PDA

View Full Version : QA1 bounce

fast400
09-24-2007, 12:12 AM
Hi,
I recently bought a 69 Firebird which had QA1's all around. The A-Arm bushings were shot, so I decided to replace. After pulling both front QA1's out, I noticed the R shock was adjusted at least 1-2cm lower than the left. I replaced the bushings, then readjusted the shocks side-by-side to exactly the same amount of threads on the coilovers. After installing I noticed the R side is now 1/2" lower than the L...???!! I adjusted all the shocks to 5+ clicks from zero. Took it for a test drive which felt ok....except that it felt like I was bouncing up and down over 40-50 MPH. Did I do something wrong?? Do the QA1's act this way??

79T/Aman
09-24-2007, 10:00 AM
what length are the rear shocks? most shocks made for 1 st gen F-bodies are too short on 69 firebirds over the years the lower rear leaf spring plates may have been changed and the wrong one used, mono leaf VS multi leaf, what happens is the shock over extends that's one place to look.

68sixspeed
09-24-2007, 02:15 PM
I noticed that they are a bit bouncy in the rear over +4 clicks, but I'm on coilovers on all 4 corners, so it's not exactly the same I guess. If the shock lengths are ok, You might want to try them at +2.

(at +7 it was so bouncy I could burn the tires in 3rd gear)

fast400
10-01-2007, 03:33 AM
I lowered the clicks to 3...and the bouncyness subsided!:fingersx:
I personally feel these shocks are junk though. When I lowered to 3 clicks I noticed a bunch of shock oil! I cleaned and drove again...same result. They look like they couldn't be more than a year or two old! They have no dust cover, thus dirt simply sits on top allowing dirt to slide along piston.
I know some swear by them...I don't :dunno: