PDA

View Full Version : New "A" body spindles

dennis68
01-07-2005, 06:31 PM
I've been holding off on posting about this although many know I have kicking it around for awhile. With great help form Katz I finally have a full design ready to send off to the fabricators.

I had hoped to be able to offer these as bolt-on kits but the fabricator will not put brake brackets on and I don't have the time to weld on a bunch of brackets with my minimal equipment.

Here (http://www.jackazzmotorsports.com/rollcenter.html) is a look at the computer design analysis of the front-end with the new spindles in place. I know how some of you love the number crunching stuff, feel free to criticize.......I am pretty proud of how it turned out, I don't think you’ll find much to change. :icon_razz . Maybe that sounded like a challenge.

For those of you ambitious enough to go this route feel free to "steal" the design specs. i will post a copy of the actual blueprint once they are in place and I have verified everything works as designed.

BTW, no "bling-bling" here, just good old fashioned steel spindles.

I want to publicly thank Katz again for taking the time to help with this project….there were at least 50 PM’s involved.

MrQuick
01-07-2005, 06:58 PM
hey that looks great Den, but I think you got check mate on the 1,245th move? Do you have a CAD drawing yet?

Salt Racer
01-07-2005, 07:13 PM
You betcha.

There's still some room for improvement (namely bumpsteer and RC migration), but it's way better than the initial setup Dennis had. Overall, it's pretty good for a stock-based suspension.

Are you getting the spindles from SCP? Let me see some pics when you get them. I might go this route for my Riv if they can build what we designed.

dennis68
01-07-2005, 08:34 PM
Yep, SCP. I spoke to one of the fabricators on Thursday, he says 2-3 weeks. He was not sure of the exact grade of steel they are made of but that they are all laser cut and machine welded, pretty good for 240/ea.

I know Katz, but since I am not willing to do any control arm pivot re-location or lower control arm replacement I was stuck with a few compromises. In all I think it will very competitive.

Marcus SC&C
01-08-2005, 09:48 AM
They sound pretty sweet Dennis. SCP makes nice stuff too. What hubs and steering arms will you be using (if you don`t mind me asking :) ) ? Hopefully brackets for PBR calipers will be coming next? I`m guessing they`re about .75"-1" taller than stock spindles? Are you planning on using shorter UCAs with less UBJ mounting angle to avoid UBJ bind in jounce? I`m really looking forward to seeing pics. I`ve kicked the idea around for years and even have tech drawings but I never took the leap,glad someone is! :D Marcus SC&C

dennis68
01-08-2005, 04:21 PM
Steering arms are welded on by SCP.

Using stock homebrew hubs for now to keep expences down. i'll step up to some Al hubs for weight reduction later.

I am going to have to build and weld my own caliper mounts. Good thing I kept in touch with my buddy that has the synchrowave.......maybe I should go practice, I haven't touched a TIG torch in a few years.

Yep, going to run shroter UCA's, UBJ bind should not be an issue.

Total spindle height is 10".

Marcus SC&C
01-10-2005, 07:16 PM
Cool. Sounds like it`ll be a little more aggressive than the B swap geometry wise but much with better bumpsteer (and I`m assuming ackerman). Should work real nice. Post pics when you can. Marcus SC&C