PDA

View Full Version : Best SBC HP gain for the buck

Napa69
09-23-2007, 07:26 PM
I have a 350/330 HO crate motor running Edelbrock RPM Airgap & 625 Carb with a 2400 stall conv. but I want to increase the HP to the mid 400 range and am wondering what you guys think is the best way to get there. Do you think porting and polishing the vortec heads and adding a bigger cam and carb would get me there? What do you think would get me there if not. I have a budget of about $1500. Thnx

RSX302
09-23-2007, 09:49 PM
The edelbrock roller lifter package #2097 is $1700 @ 435hp/435tq. (I'm not sure at what CR?) Since you already have the intake and carb, get the other part numbers and it will be a little cheaper. Maybe step up to the E-Tec 200 heads for a little more.

http://www.edelbrock.com/automotive_new/mc/power_package/top_end_kits.shtml

http://store.summitracing.com/partdetail.asp?part=EDL%2D2097&autoview=sku

streetk14
09-23-2007, 10:13 PM
Getting around 425 hp out of that motor shouldn't be much of a problem, it's just a matter of aproching it the right way. First, I don't think porting the Vortec heads is a good idea. From what I know about them, there isn't much to work with and I think you'd be better off getting a set of aftermarket aluminum heads.

My main focus would be a good set of heads and a matching cam to get the power you want. You have a great intake and I think your carb is fine for the power level you want. I would also suggest switching to a set of roller rockers if you don't already have them.

Unless you want to change your intake, you are going to have to stick with a Vortec-style head. This limits your options, but there are some good heads on the market. The Edelbrock E-tech heads or GMPP Fast-Burns are ones that come to mind. The 170cc E-tech heads are about $1100 for a set, and are used on Edelbrock's 435 hp crate motors.

For a cam, a Hydraulic roller would be a great way to add power, but a retrofit roller cam and lifters are a little pricey and probably won't work with your budget. If you choose to replace the cam in your 350 with another hydraulic flat tappet, then I'd suggest the 268 Xtreme Energy cam from Comp Cams (224/230, .479/.480"). This is a great all-around cam and should work fine with your 2400 stall.

Hope this helps,

Andy

nbecker
09-24-2007, 07:05 AM
You can make good power with your vortec heads,I would do a cam change like streetk14 said with a Xtreme energy cam 268 or 262. You cant go much bigger unless you have the heads moddified for higher lift.

I wouldnt worry about port and polishing like streetk14 said either, really only the exhaust runners can be cleaned up a bit.