PDA

View Full Version : 69 camaro darts back and forth. where to start?

SatisTraction
09-26-2007, 06:52 PM
my new 69

https://www.pro-touring.com/forum/showthread.php?t=34823

darts back and forth across the road BAD. it has all new parts under the front and a new power steering gear box from ricks. it also has the QA1 coil over conversion on the front. the car really is a hand full to drive at speed and any bumps send you all over the place.

I have some speed tech uppers and 3rd gen performance steering box that i plan to install but should i look at anything else to cause this? the whole front end has new parts.

they used this kit

http://www.rickscamaros.com/product.asp?pf%5Fid=FSK%2D5&dept%5Fid=3515

I also have some DSE 2" drop springs and some lower control arms with DSE bushings and qa1 shocks that i could use.

thanks
chris

Boulder69
09-26-2007, 07:04 PM
Alignment comes to mind. That could make a huge difference if done improperly. Do a search and get the right specs and try that first.

Camaro Zach
09-26-2007, 07:11 PM
yea I would go in for an alignment. Sounds like the toe may be way out, that tends to cause a vehicle to dart all over the road.

SatisTraction
09-26-2007, 07:15 PM
so where would i get the correct specs?

chicane67
09-26-2007, 07:35 PM
-1/2 to -3/4 camber

3 to 3.5+ caster **** EDIT: Didnt see the fact that he mentioned Speed Tech arms. So the caster numbers will increase to 5*+. (Thanks for pointing that out Marcus) ****

and Id try and start out with an 1/8 to 1/16 toe in (for safety at this point) and then graduate to more toe out... until you find your sweet spot.

You could also get away with more camber... but it depends on your ride height, spring rates and driving style.

SatisTraction
09-26-2007, 07:42 PM
ok. i think i will install the speed tech uppers and the 3rd gen box before i do an alignment.

so what would be a better driver set up. the qa1 coil over set up or the DSE springs and Qa1 shocks? i have both. the coil overs are on the car and the DSE parts are on the shelf.

JEFFTATE
09-26-2007, 08:02 PM
Use QA1 coilovers.
Then you have adjustable ride height.(JMO)

importkiller69ss
09-26-2007, 08:07 PM
i had this same problem on my 69 i had all new components too.. comes to find out that the holes in the frame where the lower control arms bolt was wollowed out and also had a small crack..

SatisTraction
09-26-2007, 08:12 PM
I hope that is not the issue but i will check it out!!! the suspension tear down comes next week.

David Pozzi
09-26-2007, 10:24 PM
Give the front end a once-over for loose parts. Perhaps something wasn't tightened. Also check that the lower ball joints are not loose in the A arms.

As a Camaro settles, the inherent bump steer they have will cause more and more toe-out. Check your toe setting after checking for loose parts. Also check the backlash in the steering box, we adjusted our 68 Camaro and it helped a lot.
David

paul67
09-26-2007, 10:26 PM
If you want to do a quick check try this , get axle stand behind the car just inside the rear wheel, then get a piece of string longer than the car and tie it to the stand so that it half way up the the wheel, walk to the front with the string about 2 ft way from the car when you are at the front. Then pull the string tight and bring the string in till it hit's the front front the rear tyre,check distance repeat the other side.Will post pic's later.

Marcus SC&C
09-27-2007, 08:07 AM
All good advice. Check for loose stuff then get a good alignment and you should be fine. Chicanes numbers are good,with the SpeedTech arms you should be able to do even better on caster +5* would be great. I`d hang loose on the 3rd gen box until you get the darting sorted out. No need to add more variables than you have to. Mark SC&C

6'9"Witha69
09-27-2007, 08:21 AM
Toe is the first thing that comes to mind. My specs are:
Camber: -.75*
Caster: +6*
Toe: In 1/32"

Before I had exactly what you are talking about. Also check the front spring perches. If the 3 bolts per side came loose the rear will actually try to steer the car over over bumps (personal experience as well).

DarkoNova
09-27-2007, 07:33 PM
Before I had exactly what you are talking about. Also check the front spring perches. If the 3 bolts per side came loose the rear will actually try to steer the car over over bumps (personal experience as well).

Interesting. Maybe that's why when I go over a turn and there's a slight bump, the rear end feels like it's trying to slide sideways. I've got one bolt in one spring perch and 2 in the other. :eek:

Matt

6'9"Witha69
09-28-2007, 10:06 AM
Interesting. Maybe that's why when I go over a turn and there's a slight bump, the rear end feels like it's trying to slide sideways. I've got one bolt in one spring perch and 2 in the other. :eek:

MattThat'll do it! The worst will be on the freeway at speed. Give it a hard kick in the throttle for a couple seconds and let off. Mine would pull REALLY bad on that. I knew it wasn';t steering and put it up. Found 1 bolt per side missing and 3 of the reamaining 4 were loose. Tightened and replaced and all is better.

130fe
09-29-2007, 06:08 AM
Sounds like it could be "bumpsteer". Another thing to check is measuring the subframe and see how close it is to factory specs. I had a similiar problem with mine after I starting putting the PT stuff on. Turns our my frame was twisted like a pretzel. I swapped in a good straight frame and it drives like it should. Do your front wheels like like they are centered in the wheel openings? The first gen subframe measurements are the same. http://home.sport.rr.com/cdjrracing/f-bodyframe.htm Hope this helps.

morrisclassic
09-29-2007, 12:10 PM
Check the alignment of the steering box to the rag joint ,if there is any misalignmet the car will dart back and forth. Also you will have to continually drive the car meaning steering all the time to keep the car going straight down the road. Check the steering gear box for binding or is there too much free play in the steering before the wheels actually move. Billy

SatisTraction
09-30-2007, 04:36 AM
there is no slop in the wheel. it is a new ricks box. one more thing that is noticed. when you change lanes it is like the car is PULLED over the crown of the road.

i did check the rear spring perch bolts and they are tight. i will be diving deep into it this coing weekend.