PDA

View Full Version : The Pigeon Forge Project

Pages : [1] 2

trapin
09-26-2007, 01:38 PM
As some of you now know, Pigeon Forge was a sort of religous experience for me. While there I vowed to have my car done by the next event. To show how serious I am I thought it would be fun to do a little progress thread as I chase after my goal. As it stands now I feel I'm about 60% finished with the car. I'm not sure what the dates are for next years event so I'll just use September 1st until I get the real ones. In going over my budget, I had to make some hard decisions. There are things I REALLY want for my car but I figure they could always come later as getting the car done and running is more important. Instead of sending out my tank to Rock Valley, I am going to opt for an external Walpro pump instead. Another big ticket item I really want for this car is a Twist Machine paddle shifter and Pro-Torq convertor. It appears that those will have to be shelved for the time being too. And speaking of the convertor, since I want to ultimately run a Pro-Torq convertor, it makes no sense to buy another pricey one like a TCI or Yank or a cheapo off of eBay. So I'm thinking of running the stock convertor for now hoping that I'm not going to hate life too much with it. I'll probably go with the Summit seats in my car (my cousin has them and they're not bad) and other amenities like a battery in the trunk, Marquez lights, DS&E selectaspeed wiper motor, etc. will have to come at a later date.

Hey man...it's all in the name of getting the car done, and that can't be a bad thing. Priorities man....priorities.

And it looks like the fun has already begun. Today I recieved my AutoKraft LS1 conversion oil pan and my Classic Update Wiring Kit from the good folks at American Autowire. Let the games begin.

341 days till RTH4

CarlC
09-26-2007, 01:45 PM
Tony, git 'er done!

Dealing with the TOUGH stuff first is the way to go. You can always add on later. Don't ask my wife how I know.

Rubes
09-26-2007, 02:42 PM
Way to go Tony. I think you'll have a little "extra" time to shake it out if ya shoot for 9/1...'cause I think it's the 3rd weekend in September that we have our little bash. I guess I should make an effort to have my '61 road ready for then too. Should be easy if I get off my butt. But I wont say I'll race ya to get cars "done"...LOL

parsonsj
09-26-2007, 03:02 PM
Tony,

Sounds awesome. Do you have interim milestones (roller, start engine, glass in, etc.)?

Good luck!

jp

6'9"Witha69
09-26-2007, 04:01 PM
Good idea JP! As a project Manager (IT Application Development) there is a lot to be said for breaking the progress into iterations and mapping them. Creating a timeline with deliverables makes matching procress to the goal easier to track as well as helping it appear more attainable (nevermind the last minute rush it helps prevent). Time and money management are what project management is all about and it sounds like that is exactly what everyone wanting it done by a certain date needs. I have a lifetime parts list broken into iterations with associated dates based on funds and time availability. I won't get into capacity planning.

I look forward to following along with the progress.

trapin
09-26-2007, 04:08 PM
Here's a tentative one. This is a good idea. I should probably do a spreadsheet and crunch some numbers for more realistic numbers.

- Exterior trim and trunk finished by January 1st.

- Engine and trans in the car by March

- Interior Trim done by June

- All electrical and plumbing done by August

- Exhaust is the one thing that is scaring me the most.

I figure I gotta get everything done with a couple weeks to spare for a front end alignment, brakes inspection, fire it up, bugs, etc. It's going to be close.....REAL close.

Vinz68
09-26-2007, 04:09 PM
Tony, glad to see you got the project going. I guess I'll be going for a ride in your car next year. I'm making a list of things I want for next year too.

trapin
09-26-2007, 04:24 PM
Sweet. That car's already bad ass as it is, I can't wait to see what you've got planned. Now if we can just get more people to go down there, we'll spread around the good vibes and more people will want to get their cars done. LOL!!!

Vinz68
09-26-2007, 04:28 PM
That's the plan the more the merrier! The pic of the wiring reminded me, my new kit is still in the box. Let me know how you mke out with it. It looks like a very good kit.

Bow Tie 67
09-26-2007, 04:57 PM
Tony,

Glad to hear the event did the same for you that it did for me last year. Next year I will be there, and only missed this year due to personal issues. I have just gone into a slower mode. ( no more deadlines this year for events ) instead I'm driving the car as much as possible and then will take the winter and next summer to slowly work toward a more finished and comfortable ride.

Remember to look at the car as a whole as I did run into issues with interference between items. Even when things were mocked up several times, just try and get the overall picture as your working on each part of the car.

Matt

P.S. If it works out, hopefully we can cruise down to Pigeon Forge together.

oestek
09-26-2007, 04:58 PM
That's great Tony... nothing helps a project like a deadline. In our case, we made calendars and spreadsheets outlining time frames, but always ended up throwing them out the window thanks to outside factors like parts availability, shipping time, etc. However, they are extremely helpful from the stanpoint of making you articulate or write out the steps needed... sometimes, the project involves more than you think, and the lists help you forumlate your plan by keeping everything in the forefront.

It's going to be a killer car - we look foreward to shooting it next year!

- KO

69rs
09-26-2007, 08:02 PM
That's awesome, Tony! Good luck and I'll see you there! :cool:

andrewb70
09-26-2007, 08:06 PM
- Exhaust is the one thing that is scaring me the most.

Whats so scary about the exhaust?

Andrew

MrQuick
09-26-2007, 09:05 PM
A man on a mission, gotta love it!

Go tony go!!

trapin
09-27-2007, 01:44 AM
Whats so scary about the exhaust?

Andrew

$$$$$$$$$$$$

I don't have it figured in my budget yet because I don't know how much it will cost. I'm hoping the money just falls out of the sky. LOL!!!

Yelcamino
09-27-2007, 02:21 AM
$$$$$$$$$$$$

I don't have it figured in my budget yet because I don't know how much it will cost. I'm hoping the money just falls out of the sky. LOL!!!

First, good luck with your project! I'm working on having my Chevelle ready to roll for next year too. The real trick will be convincing my wife to drive the Elky so I can have both cars there just in case I need a spare! :naughty:

As for exhaust, I got a complete stainless 3" w/ mufflers from Pypes for $400 at a show last June. Unless of course you intend to get something more elaborate, the exhaust system shouldn't be anything to worry about.

Steve Chryssos
09-27-2007, 02:48 AM
Awesome. Don't worry about exhaust. Save it for last. Pu it at the very end of your build plan (afer driveshaft and brake lines, right Vin?) Try to make your deadline August 1st so that you have time for overruns, test drives and do-overs.

trapin
09-27-2007, 04:31 AM
First, good luck with your project! I'm working on having my Chevelle ready to roll for next year too. The real trick will be convincing my wife to drive the Elky so I can have both cars there just in case I need a spare! :naughty:

As for exhaust, I got a complete stainless 3" w/ mufflers from Pypes for $400 at a show last June. Unless of course you intend to get something more elaborate, the exhaust system shouldn't be anything to worry about.
Herb, was that a kit that you bought or did they custom make it for you? I don't want anything too elaborate. Just and exhaust coming off my LS1 Stainless Works headers that goes to crossover, into some Flowmasters and then dumps just after the tires. I think that's pretty much basic. $400 I can swing, maybe I should give them a call.

Yelcamino
09-27-2007, 05:00 AM
Herb, was that a kit that you bought or did they custom make it for you? I don't want anything too elaborate. Just and exhaust coming off my LS1 Stainless Works headers that goes to crossover, into some Flowmasters and then dumps just after the tires. I think that's pretty much basic. $400 I can swing, maybe I should give them a call.

It was a complete kit. One thing they did do for me was ship me a pair of their 18" Race Flow mufflers (at no extra charge) because they only had the smaller ones (14" or 16" I think) on the truck. My goal was to have high flowing mufflers that didn't wake up the neighborhood and they recomended the 18 inchers. For an extra $60 I also got a nice pair of stainless oval tips. From my one experience with Pypes, I'd say they're a decent company to work with - good people and good service. I guess you can't ask for much more than that now-a-days.

And like Steve mentioned, I'd save the exhaust for last or close to last.

parsonsj
09-27-2007, 05:13 AM
Tony,

One word of advice: buy parts as you go. Don't buy them months in advance because your plan will evolve and you will end up with parts you don't need or want.

For your exhaust, do the research, but don't buy the kit until a week or so before you mean to install it.

jp

trapin
09-27-2007, 05:23 AM
Actually, I know have a price for the exhaust. I just called Great Lakes Customs in Mount Clemens and the owner (Greg) who I've actually been acquainted with for over 16 years quoted me a price of around $600 for a complete mandrel bent exhaust. That's with the O2 sensors installed, 2.5 inch pipe, H-pipe crossover. So I guess it won't be that bad after all.

Vinz68
09-27-2007, 06:19 AM
Awesome. Don't worry about exhaust. Save it for last. Pu it at the very end of your build plan (afer driveshaft and brake lines, right Vin?) Try to make your deadline August 1st so that you have time for overruns, test drives and do-overs.I worried about the the driveshaft and brakelines so much it almost took me out...lol and towards the end it really wasn't a big deal.

parsonsj
09-27-2007, 06:24 AM
Many times I've worried and analyzed some new step to the point that I lost sleep. It usually was less of a problem than I thought it would be.

jp

MuscleRodz
09-27-2007, 07:22 AM
Tony, you might consider the electrical before interior in your schedule so your not doing anywork twice. Also if you have to buy a converter anyways, it will be cheaper in the long run to buy the Pro-torque converter and be done with it rather than buy a cheaper one and changing it out later. I always try to consider the cost of any rework when making sacrifices in a build. Maybe that is why my personal projects take so long, I HATE compromising!

Mike

Steve Chryssos
09-27-2007, 09:06 AM
Actually, I know have a price for the exhaust. I just called Great Lakes Customs in Mount Clemens and the owner (Greg) who I've actually been acquainted with for over 16 years quoted me a price of around $600 for a complete mandrel bent exhaust. That's with the O2 sensors installed, 2.5 inch pipe, H-pipe crossover. So I guess it won't be that bad after all.

That's a good price and a worthwhile investment when considering the ground clearance issues we all face. A custom exhaust will go a long way towards eliminating the chance for scrapes as well as rattling and interference. Like I said--do the exhaust last.

GT500KR_Vert
09-27-2007, 09:22 AM
That's funny; I do the same thing. I think it's an IT thing.

Good idea JP! As a project Manager (IT Application Development) there is a lot to be said for breaking the progress into iterations and mapping them. Creating a timeline with deliverables makes matching procress to the goal easier to track as well as helping it appear more attainable (nevermind the last minute rush it helps prevent). Time and money management are what project management is all about and it sounds like that is exactly what everyone wanting it done by a certain date needs. I have a lifetime parts list broken into iterations with associated dates based on funds and time availability. I won't get into capacity planning.

I look forward to following along with the progress.

67SSDan
09-27-2007, 03:57 PM
Awesome man! Get it done!

Dan

Kenova
09-27-2007, 04:28 PM
Tony,

One word of advice: buy parts as you go. Don't buy them months in advance because your plan will evolve and you will end up with parts you don't need or want. jp

JP is right. Don't ask me how I know.:hammer:

Many times I've worried and analyzed some new step to the point that I lost sleep. It usually was less of a problem than I thought it would be.
jp

My number one problem. It can be outright paralizing.

Ken

JWilson
09-27-2007, 07:12 PM
I do it to. Paralysis by analysis, I've heard it called.

$600 seems pretty reasonable for that much exhaust work. True duals from the headers to the back bumper with plain ole turbos cost me $250 installed on the '79.

Kenova
09-28-2007, 05:28 PM
I do it to. Paralysis by analysis, I've heard it called.

Excellent! Now I have a name for it.:pat:
Have any cures?

Ken

JWilson
09-29-2007, 06:22 AM
The only cure that I know of at this time is, as we say in the south, to "just by God do it". And my experience is that with a lot of other remedies the side effects can be pretty bad.

trapin
10-10-2007, 04:43 PM
Big hurdle cleared today, finally got my heads. I opted to go with 243 castings (LS6) per Andrew Borodin's recommendation but got them as Stage II from Patriot Performance. They're not much to bragg about but should work great with my cam. They are CNC ported, have a competition valve job, double springs, 2.00/1.55, and were new castings. Now I just need a couple small things and I can start stitching the engine back together.

Taylor1969
10-10-2007, 04:55 PM
$$$$$$$$$$$$

How about do what I did... Pypes xpipe from Summit $125. 2 magnaflow mufflers - $120

Dump right in front of the rear

Total of $240

Bill Howell
10-10-2007, 05:08 PM
I am reading this thread Tony, and loving the fact RTTH 3 inspired you. More than that though, here it is almost a month later and you are still on board....a true convert....hehe
You are thinking right too, get the car going then you can always go back and upgrade. Trust me, if coming to the event fired you up, imagine what driving the car will do....hehe
So many on this board over analyze their cars so much they will NEVER finish them.
The event is always the 3rd weekend in Sept. just FYI.
See ya then, IN THE CAMARO!!

trapin
10-10-2007, 05:41 PM
Bill, I hope this thread does for others what RTH3 did for me and we have a major flood of new/finished cars.

We're gonna have us a religious revival the 3rd week of September.

It's gonna be like that scene from 'Close Encounters Of The Third Kind" where the alien ship lands and out comes all these people who have been missing for many years. Instead in our case it will be people's cars. LOL!!!!

Steve1968LS2
10-10-2007, 05:57 PM
Hey Tony, you have a PM about some parts to help you on your way. :)

Steven

Smock67
10-10-2007, 07:01 PM
good to see you have a plan of action. i wish i had done that. Goals are always good to have but i would agree and say shoot for august 1st for everything to be done. Then you have plenty of time for those unfortunate bugs that always seem to arise.

trapin
11-04-2007, 05:22 PM
Folks...."The Mill"....she is done.

Here's what we got....

LS1/LS6 Hybrid
LS1 bottem end
LS6 Stage II heads
LS6 Intake
LS6 PVC System
LS6 Ported Oil Pump
LS2 Timing Chain
Thunder Racing 224/224 .563/.563 114
Hardened 7.4 pushrods
ARP Rod Bolts
ARP Head Bolts
AutoKraft Oil Pan

The engine was painted in Duplicolor Cast Aluminum engine paint. The serpentine drive and underpulley will be stock. I'm waiting on my Throttle Body, that's down in Tampa, FL right now being ported by Jeremy Formato at Fastproms. It's also awaiting two sensors which should be in Tuesday and I gotta get my balancer on. After it's in the car I'll bolt up the power steering pump, alternator, and harmonic balancer. I decided to keep the mill mostly stock looking. I like it like that, strictley business.

The motor and trans will be in the car next weekend and after that I will have my driveshaft modified at DTS and then I'm done for the year. 2008's gonna be fun.:twothumbs

dropit69
11-04-2007, 05:51 PM
looking good Tony can't wait to see it at RTTH4..wohoooo

67SSDan
11-05-2007, 03:57 AM
Sweet! Keep it up man!

GeoffP
11-05-2007, 08:30 AM
I agree with a lot that's said here. Don't buy stuff too soon or you may end up going a different direction. I just got my 68 drivable YESTERDAY from a project that was supposed to take 6-8 weeks. It ended up taking almost a year and a half thanks to surprise expenses (long story that I may tell in my own thread one day). Having said this, I look forward to seeing you and your car completed at RTTH4 - I plan to be there too barring any unforseen complications. Oh - one last thing - BE PATIENT. Things will come together when you least expect it and then suddenly you're done, or at least that's what happened to me...

Steve68
11-05-2007, 09:42 AM
Looking Good Tony, Next year I'll be there, most likely no car!

trapin
11-05-2007, 09:46 AM
Thanks Geoff. Yeah I made sure I was patient with this build (or at least my wallet made sure). This engine was the best choice for the type of car I'm building. From the shortblock to the cam choice, intake, etc. It should be a lot of fun and not be overkill for the application. 370-380rwhp should be enough for my 26" tall Nitto's.

Steve...as long as your there, thats all that counts. :)

CarlC
11-05-2007, 01:41 PM
Tony,

Sounds like you are making good progress.

One suggestion. Put the balancer on before stabbing the engine in. LS1 specs have the front of the crank snout approx. 1/8" behind the front of the front of the balancer hub. Heat the balancer to 230* and she'll slide right on. No tools necessary.

You will have enough room to clear the radiator support.

parsonsj
11-05-2007, 02:16 PM
No tools necessary.Other than an oven mitt, you mean. :)

It does work, though.

Tony, keep us posted on your progress. IV is only months away.

jp

trapin
11-05-2007, 06:26 PM
Thanks for the info, Carl. I will get that done this week. By the way...would either you or John have any recommendations on where to bolt the chain to the block for the lift into the engine cabin? If you look on the front of the engine you will see where I have it bolted with a hardened bolt and it's in rougly the same postion on the opposite side of the block in the back. I'm thinking I might have a hard time unbolting the chain in the back once the engine is in so I might move the rear bolt to the side of the head, but then the chain will be putting immense pressure on the coil plate and valve cover. Any ideas?

hotrdblder
11-05-2007, 06:56 PM
killer work tony, i wish you luck in getting it done for pigeon forge next year

6'9"Witha69
11-06-2007, 10:23 AM
Deleted. I assumed.

trapin
11-08-2007, 05:35 PM
Well, I got the balancer on tonight. That sucker did not want to just slip right on. I ended up having to heat it up to 265 degrees and even then it took some hammering with a rubber mallet to get the balancer on to the point where I could thread the bolt on about 4 or 5 threads. Once I got it on those first few threads it bolted on real easy. LS1howto says to torque the original bolt down to 240 ft lbs to ensure it is all the way on, then to take a new bolt and torque it down to 37 and then turn it one last time 140 degrees. I did all that but I could only wrench that sucker to about 95 degrees on the engine stand without having the damn engine flip over on top of me.

Good times. :)

JMarsa
11-08-2007, 08:20 PM
Good work Tony!

--JMarsa

BonzoHansen
11-09-2007, 08:20 AM
240 ft/lbs?!? Zoinks! I'm not even sure my t.wrenches go that high.

parsonsj
11-09-2007, 08:41 AM
Yeah ... it's a big bolt. Glad you got it on there.

What's next?

jp

trapin
11-10-2007, 06:47 AM
What's next?

Today I am going to test fit the engine into the engine bay to verify that the conversion plates and mounts will line up. If so...I might attempt to put the engine in and then secure it from behind with a peice of 1X1 wood against the firewall. Then I would do the transmission tommorow. I am still up in the air over whether I want to put the engine and trans in together but I'm freaked out about cracking my aluminum cylinder heads with all that weight. I have the chain bolted to my accessory holes. What do you guys think?

SatisTraction
11-10-2007, 07:45 AM
i put my ls1 and t56 in as one. i used a leveler and had the chain bolted to 4 points. it was a hell of an angle and then i used floor jack under the tranny to help me get it all into place.

andrewb70
11-10-2007, 07:59 AM
Tony,

Save yourself a huge hassle and install the engine and trans together. There are absolutely no issues with doing that. No worries!

Andrew

parsonsj
11-10-2007, 08:05 AM
Tony,

If you can wrestle the drive train together, that's probably the way to do it. It's easier to stab the tranny on the ground than trying to do it over your head lying on your back. You'll need 3 guys: one underneath the car, one on top, and one on the jack. Your jackman needs to have a thick skin, and not get offended when you bark commands (iow, a wife is not the best choice, lol). Be sure to have a floor jack handy to be a temporary crossmember.

As far as using accessory drive holes, they'll be fine, especially if they are 12mm or larger. Even cheap 12mm bolts are rated at more than 4000 lbs in tension. Just be sure you've got at least 3/4" of useable thread in the head or block. Use a folded up cloth to keep the chains from scratching the heads or valve covers (and get the cloth back into the bathroom before your wife finds out).

Hope that helps.

jp

Rubes
11-10-2007, 09:01 AM
yeah Tony, all at once is the way to go. It is a bit scary to swing it in over the header panel, but just go slow and it will be fine. I use a load leveler and do it by myself all the time. I dont even use a floor jack. Oh yeah, I just cut up some bike tire inner tubes and slip them over the chains. I'll make a good husband some day...LOL

Bow Tie 67
11-10-2007, 05:56 PM
Yep just use the bolt holes on the heads with the engine trany combo. I have put a 6 speed in from under the car and it sucks big time!!!

trapin
11-19-2007, 09:46 PM
Apparantly I'm having issues posting pictures as of late. Don't know what's causing this to happen.

Steve68
11-20-2007, 02:57 AM
I put mine in with no problems, the old style way, BUT I don't have the front clip on and this is just the mock up motor, but by myself with a hoist just slide right in, Now to build the real motor,

Tony fix the pics, I wanna see,

Vinz68
11-21-2007, 02:49 PM
Tony did you decide on a shifter yet?

trapin
11-22-2007, 08:39 PM
Yep. I'm going to go with the one that I posted. The TCI outlaw. I love the look of it.

By the way...here's those photos. Looks like I'm using Photobucket from now on. The image requirements in here are getting too stringent. Once again I will say, having an engine and a car that are seperated by 32 years of automotive evolution can be quite maddening at times. The motor mounts and the conversion plates took some finessing, but it's finally in. Next up is to angle the trans, bolt in the crossmember and then have the driveshaft made. Then it's on to finishing the exterior trim and then I jump underneath her this Winter to do all the plumbling for the fuel lines and brakes. Busy, busy, busy. Surprised to see where my ride height ended up in the front with the full weight of the LS1 and 4L60E. Seems kinda low. But I like it. :)

https://static1.pt-content.com/images/pt/2007/11/Jareds6th102-1.jpg

https://static1.pt-content.com/images/pt/2007/11/Jareds6th110-1.jpg

https://static1.pt-content.com/images/pt/2007/11/Jareds6th230-1.jpg

protouring70
11-23-2007, 06:22 AM
Looks just like it belongs there!

dropit69
11-23-2007, 07:23 AM
looking killer Tony but the wife is gonna be Pissed you used all the good blankets !!!!...lol

trapin
11-23-2007, 09:57 AM
looking killer Tony but the wife is gonna be Pissed you used all the good blankets !!!!...lol
LOL!!! I've already heard it from her.

awr68
11-23-2007, 10:54 PM
Looking good Tony! What are you doing for headers?

Steve68
11-23-2007, 11:34 PM
too funny, nice blankets!!!!

JEFFTATE
11-24-2007, 07:01 AM
I want an LS motor sooo bad.
Congrats Tony.
Can't wait to see the car.

Young Gun
11-24-2007, 08:53 AM
looks awsome! whats next??

69Nova
11-24-2007, 01:49 PM
Looks great Tony. You da man!

Mr.VENGEANCE
11-24-2007, 05:04 PM
damn tony.. it looks like any minute it woulda started raining..

Kenova
11-24-2007, 08:25 PM
damn tony.. it looks like any minute it woulda started raining..

More like SNOW.

Ken

strangler
11-25-2007, 06:18 AM
Looks really nice Tony. Keep it up!

trapin
11-25-2007, 03:02 PM
Yeah, you guy's like my pretty blankets? Nothin' but the best for my baby. LOL!!!

Thanks for the compliments, guys. It actually was drizzling a little that day off and on. And it was COLD. But the deed needed to happen. I just finally finished angling the transmission and the crossmember is bolted in. I measured for the driveshaft today and I'll be dropping that off at DTS tommorow afternoon. I am surprised that my original Powerglide yoke slides onto the 4L60E shaft. Amazing. Once I install the driveshaft that will probably be it for the rest of the year. I have some issues to attend to around the house. I'll be back at it after the first of the year.

Steve68
11-25-2007, 05:11 PM
Oh, I'm sure theres small things you can do, Like I just did my mirrors and steering column, next is clutch linkage, the little things,

trapin
12-03-2007, 05:44 PM
The drivetrain is finally finished with the addition of the driveshaft. Too bad something so nice looking has to be hidden away under the car. This piece comes from the good folks at DTS (Drive Train Specialists). They were a terrific help and turned this one around in under a day. It looks blotchy but that's actually condensation from bringing it in from outside. Cold as hell here in Michigan right now.

https://static1.pt-content.com/images/pt/2007/12/Jareds6th242-1.jpg

Rybar
12-03-2007, 05:54 PM
Tony, the project is looking real good. That motor looks great in there.

trapin
12-03-2007, 06:00 PM
Thanks. :)

CarlC
12-03-2007, 06:57 PM
It's coming along nicely Tony. I think you will find that it's going to turn out better than you thought even though it's not 100% everything you wanted. It looks great from this end.

Are you planning on keeping the fuel pressure gauge in place long-term? Having a fuel pressure gauge fail due to vibration, with high-pressure fuel behind it, is not pretty. Besides, it's kinda hard to read while driving.

You may want to consider painting the driveshaft. Corrosion + high stress are not a good mix.

What headers are you using?

EDIT: Nevermind. SW LS1 headers. Please post pics when installation starts. I think you may find that a few tubes will need to be cut/rerouted/welded with your mounts.

Motown 454
12-03-2007, 07:37 PM
Tony very nice build, looks like you have everything under control. Should be sweet when your done. Can't wait to see more pictures.
Wayne

trapin
12-04-2007, 03:12 AM
Thanks for the kind words, guys.

Carl, the driveshaft comes clearcoated from DTS.

Also, yes...Stainless Works headers. They're actually being built as we speak. I should have them at the end of the month. If I have to cut, reroute, or weld anything then I am going to be up sh*t's creek without a paddle....I can't do that stuff. LOL!!! When I went to order these headers, Stainless told me this was the part number that I needed and that they are specially made to work with the factory power steering box and S&P motor mounts. Damn....I sure hope you're wrong, Carl. LOL!!! If not I might have to send these down to Parsons in Orlando. LOL!!!

67SSDan
12-04-2007, 04:06 AM
Oooo... that would suck. Keep us posted on whether or not they work.

Dan

Rybar
12-04-2007, 08:30 AM
Also, yes...Stainless Works headers. They're actually being built as we speak. I should have them at the end of the month. If I have to cut, reroute, or weld anything then I am going to be up sh*t's creek without a paddle....I can't do that stuff. LOL!!! When I went to order these headers, Stainless told me this was the part number that I needed and that they are specially made to work with the factory power steering box and S&P motor mounts. Damn....I sure hope you're wrong, Carl. LOL!!! If not I might have to send these down to Parsons in Orlando. LOL!!!

Don't worry they will work.

BuddyP
12-04-2007, 10:24 AM
Awsome to see Tony!! Looks like you got er all cleaned up nice! Can't wait for the day that I not only get a LSX for the car... but the day I can put it in! Way to get my motivation going!!

Can you PM me all the info on the driveshaft (length etc.)? Since I'll be using the same one on my end as well.

Keep the updates and pics coming!!

trapin
12-04-2007, 11:36 AM
Just tell em 50 and 1/4 inches. That's what mine measured out to be. Fit like a glove too. I was surprised to learn that my old driveshaft yoke from the original Powerglide transmission fit into the 4L60E. But I didn't end up using the old driveshaft, I had a whole new one made with a 3" tube and new ends.

BuddyP
12-04-2007, 01:24 PM
Just tell em 50 and 1/4 inches. That's what mine measured out to be. Fit like a glove too. I was surprised to learn that my old driveshaft yoke from the original Powerglide transmission fit into the 4L60E. But I didn't end up using the old driveshaft, I had a whole new one made with a 3" tube and new ends.
What $$ did it set you back? I just remembered, you went with an auto... I'll be using a T56

6'9"Witha69
12-04-2007, 02:10 PM
Even with an auto you would want to measure for yourself as some plates move the engine back/forward/up/down in various combinations so what works for one probably will not work for another unless all mounting is identical.

trapin
12-05-2007, 11:21 AM
Yeah...you'll need to measure regardless, Buddy. I highly recommend DTS. They're up in Warren, might not be a long drive for you. I paid $250 out the door and they had it done in a day. They will set you straight on how to angle the trans and measure for the driveshaft. Good people, they know their stuff. Ask for Rob if go through them.

CarlC
12-05-2007, 12:41 PM
Sorry, I thought you were using a different set of mounts. The S&P mount should work fine.

I'll be tring to shoehorn the SW's with ATS plates and possibly short frame mounts.

Most exhaust shops can cut and reroute tubes.

trapin
12-05-2007, 02:41 PM
By "short frame mounts" do you mean the 327 mounts?

Well...if it comes down to it I do know a good exhaust shop down the road. But I hope not. LOL!!!

awr68
12-09-2007, 12:15 PM
I think they will work...nice progress Tony!! :)

Roger Poirier
12-09-2007, 06:30 PM
Tony,

I have been keeping an eye on your thread from the start. After I get my heart recharged I would like to come over and check out the progress.

I'm looking forward to RTTH4 . You and I need to bring a video camera next time. :)

R.P.

trapin
12-10-2007, 08:45 AM
Most definitely, Roger. When you're well and able we'll have to have you and the Mrs. over for dinner or something.

mixon
12-11-2007, 04:55 PM
Good luck with the build!

trapin
01-03-2008, 09:10 AM
Santa brought a late present to my house. These are Stainless Works headers part #CALS1B for the stock steering box. The quality of these headers is amazing and they fit like a glove with the S&P motor mounts. Here's a few pics. I highly recommend them. And I must say I highly recommend the S&P motor plates too. The one drawback is that they do keep the motor a little more forward than other plates do but for a street car I think it's worth it to sacrifice the little bit of weight transfer advantage for better fitment of your parts. I also had no issues with my alternator to frame clearance either.

https://static1.pt-content.com/images/pt/2008/01/2008075-1.jpg

https://static1.pt-content.com/images/pt/2008/01/2008074-1.jpg

https://static1.pt-content.com/images/pt/2008/01/2008077-1.jpg

https://static1.pt-content.com/images/pt/2008/01/2008079-1.jpg

wiedemab
01-03-2008, 09:44 AM
Wow - nice! I hope you left Santa some good cookies.

Vinz68
01-03-2008, 10:09 AM
Lookin good Tony. I can't wait to go for a ride @RTTH 4 :woot:

DJW32
01-03-2008, 10:32 AM
Nice.

GeoffP
01-03-2008, 10:36 AM
Tony,

Do you have to cut up the floor pan to get a T56 to fit with the S&P mounting plates?

Steve1968LS2
01-03-2008, 11:06 AM
Are you keeping that gear box or replacing it? If replacing it then pay the extra to have it thermal coated.

Nice to see the project moving along so well, can't wait to see it killing cones at PF. ;)

trapin
01-03-2008, 11:10 AM
Thanks guys. I plan to keep the gear box. I did have that thought when I saw how close the pipes were to it. The box is coated in POR-15. I hope it holds up. If not...oh well. LOL!!!

Geoff....not sure on the T56. This car is a 4L60E. I would give S&P a call on that one. I don't think you'd have to though. I've never heard of anyone having to do that with these plates.

Steve1968LS2
01-03-2008, 11:15 AM
Thanks guys. I plan to keep the gear box. I did have that thought when I saw how close the pipes were to it. The box is coated in POR-15. I hope it holds up. If not...oh well. LOL!!!

Well the thermal coating is to help, to some degree, stop all that heat from transmitting into your ps fluid. :)

Project if moving along VERY nicely.. you should be proud!

Rybar
01-03-2008, 01:59 PM
Looks awesome Tony. I'm glad the SW headers worked out for you. I knew they would.

Rubes
01-03-2008, 03:07 PM
Lookin Good Tony...I'm gonna hold you to giving me that "blast" in that thing you promissed me. Even though I should have my Judge there this year. haha...this year, its great to be able to say that...I cant wait!!! get your rooms early guy's!!

trapin
01-03-2008, 03:33 PM
Yep I need to jump on that, never too early.

The heat effecting the PS fluid is a good point. I should try to fab something up to act as a barrier.

hank67
01-03-2008, 03:41 PM
Hey Tony I think you have started something. I 'm also on the push trying to make it. I can't wait. Had a blast last year hangin out with Lou and Jessie. Your car looks great!

awr68
01-03-2008, 03:46 PM
Looks great Tony, I was praying they were going to fit that well!! :)

CarlC
01-03-2008, 07:52 PM
Tony, it's looking great!

Can you please do me a favor? Can you drop a plumb bob down from the front of the waterpump shaft down and take a referance measurement to the K-member? I want to determine the fore/aft position.

Tx.

Steve Chryssos
01-03-2008, 11:53 PM
Great progress Tony. I can almost hear it running. :headbang:

DCx
01-04-2008, 01:48 AM
looks like we are neck to neck in the swap race! haha. your car looks amazing tony. wish i went with the s&p plates and stainless works headers.

hurry up! i want to hear what my cam sounds like.

67SSDan
01-04-2008, 03:58 AM
Ah yeah... I was wondering when we'd see another update. Good stuff!

Dan

trapin
01-04-2008, 04:05 AM
Thanks guys. Carl, no problem...I'll jump on that when I get home from work today.

DCx....yeah, I wanna hear what your cam sounds like too. LOL!!!!

Steve68
01-04-2008, 05:05 AM
Good progress Tony, nothing here,

GeoffP
01-04-2008, 06:06 AM
Seems there's several of us trying to get their cars together "in time." I'll throw in a me too to the mix...

Bow Tie 67
01-24-2008, 11:26 AM
Ditto, not sure how finished it will look but it should be ready to rock and roll.

Rubes
01-24-2008, 11:36 AM
Ditto, not sure how finished it will look but it should be ready to rock and roll.
Have you cut off the sheetmetal yet?? I thought you were gonna race it for a year the way it was first??? I'll take the Judge if the '61 aint done.

trapin
04-06-2008, 04:22 PM
Well I'm finally back at it as the weather in Michigan finally FINALLY broke and we got our first real day of Spring today. I am currently in the process of installing my side glass and weatherstripping, sound deadener, etc. Took me awhile to finally get my hands on the proper literature for this install. For those of you that have first gen Camaros and have the Assembly Manual, don't bother looking in there because they don't touch on the window install in that manual for some reason. Must have been left out accidentally when they did the reprints. For this you will need the Service Manual for 1968. I found mine on eBay and let me tell you....I would not wish this job on my worst enemy. It is NOT fun at all. I will see if I can get some pics later this week. I'm back at it and it sure felt great to be back in the garage with the sun shining, the radio going, and having to tell the kids every 5 minutes to get out of the garage. LOL!!!

Young Gun
04-06-2008, 06:12 PM
ok even if it wasnt funn...PICS!!! lol

trapin
04-15-2008, 05:16 AM
Well guys, it's time to concede defeat on my quest to make RTH4. What happened? Life happened, that's what happened. It seems like every time I come into some money to throw at the car, something happens and the funds need to be spent on something else. This year my wife and I are expecting child number 3 (which isn't a bad thing at all) and I had to set aside our tax return money for her Maternity leave this Summer. So there goes THAT money. Then GM decides to give all their employees a profit sharing check this year. I think to myself, "Awesome". Shortly before I get the check my truck decides it wants a new fuel pump ($736) and then my son decides he wants to hit rocks with a tennis racket in our backyard and ends up taking out the window in our neighbors doorwall to the tune of $450. Well...there goes $1186 right down the drain. Even the puny Tax check we're supposed to get from George W. in May is already spent. I just can't win...it's becoming too daunting of a task and I'm tired of worring about it. I have a new son or daughter on the way in July and I gotta prepare for that. So I'm throwing in the towel, I will not have the car at RTH4 this year. I am very disappointed about it but then I have to be happy about all the progress I've made since October, so in that respect I feel RTH3 served me well. And I still have a ton of work to do on the car this Summer that doesn't require spending money so I'll still be giving updates. Looks like it's now a quest for RTH5. Oh well....I guess there are worse things in life. Thanks for everyones encouragement the past 7 months.

Yelcamino
04-15-2008, 05:29 AM
That's a bummer! But as they say "life happens" so don't beat yourself up too bad. You've made great progress so you're that much closer to getting it done. It's all good!

Mr.VENGEANCE
04-15-2008, 05:50 AM
damn..

i was wondering why the *dead* in the title..

i know how you feel man.. good luck comes round the bend after bad luck takes its leave..

just gotta weather the bad.. to open the door for the good.

69TAPoser
04-15-2008, 06:51 AM
Deadlines are tough and they can take the fun out of a build. A buddy of mine is building a '67 Bird vert while I am building my '69 Bird. We both agreed NOT to set deadlines for this reason and just enjoy building them.

I think you have a lot to be very happy about: new child on the way, lots of progress since Oct., you still have your job (so the finances have recently pulled money away from your build...but this will change); not to mention an awesome car.

You are close to finishing a great car. I wouldn't let missing a deadline and an event get you down. You have way too many good things going! There will be an RTH5 and when you show up wth your ride, RTH4 will be a distant memory.

Hang in there!

Phil

Damn True
04-15-2008, 07:36 AM
Is it possible to get the thing moving under it's own power?

Who cares if it's "done"? Can it be drivable?

Rubes
04-15-2008, 08:57 AM
First off, congratulations on the new child. Second, that shows ya that you need to spend more time out in the garage even during those cold Michigan winters...LOL

You already know that you dont need to have a car at RTTH to have fun. Yours will be done someday, in the mean time just enjoy working on it when you can. You can ride with me if you manage to make it down this year.

6'9"Witha69
04-15-2008, 10:38 AM
Tony, you really aren't throwing in the towel or giving up, just delaying release due to an unexpected event during development (damn, there'ss that IT project manager in me coming out =).

Glad to see the positive attitude you always seem to have still shining through. Keep on doing what you can.

trapin
04-15-2008, 10:41 AM
True, just getting it moving and driveable was what I was shooting for. For that I need about 5 grand. I just don't see where I'm going to get the money now that the other money is gone. I was counting on tax returns and the profit sharing check to bring me across the finish line. Tax return money was the victim of the newborn (which is a good thing..LOL!!) and the profit sharing check was the victim of Uncle Sam (who took 40%...no kidding), the truck, and my 8 year old. Now my wife tells me she and her sisters want to take their Mom up north to a casino for Memorial Day weekend so there goes the tax check from George W.

I gotta tell ya....I don't know whether to laugh or cry about it. I guess I should just laugh because really there's nothing I could have done about any of those things (well...except keep my hands off my wife last November LOL!!!). And like I said...there are greater tragedies in the world, I'm certainly counting my blessings.

Rubes....if you need a co-pilot this year, I'd be honored. Sounds like fun, and I will definitely still be down in Tennessee. Car or no car.

CarlC
04-15-2008, 11:17 AM
Don't let it get you down. I agree about how timetables can kill a project for the average Joe who does most of their own work on a budget. Yes it's nice to have goals, but not the expense of what really counts.

Congrats on the new addition!

LMDGUY
04-15-2008, 11:21 AM
just sound like your a good husband and dad. You can just look at it this you can do all the lillle detail that your proably couldnt do with the current dealine you had set. This being the first year in while that I have decided to build a full cutom project and my GF decided to go back to school, it has made it a lil rough but life always come first before any car/truck project.... Congrats on the new kid!

2Bad4Ya
04-15-2008, 11:28 AM
Noob question but what does rth4 mean? Run through the hills 4 ?

Damn True
04-15-2008, 11:41 AM
True, just getting it moving and driveable was what I was shooting for. For that I need about 5 grand. I just don't see where I'm going to get the money now that the other money is gone. I was counting on tax returns and the profit sharing check to bring me across the finish line. Tax return money was the victim of the newborn (which is a good thing..LOL!!) and the profit sharing check was the victim of Uncle Sam (who took 40%...no kidding), the truck, and my 8 year old. Now my wife tells me she and her sisters want to take their Mom up north to a casino for Memorial Day weekend so there goes the tax check from George W.

Totally understand and support your decision. Here's to adults who make good decisions regarding money and taking care of their families.

Damn few left.

vp23271
04-15-2008, 12:18 PM
Looks like it's now a quest for RTH5.

Sounds like you have a solid "Plan B"!

Keep your head up and just keep chipping away at your list of things to do for your car. Like you said "life happens" and you just have to roll with the punches and never give up. Good luck and keep posting pic's of your progress thru the summer.

Boulder69
04-15-2008, 12:20 PM
I feel your pain. Look at my sig - its been that way for 2 years! Between my old house and other toys that keep breaking I just never seem to get the funds for wheels and that Lee box to get all of my stuff out of boxes and on the car.

But my other excuse is far less noble than all of yours. I'm 36 and single by design. I spend too much on sushi, tequila, and ladies. :Alchy::naughty:

Hang in there - your project is awesome and you will enjoy #5 that much more with all this other stuff behind you and another rug rat to come home to.

andrewb70
04-15-2008, 04:37 PM
Noob question but what does rth4 mean? Run through the hills 4 ?

Yes.

Tony,

Sorry to hear about the project going on hold, but life has a way of making that happen. I am hoping that the GTO will be all done and dialed in for RTH4.

Andrew

trapin
04-15-2008, 05:51 PM
Cool, I'll be looking forward to seeing it. And thanks for the kind words everyone. Like I said, you'll still see updates as I have a ton of work to do to it this Summer.

Young Gun
04-15-2008, 06:26 PM
ok 4 was a bad number anyways...5 is much better...
cinquo de mayo
january 5th 1933, construction on the golden gate bridge begins
february 5 1934, hank arron was born
april 5th is arbor day
june 5 1956 elvis presley introduced the song Hound Dog
probably the most important, on July 5 1946, the bikini was introduced in Paris

i mean seriously... 5 is just better than 4... plain and simple...

but really, sorry to hear things are not working out exactly as planned, have faith they will work out, but i have the utmost respect for you Tony, you have your priorities strait and know your family comes first...congrats on another kid also, you have alot going for yah!

OLDFLM
04-15-2008, 06:53 PM
Hey Tony!

Hang in there brother! We're in the same boat! LOL

How long ago was it I talked to you about wanting to PT my 'bird?

My (last) son is due June 19th! (c:]

Do you want the oars or the rudder? LMAO

V/R,
Ty

trapin
04-16-2008, 02:20 AM
I'll take a life preserver. LOL!!!

Rubes
04-16-2008, 03:20 AM
True, just getting it moving and driveable was what I was shooting for. For that I need about 5 grand...
WOW, I guess your not as far along as i thought. I guess that means still no suspension, brakes, wheels/tires eh? How close are you to getting it all wired and fired? I bet if you get that banner up where you can see it everyday, you'll get motivated...LOL

trapin
04-16-2008, 05:29 AM
Rubes...I have that banner up now. I've been meaning to snap a pic to show it off. Actually all that other stuff is done, it's the LS1 that is complicating matters. If I had just done a traditional small block I would probably be done by now. But I'm glad I went the route I did anyway. The interior is another point of contention. Seats are expensive and I still need some of my gauges and the headliner installed. Doing a car from scratch is a loooooooong journey.

LS7427
04-16-2008, 05:55 AM
Tony, don't even worry about it. It'll get done. Your family is more important, as you know. Mine took a year longer than expected, and I was lucky in the fact that my dad is into this stuff, and helped me out financially, just because he wanted to see it finished. It was his idea to get the LS7, so I told him right then that I wouldn't be able to do it without his help. I would be about halfway done if not for that, so keep your chin up, you're doing great! Like you said, the LS swap changes things, but you'll be happier in the long run. Hey, we need to get together sometime soon and go for a rip. Are you going to make it to the tech center show in a couple weeks?

Steve Chryssos
04-16-2008, 06:02 AM
T,
Congratulations on child number 3. "Life is what happens when you were making other plans" That's a John Lennon quote. He also said: "Reality leaves a lot to the imagination" AND "A dream you dream alone is only a dream. A dream you dream together is reality" :hmm:

Okay, I'm feeling sappy this morning. And I have that "not so fresh" feeling from the 14 oatmeal raisin cookies that I ate last night. Sue me. Point is, I would very much like you to retract the word "dead" as it relates to the word "project". The project ain't dead. The deadline is dead. And without that RTH4 deadline, you would not have made it this far. The engine/trans might not be in the car. You pushed to get it done, and life pushed back. RTH4 or not, you're ahead of the curve.
As for dreaming together, I suggest that you post a comprehensive list of remaining parts and tasks, so that we can look at the project as a group. As you make the list, label the status of parts as either in-house or need to buy. Try to prioritize it, but don't go crazy. We'll tweak it together--including new milestones, but excluding dates. You will ultimately need to fill in the dates yourself based on budgeting, but we can help you formulate the project's direction (i.e. rugs vs. exhaust). We will also go back and list major milestones that are already complete. I take my car apart every year. I always start a new plan by listing a few completed tasks. That way I can cross them off immediately. :pat: In turn, the public exercise will help others build their own plans.

You will not be done with your RTH4 project, until you formally re-assess the plan.

I don't even like John Lennon.

Bow Tie 67
04-16-2008, 06:30 AM
Congrats Tony, not only on child #3 but on getting the monkey of your back so to speak.

Last year I was bound and determined to make the power tour with my 69. Once I finally made the decision / realization that it was not going to happen, I actually enjoyed working on the car that much more. Deadlines can really suck the fun out of this hobby, even if there self imposed. Now you can savor the work you get done on it, just like a good steak.

Matt

Rybar
04-16-2008, 07:17 AM
Hey Tony, congrats on child #3 and don't worry about the car. Keep plugging away and you'll get it done. Just be happy you have 2 healthy kids and a 3rd on the way as some people aren't so lucky as you.

bretcopsey
04-16-2008, 07:35 AM
First, congratulations!

Second

Now my wife tells me she and her sisters want to take their Mom up north to a casino for Memorial Day weekend so there goes the tax check from George W.

Is your wife good at slots or cards? Perhaps she'll come back with some winnings that could be used to replenish the project fund?

TonyL
04-16-2008, 08:42 AM
Everything happens for a reason. Your car will eventually get done. Good on you for choosing the right thing to worry about.

trapin
04-16-2008, 08:44 AM
Thanks again everyone for the kind words.

Jeff....yep, I'll be there. I usually go every year with Pops. And hell yes I will definitely take you up on that ride.

Steve...that is an excellent idea. I'm going to do that in the next few days. I will change the title to "delayed" LOL!!!

Rybar...yes, I'm fortunate to be able to say I'm having another kid and I feel for those who are struggling to out there.

Bret...actually my Wife is quite good at the $.05 machines. But that's all she plays. Which I guess is a good thing. LOL!!!

Steve68
04-16-2008, 09:01 AM
I'm with ya Tony, No Money, time management is getting better, Last night I told the G/F how you and I are in the same boat, You're not getting the car done, and how I wanted to go to P/F last year, no money for a ticket, probably the same this year, we'll watch together!!!

Rubes
04-16-2008, 09:04 AM
True, just getting it moving and driveable was what I was shooting for. For that I need about 5 grand.
...Actually all that other stuff is done, it's the LS1 that is complicating matters... OK...so the car is painted...you already have the motor/trans...and its already in...its got suspension/wheels/tires...sounds like you are close to having it "moving". No doubt the LS1 is kind of a complication, but you dont need a headliner or carpet to have it at RTTH. I think Steve's idea will point out how close you are to being able to "drive" it even if it is not "done". Might take 5k to get it to where you WANT it to be, but not to where you can start enjoying it. OK. I'll shut up now. You're still welcome to ride with me if ya want. heck, all I gotta do is put in a new hydroboost, new rear springs, and new rear wheel cylinders, and I still probably won't be done...LOLOL You did good, and should be happy with the progress thus far.

oh yeah,I agree that the "dead" thing was over the top..lol

TonyL
04-16-2008, 09:27 AM
After re-reading the thread I think Steve's plan is right on. Give us a list of exactly what you need. What are your roadblocks? We all want to help. Lets see what we can accomplish as a community.

The Rook
04-16-2008, 03:41 PM
Tony, congrats on kiddo number three. Add one more set of seat belts to the need list huh! Hang in there. It will get done. It will! It better!!

Vinz68
04-16-2008, 04:28 PM
Congrats on your third ! You'll get the car done when the time is right.

andrewb70
04-16-2008, 04:53 PM
Tony

Steevo's idea is excellent. Once your list is put together we can all throw in our two cents and hopefully help your project along. There may also be instances where some can offer cost saving options that you might not have thought about.

Andrew

Young Gun
04-16-2008, 05:30 PM
What if you create a website for it and put advertising banners all over it...if you get loads of people to visit it for a few weeks, it will first of all cover the costs of the site, but maybe create a little extra change? just a crazy idea, but maybe it could work?

trapin
04-18-2008, 04:06 AM
I am trying to get the list posted today but I'm having trouble converting an Excel spreadsheet to a Word document so it'll paste in here properly.

Jimmy Sean
04-18-2008, 04:26 AM
Exterior Parts List
Front Bumper C-7831-1A $105
Rear Bumper C-7830-1A $105
Front Windshield C-100271A $190
Backlight C-11204-1A $140
Molding Kit Windshield C-10093-1AK $120
Molding Kit Backlight C-11208-1AK $130
Clip Kit Windshield Lower C-10093-50A $15
Clip Kit Backlight Moldings C-11208-50A $6
Clip Kit Windshield Moldings C-10096-1K $5
Bezel Tail Lamp RH C-2680-1B $90
Bezel Tail Lamp LH C-2680-2B $90
Glass InstallationLicense Lamp C-2700-2A $17

Exterior Parts List Total $1,013

Brake System Parts List

Fuel System Parts List

Emergency Brake Parts List
Parking Brake Cable Kit R1020 $100

Interior Parts List
3 Point Retractable Seat Belts (pair) C-14875T-1A $295
Trans Shifter TCI $140
All Sound Deadener eBay $0
Front Seats Murrays $200
Center Dash Panel 1.7E+07 $120
Trunk Mat C-TMR-2 $55
Trunk Splatter Paint C-8800-2 $13
Carbon Fiber Speedometer AM4889 $240
Carbon Fiber Tachometer AM4898 $160
Carbon Fiber Volt Gauge AM4891 $52
Carbon Fiber Fuel Gauge AM4814 $52
Speedometer Sending Unit AM5291 $63
Door Jamb Switch (2) $0 C-11950-2 $8

Interior Parts List Total $13989 ($1,027 $371)

Engine Startup Parts List
Headers Stainless Works from member at PT.com $0
Power Steering Hookup Summit $105
Intake induction $240
Radiator $400
Throttle system Summit SUM-380456 $119
Exhaust System Great Lakes Customs $600
Electric Fans Summit SUM-380456 $250
Reprogram PCM Speed Inc. $150
Wiring Harness Wait for me performance $240
Misc. Hoses, Fittings Murrays $100
Battery & Cables Murrays $100
Engine Startup Parts List Total $2,304

Better?

Rubes
04-18-2008, 04:55 AM
Amazing how all that "little" stuff ads up to those big numbers, eh?

trapin
04-18-2008, 06:45 AM
Jimmy....thank you very much. Here's a more accurate and edited list that tells the story more thoroughly.

Exterior Parts List

Molding Kit Windshield C-10093-1AK $120
Molding Kit Backlight C-11208-1AK $130
Clip Kit Windshield Lower C-10093-50A $15
Clip Kit Backlight Moldings C-11208-50A $6
Clip Kit Windshield Moldings C-10096-1K $5
Bezel Tail Lamp RH C-2680-1B $90
Bezel Tail Lamp LH C-2680-2B $90
Exterior Parts List Total $1,013

Brake System Parts List (basically what's left is all the plumbing)

Fuel System Parts List (plumbing, pump, regulator, fittings...it's all needed. I don't know if I should go the Rock Valley route or do an external pump.)

Parking Brake Cable Kit R1020 $100
Misc compenents needed for Wilwood parking brake (?)

Interior Parts List
3 Point Retractable Seat Belts (pair) C-14875T-1A $295
Trans Shifter TCI $140
Front Seats Arizen $700
Center Dash Panel 1.7E+07 $120
Trunk Mat C-TMR-2 $55
Trunk Splatter Paint C-8800-2 $13
Interior Parts List Total $1898

Intake induction $240
Radiator $400
Wiring Harness Waitformeperformance $240

$5215 not figuring in taxes and shipping for some of this stuff. You see how this stuff adds up? I'm probably looking at around $5500 to get the car running and driving.

Sooooo.......anyone got any ideas? :lmao:

Rubes
04-18-2008, 07:03 AM
...Sooooo.......anyone got any ideas? :lmao:
yeah...give up now and just bring me the car...I'll give ya 6 grand, so you'll have a little extra....LOLOL

Ya see, there's your problem, you're supposed to be trying to save money, but just a quick glance at those two lists, and your seats went from $200 to $700.

I guess I'm not really helping am I? :spank2:
If I had anything I could "donate" I would, but your SOL on that.

trapin
04-18-2008, 07:14 AM
I changed the seats because that list I posted was old and I've since sat in the Murray's seats and hated them. The only other alternative was the Arizens. But now I hear that their $700 seats are being discontinued and the price for the new ones is almost doubled.

I can't keep up. LOL!!!

Damn True
04-18-2008, 07:23 AM
Summit Sport Seats?

eville
04-18-2008, 07:47 AM
4th gen seat from a junk yard. They ain't bad.....
I have a slightly used AM speedo sending unit. PM me if you're interested.

Jimmy Sean
04-18-2008, 07:48 AM
Jimmy....thank you very much. Here's a more accurate and edited list that tells the story more thoroughly.

Your welcome.

:secret: But just to clarify my first name is Sean.:poke:

Mr.VENGEANCE
04-18-2008, 08:01 AM
to me it sounds like your a fart away from finishing..

trapin
04-18-2008, 08:20 AM
Only a fart away? Damn bro...I wish I was livin' your life. LOL!!!

Sorry about that Sean, I looked at your username and not your sig. Oops. :)

I realize to some of the builders on here that kind of money seems like a drop in the wishing well but to me it feels like $10,000. I don't make big money at GM (contrary to what seem think we make here). The only people getting rich at this company are the Directors and Vice Presidents....and I ain't one of them. LOL!!

jackfrost
04-18-2008, 09:17 AM
here ya go... :evil:

Exterior Parts List
Exterior Parts List Total $540

Interior Parts List
junkyard belts - $10?
Trans Shifter TCI $140
Summit Seat (http://store.summitracing.com/partdetail.asp?autofilter=1&part=SUM%2DG2100&N=700+4294925230+4294839019+115&autoview=sku) $38
Interior Parts List Total $188

Intake induction $240
Radiator $400

$3032 not figuring in taxes and shipping for some of this stuff.

i dont really know about the engine stuff so I assumed it was all necessary.

Bow Tie 67
04-18-2008, 10:11 AM

Exterior Parts List
Front Bumper C-7831-1A $105 Not required
Rear Bumper C-7830-1A $105 Not required
Molding Kit Windshield C-10093-1AK $120 Not required
Molding Kit Backlight C-11208-1AK $130 Not required
Clip Kit Windshield Lower C-10093-50A $15 NR
Clip Kit Backlight Moldings C-11208-50A $6 NR
Clip Kit Windshield Moldings C-10096-1K $5 NR
Bezel Tail Lamp RH C-2680-1B $90 Clean old ones
Bezel Tail Lamp LH C-2680-2B $90 Clean old ones
Exterior Parts List Total $1,013 $343

Brake System Parts List (basically what's left is all the plumbing)

Fuel System Parts List (plumbing, pump, regulator, fittings...it's all needed. I don't know if I should go the Rock Valley route or do an external pump.)
Parking Brake Cable Kit R1020 $100 2 x 4 FREE
Misc compenents needed for Wilwood parking brake (?)

Interior Parts List
3 Point Retractable Seat Belts (pair) C-14875T-1A $295 Use factory
Trans Shifter TCI $140
Front Seats Arizen $700 use what you have
Center Dash Panel 1.7E+07 $120 NR
Trunk Mat C-TMR-2 $55 give me a break useless weight
Trunk Splatter Paint C-8800-2 $13 NR
Interior Parts List Total $1898 $730

Intake induction $240
Radiator $400 used LS1 $100 or less
Electric Fans Summit SUM-380456 $250 get fans with radiator
Engine Startup Parts List Total $2,304 $ 1800

$5215 not figuring in taxes and shipping for some of this stuff. You see how this stuff adds up? I'm probably looking at around $5500 to get the car running and driving.

Sooooo.......anyone got any ideas? :lmao:

I did a little editing in the above quote ^^^^^^^^^

Tony,

Obviously it still costs money and time, but there are things that you can put off or do a little different to save. I wanted to drive my car last year and almost drove it without gauges. Fortunatly I was able to finish up the dash. I did drive it without carpet, headliner, parking brakes, and only a windshield. The vintage air heater does not work to well with all that airflow, and considering it was October I froze my rear off.

Matt

eville
04-18-2008, 10:30 AM
Do you have any of your original stainless window trim?
I found a guy locally who revived mine from the dead for half the cost of new. He fixed the dents, straightened and polished.

Looks way better than repo.

trapin
04-18-2008, 11:28 AM
That's some pretty good perspective. I guess I can probably do without some of that stuff. I like having the parking brake working because it's a good emergency back-up if something should go wrong. I don't currently have any seats for it so I might have to opt for the Summit Seats. I just hope they fit me good. I have very little of the original window trim left but I guess it's not immediately needed. I can also go with just the rear bumper.

Rybar
04-18-2008, 11:54 AM
Tony, if it works and if it helps I can donate you my custom intake tube as I'm going to get another one made soon - Ryan

https://static1.pt-content.com/images/pt/2007/01/Copy2ofDSC01428-1.jpg

andrewb70
04-18-2008, 03:57 PM
Here are some suggestions:

Power Steering Hookup Summit $105 <Elaborate>

Intake induction $240 <Check out Jags that Run for some elbows and 4" aluminum pipe. AutoZone carries big round K&N filters for GM trucks for about $50. I bet you can shave $100 here.>

Radiator $400 <Rockauto.com 1996 Corvette radiator. These are used bu guys swapping LS1s into RX7s. I used one, never had any issues with cooling. They are light too! Save $250>

Throttle system Summit SUM-380456 $119 <Elaborate>

Electric Fans Summit SUM-380456 $250 <Volvo fan. Fits great on the Corvette radiator. Save $150 here>

Andrew

dstryr
04-18-2008, 04:11 PM
where do you get the volvo fan for 100 bucks? Im looking to replace the manual one on my camaro.

Steve Chryssos
04-18-2008, 04:28 PM
Keep working.....

Gotta fill in the blanks on brake system and fuel system. I like the way that you have categorized things. But now you need to break it up. For example engine start up needs to be broken down into cooling system, plumbing, electrical and exhaust. Why? Because when you are performing those tasks, you will find that they are each projects unto themselves. They need to be processed as complete systems. And as you work on each subsystem, you will respect each one for its magnitude. Mental and financial focus. Otherwise you will be robbing Peter to pay Paul. For example, the cooling system process will stall because you spent spent money on some other sub system at the same time. Neither subsystem will get done and you will get frustrated. Break them up into subcategories.

THEN you need to prioritize them. You might choose brakes over engine startup just because brakes are cheaper and easier. That's fine. But look at the major milestones. Make car stop. Make car run. That may sound fundamental, but milestones are an important part of getting things done. For example, I have a major milestone called "Roll-Stop-Steer". That's a big day! It means that suspension, brakes, wheels, tires, and steering components are in place. You nailed another major milestone: "Engine Start-up" I had a hard time doing this with Vinnie because he was just buying $#!T left and right.

So go back and fill in the blanks, then establish major milestones which are divided into important subcategories. You should probably go back and include completed major milestones to confirm that you have not overlooked any missed steps. Major milestones (some are considered "major" based on complexity, while others are singled out just because they cost a boatload of money. A lot of this is open to interpretation--especially if pre-assembly is excluded as most of us do)
PROJECT START
-Tear-down
-Chassis and Structural Fabrication
-Front Suspension
-Rear Suspension
-Rear Axle
-Steering Hard Parts
-Brake System
-Wheels/Tires
ROLL-STOP-STEER
-Engine
-Transmission
-Fuel System and plumbing
-Cooling System and plumbing
-Steering System plumbing
PRE-ASSEMBLY
-Tear Down #2
-Body and Paint
-Re-assembly
-Wiring and Gauges
ENGINE START-UP
-Interior and Trim
-Exhaust
TEST DRIVE

Make it your own. I think you'll be impressed with how far you've come. You are about 80% of the way there. Remember that a lot of people would KILL to be 80% done, so cheer up get organized, finish Roll/Stop/Steer and then break the rest down so that you can move forward in small, measured steps. It might not be so intimidating if you are only focused on, say, cooling. Then you get to cross it of the list.

Oh yeah, when you are comfortable with the layout of the list, print out multiple copies. Tape one to the top of your dash, one on your desk at work, etc. Hell, tape one on the ceiling above your bed.

trapin
04-18-2008, 05:32 PM
Steve...thanks for that, that makes a whole lot more sense than how I was looking at it. I will try to tackle that on Sunday.

Andrew...I like your idea about the Corvette Radiator but where can I score a Volvo fan? And which one do I need?
Also, what about my old radiator, I still have it. Would that work?

andrewb70
04-18-2008, 05:49 PM
Steve...thanks for that, that makes a whole lot more sense than how I was looking at it. I will try to tackle that on Sunday.

Andrew...I like your idea about the Corvette Radiator but where can I score a Volvo fan? And which one do I need?

Tony,

Check out v8rx7forum.com

The guys there use the Volvo fans all the time. I never used one cause I already had something else, so I never got the full details.

I am sure that if you search for Volvo fan you will get a ton of hits.

Andrew

Bow Tie 67
04-18-2008, 08:17 PM

Tony,

I used a 4th gen radiator and fan setup I think I paid $100 for both. I'm not sure what the normal going rate is but that was about a year ago. If you want more info I can explain how I mounted it and give you the correct radiator hoses that work. I spent about an hour at advance auto looking at every hose they had, bought 10 hoses that looked like they might work and returned what didn't work ) I did drive the car last year and had no cooling problems whatsoever. It's cheap, light-weight, compact and built for that engine.

Matt

P.S. My intake setup was less than $100. Intakehoses.com ( rubber 90* elbow and reducer ) and a S & B conical filter.

Steve68
04-19-2008, 06:28 AM
Taurus fans work, too

Check the Scat Pro Car Rally seats, Very Nice, I bought one for the Nova,

and do what I do, watch the For Sale adds, there are deals there!!!

Damn True
04-19-2008, 10:40 AM
You might also be able to pick up some seats from Craigslist. Around here at least there is always some ricer looking to unload a set of Corbeau, Cobra or some other decent racing seat.

Young Gun
04-19-2008, 02:16 PM
ill keep my eyes peeled on the local forums for seats...no doubt stuff will come up

67SSDan
04-20-2008, 01:48 PM
Off shore accounts... don't tell the wifey. LOL

Congrats on the kid man, that's awesome! And ultimately the car won't take care of you when you're old. Of course... the kid might not either, but here's hoping. :rotfl:

Don't give up hope. At least you got a ton of stuff done on the car that's now out of the way.

I feel the same way about my project. Last year I was rock'n and roll'n on it, and this year it's been collecting dust so far. That's the way it goes when you're a work'n man like the rest of us.

Keep up the work and the updates!
Dan

Well guys, it's time to concede defeat on my quest to make RTH4. What happened? Life happened, that's what happened. It seems like every time I come into some money to throw at the car, something happens and the funds need to be spent on something else. This year my wife and I are expecting child number 3 (which isn't a bad thing at all) and I had to set aside our tax return money for her Maternity leave this Summer. So there goes THAT money. Then GM decides to give all their employees a profit sharing check this year. I think to myself, "Awesome". Shortly before I get the check my truck decides it wants a new fuel pump ($736) and then my son decides he wants to hit rocks with a tennis racket in our backyard and ends up taking out the window in our neighbors doorwall to the tune of $450. Well...there goes $1186 right down the drain. Even the puny Tax check we're supposed to get from George W. in May is already spent. I just can't win...it's becoming too daunting of a task and I'm tired of worring about it. I have a new son or daughter on the way in July and I gotta prepare for that. So I'm throwing in the towel, I will not have the car at RTH4 this year. I am very disappointed about it but then I have to be happy about all the progress I've made since October, so in that respect I feel RTH3 served me well. And I still have a ton of work to do on the car this Summer that doesn't require spending money so I'll still be giving updates. Looks like it's now a quest for RTH5. Oh well....I guess there are worse things in life. Thanks for everyones encouragement the past 7 months.

dropit69
04-20-2008, 03:54 PM
i have some older recaros you can use for now..they are black..i think you might fit in them..lol..ill keep my eye open for some deals for ya..

trapin
06-07-2008, 05:37 PM
Well I'm back at it again and it seems my car has decided to throw another curve ball at me. I ordered my wheels and tires about a few years before I decided to go with the ATS/AFX Spindels and now it seems I'm paying a price for that decision. As you can see the caliper for the Touring Classics brakes is hitting the wheel. Noel told me some time ago that if I was going to use his brake kit with the ATS spindles that I would need 1" of caliper clearance. I guess I don't have that 1" and now I'm faced with a dillema. Sell the wheels and tires that I have now and reorder a new set with the 1" clearance or use a good 1/4" billet spacer. If I do the spacer I will have to send the spindles back to Tyler to have longer studs pressed in because I won't have the minimum 8 threads of bite mandated by Noel for this to be safe. And even if I do use the spacers I'll be increasing my track width by half an inch in the front. As it is now I'm already going to be doing some scrubing of the wheels on the wheelhouse opening and it might also look goofy. I don't know...what would you guys do? Sorry for the huge pic.

https://static1.pt-content.com/images/pt/2008/06/2008A195-1.jpg

Steve1968LS2
06-07-2008, 05:46 PM
That's a tough call..

You wouldn't have to sell the tires.. just the wheels. Getting them with the right offset is the RIGHT way to do it.

The spacers would be fine if you have the space. Are you sure you need a full quarter inch? It only needs to clear by a tiny bit.

Larry Callahan
06-07-2008, 06:10 PM
While hard to beleive I have heard that if it clears by the thickness of a credit card you are good.

Steve1968LS2
06-07-2008, 06:53 PM
While hard to beleive I have heard that if it clears by the thickness of a credit card you are good.

Yep, the owner of Baer brakes wheels cleared his brakes by that much and he said "Clears is clears".

trapin
06-07-2008, 07:01 PM
Tommorow I'll experiment a bit with some washers between the wheel and hub and see what I come up with. I'm not too worried about having to sell the wheels and get new ones. I'm sure I could unload these on here rather quick.

....I just hope I have enough posts to place an ad. :)

tom_a
06-07-2008, 09:08 PM
Tony,

I dig your project. I had a similar problem ie; bought wheels prior to ATS spindles. However I did get the 1/2" longer studs and in this picture I am using a Baer 1/2" spacer it could be a little smaller. I plan to change wheels down the road but this will do for me right now. One thing I would mention is that if you do change to the studs you will likely want to change your rears studs. The 7/16" studs I had in the rear looked so small compared to the ARP 1/2" so I took my axles back to Currie and had them changed. Seems I always do things twice on my car.
https://static1.pt-content.com/images/pt/2008/06/tierod0041-1.jpg

Steve68
06-08-2008, 05:28 AM
The EXACT reason I havent bought wheels yet,

Hell, I don't even have a rear suspension yet,

but, I'd sell the wheels, buy something else,

I have the ATX spindles, and C5 brakes, I'm waiting till the front and rear suspensions done before I get wheels, G/L Tony, you might be fine with a thin spacer or new wheels,

trapin
06-08-2008, 07:02 AM
Well I went out and put some washers between the wheel and hub this morning. I'm screwed. No way am I doing wheel spacers.

Look for my wheels and tires to go up for sale sometime this afternoon.

DAMN IT!!!!!!!!!!:throw:

va72mlibu
06-08-2008, 07:36 AM
Sorry for the bad news, but I'm glad to hear you're back to work on the car! Best of luck on the sale.

Ron S
06-08-2008, 07:37 AM
I think we all have had wheel offset issues,that credit card thing is right,you need a really thick credit card to fix the problem,order new wheels,LOL. Ron

OLDFLM
06-09-2008, 04:57 AM
Well I went out and put some washers between the wheel and hub this morning. I'm screwed. No way am I doing wheel spacers.

Look for my wheels and tires to go up for sale sometime this afternoon.

DAMN IT!!!!!!!!!!:throw:

Look at it this way... now you can get some Rushforths! (c:]

Payton King
06-09-2008, 07:16 AM
spacer and did not have to lengthen the studs. There is a lot of material on that brake caliper. I have seen people machine off the face of the caliper to get the clearance. I have seen this done on 2 sets of calipers like yours.

Steve68
06-09-2008, 04:48 PM
No theres a idea! machine the caliper,

trapin
06-10-2008, 02:49 AM
It sounds intriguing but I would be apprehensive to mess with the structure of such an important part of the suspension. I'm sure Tyler had a good reason for making the caliper face as thick as it is. I am fine with having to put up my wheels and tires. In fact I might have a local guy already interested. Thanks guys.

DCx
06-10-2008, 03:18 AM
Tony, did you get it running yet? i wanna hear that cam!

im debating pulling my whole rig out to fix my busted t56. in the process i may switch to a different cam.

Bow Tie 67
06-10-2008, 04:21 AM
I cant tell but are those wheels Budnik teardrop? If so and they are 18" x 10" fatlips PM me.

trapin
06-10-2008, 05:30 AM
Bow Tie 67.....they are Billet Specialties HP25's (now named Fury or so I am told). They are 17's with a regular "stepped" lip.

andrewb70
06-10-2008, 05:56 AM
Tony,

I see some CCW Classics in your future.

Andrew

awr68
06-11-2008, 02:17 PM
Tony,

I see some CCW Classics in your future.

Andrew

I'm with Andrew!!

Tony, good to see you are back on it!!

trapin
06-11-2008, 03:09 PM
I scoured the internet looking at wheels. In the end I decided to give my business to Frank at Prodigy. I should be ordering these up by the end of the week. I am going to do the gunmetal powdered centers and polished ring. Should look good with my silver paint and black stripe. 18X8 245/40 R18 in front 18X9 275/40 R18 in the rear. I'll probably go with Nitto rubber again.

https://static1.pt-content.com/images/pt/2008/06/protouring_bg-1.gif

dropit69
06-11-2008, 03:36 PM
nice choice Tony..very sharp wheel..did you sell your others yet?

trapin
06-11-2008, 04:15 PM
No not yet. I am waiting on my friend at work. He is picking up a '68 Firebird this weekend and says he might be interested. He traded his Harley for the car and also got $2000 cash. He doesn't know if he wants to use it to buy my wheels or do other fixes and modifications to the car. He has until Monday to let me know then I'm going to put them up here in the For Sale section.

eville
06-11-2008, 05:10 PM
Those are nice wheels. I almost got them for my car. They looked great on Danica's car.

trapin
11-26-2008, 08:27 PM
Well, I finally have an update of my pathetic project. I sold my original wheels and tires to a member here back in September and am now in the process of slowly piecing together my new wheels and tires. I had to use the money I got from the sale to help pay some bills and put food on the table for my family during my wife's maternity leave. Yes I know....a tragedy, but necessary. I sold some tools and managed to scrape together enough money to purchase a set of Toyo Proxes T1R's in 285/40/R18. I don't have the fronts yet. I needed them because I rolled the wheel lip on the quarter panels and wanted to make sure I got enough of the lip rolled in. I want to thank Jody Bernard for the use of his Eastwood Wheel Lip Roller. And also thank him for his patience as I took WAY too long to get this done. I am glad I'm taking this route, Steve Chryssos was the inspiration for it. He spearheaded this configuration years ago. The 285's almost...ALMOST give it a mini-tubbed look. And yes...they will probably rub, but then it ain't a Hot Rod if they don't...right?

Anyway...a faint glimmer of life in the Rapin garage.

https://static1.pt-content.com/images/pt/2008/11/November2008B050-1.jpg

https://static1.pt-content.com/images/pt/2008/11/November2008B044-1.jpg

https://static1.pt-content.com/images/pt/2008/11/November2008B046-1.jpg

https://static1.pt-content.com/images/pt/2008/11/November2008B053-1.jpg

6'9"Witha69
11-26-2008, 08:52 PM
Good to see that glimmer. It'll start shining a little more every month or so.

awr68
11-27-2008, 07:22 AM
Nice to see progress Tony! It can certainly get the better of you sometimes...but it will all be worth it in the end...so I'm told! :)

Steve68
11-27-2008, 09:56 AM
Looks to see that the 3 of us are in the same boat little by little, till it gets done,

trapin
11-27-2008, 02:24 PM
We're the "Little By Little Gang". LOL!!!

Rybar
11-27-2008, 02:40 PM
lookin good Tony!

Rubes
11-27-2008, 02:55 PM
Hey Tony...glad to see you're able to get back on it. I'm starting to get back to my Impala now too...got Matt calling me everyday forcing me to give him a progress report.
I got those same wheels and finish(only I got the "mesh" that has the fake bolts to make it look like a three piece wheel). Originaly got them for my Malibu, but they look sweet on the Impala.
https://static1.pt-content.com/images/noimg.gif (http://img517.imageshack.us/my.php?image=dscf9195rg1.jpg)
Lookin' forward to seein' ya in June.

trapin
11-27-2008, 07:34 PM
Rubes...that Impala is SWEET. What engine do you have in there? I'm going to have to show that to my friend Fred. He just picked up a '62 Impala bubbletop and I'm trying to talk him into an L92 for it.

Steve68
11-27-2008, 08:48 PM
I'm in for the little by little gang

awr68
11-28-2008, 10:34 AM
As am I! Boy we've been at this for quite a few years! LOL

trapin
11-28-2008, 12:07 PM
Yeah...Larry was one of our charter members but he just retired recently. LOL!!!

Jim Nilsen
11-28-2008, 12:46 PM
Hey, don't forget me !!

It"s a bigger club than we think and probably getting bigger by the day as others come to this site and start to take that first part off of their car never knowing what it is going to lead to.

I hope to retire from it next year as one of the pro-jackstand members and at least make it to the I'm setting it up and test driving it for the final finish club.

Family and life come first and for those that usually put the car first, the car usually departs something else like a wife,house,friends and then lastly the car. So we can all be glad we still have it all and our little by little cars in the garage.

Keep plugging away to all of us !!!!!

:cheers:

Rubes
11-28-2008, 01:09 PM
Rubes...that Impala is SWEET. What engine do you have in there? I'm going to have to show that to my friend Fred. He just picked up a '62 Impala bubbletop and I'm trying to talk him into an L92 for it.
Thanx Tony...it's the one I got from Dad. The motor is just a stock '01 LS1 and 4L60E. If I play my cards right, I'll have the difficult decision of which to bring to RTTL in June, this or the Judge. Might just have to do a Howell and find someone to drive one for me...LOL. OK luch is over, I gotta get back out there and make some more progress today. I dont like to set deadlines, but I'd like to get it started by Christmas.

PM me your email.

zbugger
11-28-2008, 02:14 PM
I'm in for the little by little gang
Heh... I feel like the mascot of this one.

67SSDan
11-28-2008, 03:57 PM

Ah... that's where I belong too. The "Little By Little Gang", AKA "I'm Broke Gang", AKA "My Wife Keeps My Priorities Where They Should Be Gang". LOL

Glad to see you're making some progress there man (on the car that is... you're obviously making progress in the family department)! Good times!

Dan

Steve68
11-28-2008, 09:15 PM
Heh... I feel like the mascot of this one.

Allen, you run with that! and the rest of us will bring the finaly! and hopefully finished cars!

Picked up a bunch of small parts today at the Daytona Rod Run, I really got to get a thread going on the progress and build,

rlplive
11-28-2008, 10:25 PM
Well, I finally have an update of my pathetic project. I sold my original wheels and tires to a member here back in September and am now in the process of slowly piecing together my new wheels and tires. I had to use the money I got from the sale to help pay some bills and put food on the table for my family during my wife's maternity leave. Yes I know....a tragedy, but necessary. I sold some tools and managed to scrape together enough money to purchase a set of Toyo Proxes T1R's in 285/40/R18. I don't have the fronts yet. I needed them because I rolled the wheel lip on the quarter panels and wanted to make sure I got enough of the lip rolled in. I want to thank Jody Bernard for the use of his Eastwood Wheel Lip Roller. And also thank him for his patience as I took WAY too long to get this done. I am glad I'm taking this route, Steve Chryssos was the inspiration for it. He spearheaded this configuration years ago. The 285's almost...ALMOST give it a mini-tubbed look. And yes...they will probably rub, but then it ain't a Hot Rod if they don't...right?

Anyway...a faint glimmer of life in the Rapin garage.

https://static1.pt-content.com/images/pt/2008/11/November2008B050-1.jpg

https://static1.pt-content.com/images/pt/2008/11/November2008B044-1.jpg

https://static1.pt-content.com/images/pt/2008/11/November2008B046-1.jpg

https://static1.pt-content.com/images/pt/2008/11/November2008B053-1.jpg

Looking great man, family always comes first and sounds like you know that. I myself have almost 0 dollars to work on my car and it is a bummer. It is nice seeing normal guys fixing up cars a little at a time. I hope it turns out exactly how you want it to. Nice choice on the new wheels
Ryan

trapin
03-23-2009, 10:19 AM
Well, spring is in the air here in Michigan and I am preparing for the final push on the project for this Summer. The tax money is in and I should be ordering my wheels from Frank this week. Sadly, due to economics, I will not be going with the 18" wheels I previously showed in this thread. It is back to 17's for me and I am grateful to Belle Tire for taking back the 18's and selling me instead a set of Toyo Proxes 4's. I am going back to the same sizes I had before. Oh well...at least I tried.

So once the car has shoes on it again I am going to put it back up in the air and start on all the undercarriage work (fuel lines, brake lines, parking brake, subframe connectors, button-up front suspension, etc).

First order of business; Fuel System.

I am going with the Spectra Fuel tank which already has the fuel pump inside it.

What type of lines are you guys using with your conversions? I am thinking of running factory lines from Classic Industries and splicing into it accordingly. Or would you recommend a whole new line from front to back using what?

.....or maybe I should just ask this in the "Fuel Injection" forum?

Damn True
03-23-2009, 10:20 AM
Don't run your lines until you get your SFC's in place.

72novadriver
03-23-2009, 11:59 AM
Hey Tony,

Inline Tube is not far at all from you (22mile and hayes). They have all the pre bent lines you could need and they can adapt or custom bend pretty much any combination.

trapin
03-23-2009, 02:53 PM
Yeah that's REAL close. Only about 5 miles at the most. I forgot about them. Thanks Billy.

OLDFLM
03-24-2009, 04:52 AM
Hey Tony,

Inline Tube is not far at all from you (22mile and hayes). They have all the pre bent lines you could need and they can adapt or custom bend pretty much any combination.

Tony,
Call and talk to James (JD) ext 205. They're doing my fuel line in 1/2" for me and putting -8 AN fittings on both ends so I can run braided from the tank to the prebent 1/2" line and then braided from the line up front to the fuel pump! 1-800-385-9452
V/R,
Ty
I got all my fuel and brake lines from them!

trapin
05-04-2009, 05:24 AM
Hit a roadblock on my project. I recieved my new wheels from Billet Specialties on Friday and took them up to Belle Tire to have them mounted the next day. While mounting the fronts it was discovered that both wheels had a slight wobble to them when they were on the balancer. The guy called me out to the shop to show me and it was noticeable. Because they are on the front I gotta have them fixed. So now I gotta send them back and wait for new ones to be made. I sure hope this doesn't take too long because I need to get to work on this thing. I also discovered that these wheels also hit the C5 calipers even though BS told Frank that the wheels I was ordering already had 1" of caliper clearance in them. They need another 3/16th of an inch. I am going to see if that can be added in the new wheels. If it can't then I am alright with having to run 3/16th inch spacers on the front.

5 steps backwards to take 1 step forward; isn't that how it goes? LOL!!!

andrewb70
05-04-2009, 07:37 AM
Hey Tony,

I don't understand why you need wheels to finish the things that need to be done on your car. You have a ton of wiring to do. What do wheels have to do with that?

Andrew

JEFFTATE
05-04-2009, 07:41 AM
Hey Tony,

I don't understand why you need wheels to finish the things that need to be done on your car. You have a ton of wiring to do. What do wheels have to do with that?

Andrew

He wants to set it on the ground and roll it outside for inspiration...LOL
That helps motivate him to get the wiring done.
Wheels are more noticeable than wiring.
They make you feel better..

andrewb70
05-04-2009, 08:51 AM
He wants to set it on the ground and roll it outside for inspiration...LOL
That helps motivate him to get the wiring done.
Wheels are more noticeable than wiring.
They make you feel better..

Nothing feels better than turning the key and hearing an open header v8 come to life.

This is tough love. F**k the wheels Tony, and get out to the garage!~

Andrew

Bow Tie 67
05-04-2009, 09:05 AM
Nothing feels better than turning the key and hearing an open header v8 come to life.

This is tough love. F**k the wheels Tony, and get out to the garage!~

Andrew

I have to agree with Andrew, screw the wheels. If you put old ones on it hurts less burning the living H*LL out of them.

Wiring sucks, but has to be done.

trapin
05-04-2009, 10:17 AM
LOL!! It's actually a safety thing. My Jackstands aren't the greatest and I don't feel comfortable having my fat ass bear anymore weight on them. They also aren't that tall so it makes getting under the car impossible too. I am going to talk with Joe at BS today (per Frank's recommendation) and get his opinion. It's possible it may have been a problem with balancing machine at that paticular Belle Tire because they told me that even my rear wheels had a slight wiggle to them, which is hard to believe that ALL 4 would slip past the inspectors considering Billet Specialties quality control process.

trapin
05-06-2009, 05:26 PM
At long last, the car has shoes again. They are similar to the old ones but they were all I could afford. I want to thank Frank Serafine at GP Superstores for hooking me up with these. He got me a great deal and really took care of me; the customer support was phenomenal. I will be doing business with him again in the near future. These are Billet Specialties Fastlanes 17".

Turns out the machine at Belle Tire was messed up. I took the fronts over to Discount Tire and they didn't find anything wrong with them. So I am good to go. This weekend the car goes back up in the air and I can start on the fuel system. Here we go!!!!

https://static1.pt-content.com/images/pt/2009/05/3509243570_c80fe424f6-1.jpg?v=0

Damn True
05-06-2009, 05:32 PM
Those look really nice.

oestek
05-06-2009, 05:46 PM
Kick ass, man. Great to hear the wheels weren't messed up. That would have been a big setback in time.

454bug
05-06-2009, 05:48 PM
Hey Tony,

The wheels look great on your car!! Good Job! :twothumbs

Ron S
05-06-2009, 05:54 PM
I do love the wheels,had the same ones on my Cuda. I love when you get to the point in the project, when all the shiny stuff is put on. Nice car. Ron

zbugger
05-06-2009, 06:15 PM
Very nice Tony. It's always good to see progress. I'm glad you're one step closer to getting it on the road again.

trapin
05-06-2009, 06:16 PM
Thanks guys.

trapin
01-29-2010, 08:07 PM
ANNNNND....WE'RE BACK!!!

2009 really put a hurt on my project finacially but I'm happy to report I am back in the money and ready to (once again) make an attempt to crawl the last 50 feet of this God forsaken project.

I've decided to take Andrew's (and a few others) advice and work towards breathing life into this LS1.

My first question....for those of you that have had your PCM's reprogrammed, who do you feel did the best job editing and "mail tuning" your unit? So far I am familiar with Waitformeperformace, Speedinc. I also have to have my harness edited as well. Recommendations please.

Thanks.

Young Gun
01-29-2010, 09:33 PM
great to hear this Tony! we expect plenty of updates!

DCx
01-30-2010, 09:46 AM
I still want to hear that cam!

trapin
01-30-2010, 09:48 AM
(In his best Yoda voice)....Oh you will.....you will.

zbugger
01-30-2010, 10:25 AM
Tony, I don't know if he could do it, but talk to Mike Norris. Maybe he could also make a recommendation on the mail order tuning. But I've heard some good things about Texas Speed and Performance. Maybe give them a call?

Rick D
01-30-2010, 04:33 PM
ANNNNND....WE'RE BACK!!!

2009 really put a hurt on my project finacially but I'm happy to report I am back in the money and ready to (once again) make an attempt to crawl the last 50 feet of this God forsaken project.

I've decided to take Andrew's (and a few others) advice and work towards breathing life into this LS1.

My first question....for those of you that have had your PCM's reprogrammed, who do you feel did the best job editing and "mail tuning" your unit? So far I am familiar with Waitformeperformace, Speedinc. I also have to have my harness edited as well. Recommendations please.

Thanks.

I can voch for them (speedinc) my shop used to be next door to them and Jim their tuner is very good. He got us a few extra HP out of a mostly stock ls1.

Steve68
02-02-2010, 06:10 AM
Keep trudging foward Tony!!! someones got to do it,

trapin
02-05-2010, 04:27 PM
Trudge forward I must.

Can't start an engine without gauges?

DONE.

https://static1.pt-content.com/images/pt/2010/02/4333766340_ab5099f0aa-1.jpg

https://static1.pt-content.com/images/pt/2010/02/4333764866_2b305ac539-1.jpg

By the way....if anyone is using that Covan carbon fiber gauge pod I'd like to hear how you installed it. Right now I am thinking 4 or 6 countersunk screws in black to hide them.

JMarsa
02-16-2010, 08:35 AM
Tony,

Why ruin such a nice piece? Find a way to use some industrial velco. Or glue some mounting posts on the back and hold in place with a nut.

--JMarsa

RUSS68CAMARO
02-17-2010, 05:36 AM
You can use the original screw holes in the lower corners. I used a 1/4 piece of steel with two holes tapped at the top.

trapin
04-08-2010, 04:07 PM
Russ, can you be a bit more specific on the "1.4 inch piece of steel with two holes tapped at top"? Got any further pics to show that area? Thanks.

Jason I think if I use countersunk black screws in strategic areas it should be fine.

Another update...my radiator and electric fans are done. I mounted it the best way I knew how with some modified brackets from Lowes and a few radiator mounting zip ties at the bottem. Should hold. However...I do have a dilemma with my intake tube, see below.

Radiator is a Champion from ebay (I know, stop you're laughing I'm poor) and the fans are from a Lincoln Mark VIII.

https://static1.pt-content.com/images/pt/2010/04/4503518697_0afcb53105-1.jpg

As you can see the intake tube (compliments of Ryan Barichello, thank you again my friend) is impactiing the shroud on the fan. The line scribed on there is a ball park estimate of what will need to be trimmed to make it work. And yes, the tube should just barely clear the fan blades. My question to you is...should I trim this away and fit the tube in or is it going to look like a hack job and I should try something else besides the intake tube? Perhaps forego the Lincoln fans and go with thinner ones?

Thanks guys.

https://static1.pt-content.com/images/pt/2010/04/4504153088_c232da451b-1.jpg

https://static1.pt-content.com/images/pt/2010/04/4503521791_b8ecb1e518-1.jpg

Rybar
04-08-2010, 04:39 PM
C'mon Tony, you gotta keep that intake tube buddy!

Can you trim the tube or coupler near the throttle body?