PDA

View Full Version : Do I need a wider Rear?

Cdog
01-08-2005, 10:18 AM
If I were to do the DSE tri-4 bar rear suspension and also do the mini-tubs sould the rear end be replaced with a wider that stock unit. I currently have a 12 bolt all re done and was thinking about going to the 9 inch that currie has if I can sell my 12 bolt. If I were to make the change over oviously i'd have to know for sure if I were doing the DSE rear suspension, but should I order the housing wider for the offset wheels?

JamesD
01-08-2005, 11:06 AM
when people switch to wheels with a deep offset, to get the dished look, they usually end up narrowing the rear end, i think it is something like 2" per side usually.

ViperBlue68
01-08-2005, 01:05 PM
C Dog let me know what u want for your 12 bolt..what gears are in it?

MrQuick
01-08-2005, 07:22 PM
you did not say what back space your rims are, if you doing a tub job with a new housing, it would be ideal to set it up so you can use with 0 offset rims ie: 18x12 = 6" backspace
in this case you would have to get a narrowed rear end.It really depends on the look you want.

Salt Racer
01-26-2005, 09:23 AM
Zero offset on 12" rim (12" bead width) equals roughly 6.5" BS, depending on the lip width.

Typical semi-floaters (ie, Ford 9", Dana44, etc) and c-clip HSG has axle face to bearing centerline offset of 2.5~3". For best axle and bearing longevity, wheel centerline should be close to the neck of axle. This means slight positive offset, like 8.5" BS on 12" rims, for example.

On the other hand, shallow BS rims will save some unsprung mass (narrower axle). Think of current SCCA T/A cars. Flat-face rims up front to cut down scrub radius, and dished wheels rear for lighter unsprung mass. Keep in mind those cars use full floater axles with huge axle snouts, that can withstand the extra stress from negative offset rims.

Probably good street axles and bearings would tolerate neutral offset rims, but I wouldn't even consider using wheels with large negative offset on street cars that get driven hard.

Narrowing independent front and independent rear suspension to fit dished wheels just for the sake of aesthetics is dumb.

MrQuick
01-26-2005, 09:33 PM
your right Katz I forgot about about the lip.