PDA

View Full Version : What should I do different in my suspension setup

Gbodyolds
09-26-2007, 11:41 PM
I'm building an 86 Monte SS. Eventually I'd like to autocross it. I currently have or will be getting the following, looking for suggestions, what you would change or do differently ?

Rear:
Edelbrock double adjustable uppers with high durometer rubber bushings in the rear side.
Currie Currectrac lowers
Eibach springs
Bilstein shocks
ATR 1.375 swaybar
LS1 Camaro disc's
Urethane body bushings

Front :
SCandC AFX setup
Stock lowers with del-a-lum's (probably go to the spohn lowers eventually)
C-5 brakes
SCandC front frame brace
Eibach springs
Bilstein shocks
Herb Adams swaybar
Roll cage

Norm Peterson
09-27-2007, 09:28 AM
Not nearly as much rear bar. A 1.375" rear bar is strictly a dragstrip piece. Maybe a 1" rear bar that still attaches to the LCAs, or slightly smaller if it is endlinked to the chassis instead. By way of reference, autocross F-bodies typically run between 19mm and 22mm rear bars with a rear roll center that may be even lower relative to the car CG than it is in the A/G, and for them a 25mm (1") bar (endlinked to the chassis) is loose.

I don't know what those Eibach spring rates are, but I can tell you that 640-ish front and 165-ish rear is still a bit on the soft side for serious autocrossing in that chassis (though it does give an entirely reasonable ride). If you have good tolerance (or preference?) for a stiffish ride, I'd look at the softer end of what's available from the circle track supply houses rather than what I'm guessing are lowering springs. Catch being that Bilsteins with off-the-shelf valving might not be enough shock if you go a whole lot stiffer than the 640/165 that they seem to be OK with.

Norm

John S
09-27-2007, 10:51 AM
I can n ot get near as technical as Norm but I will add this, Be real careful with the Spohn lower arms. I had to send mine back to Spohn th have te mounts repositioned, rewelded and then re-powder coated. That was just to get them in. Then Marcus had to cut off the sway bar mounting tabs and reweld them to get the bar geometry correct. Now I've got to trim the lower shock mount plate because it extends too far outwards and rubs on the inside dia. of my rim (17") if I turn to full lock. If I could afford to just pull them off and replace them I would!

shep
09-28-2007, 09:47 PM
Marcus has new lower arms coming soon. http://www.chevelles.com/forums/showthread.php?t=171388 I know this is on a chevelle forum but his last post mentions g body arms page 10 very last post.