PDA

View Full Version : Supercharger Help!!!

Lil Bob
09-23-2007, 02:27 PM
I am thinking about buying a centrifugal supercharger for my car. What are some pros and cons in getting a supercharger like this? It would be going on a small block 350 i don't know what the specs on the cam are and i don't have forged pistons. I was also woundering what i would have to do to the motor to get it ready for a supercharger. Lastly what company would you suggest going with

:help!:

Bobby

blown69nova
09-23-2007, 03:08 PM
I would start with low comp., forged pistons (8 to 8.5:1).
You really can't go wrong with either Vortech or Procharger.
Steve

DeltaT
09-24-2007, 08:32 AM
With a centri on a street car, I would go with a CR more like 9.2:1 - 9.5:1 to retain as much off-boost performance as possible. I'm running 9.6:1 with a large intercooler at over 10# of boost on pump gas.

I highly recommend getting Corky Bell's book 'Supercharged!'. It covers all your questions and much more in detail.

I have had 2 Vortechs and have been very happy with them.

Jim

Adam's 55 Chevy
09-24-2007, 10:29 AM
That 9.5:1 CR is fine if you have the extra $$$$ to spend on an intercooler but it could promote detonation without one. Regular GM crate engines are 8.5:1 and they seem to be fine on the street. With the right cam and a small centrifugal blower stock pistons should live with 5# boost. Thats still approx a 30% increase in power. 290hp crate engine + 30% + a lot of fun.

If your starting from scratch budget for the blower, installation, maybe an upgrade in fuel system and see what you have left for the engine and apprpriate those funds in the best possible way. No point going balls out on the engine then finding you can't afford the blower.

DeltaT
09-24-2007, 05:20 PM
Totally agree with you, if he was leaving his motor stock. But he asked how to prep his motor in advance of a blower, so I would figure:

Forged bottom end
Good flowing aluminum heads
Clearly an intercooler is the way to go safely
Fuel injection makes the most sense, although you can make a carb work OK.

Just my 2 cents.

Jim

Adam's 55 Chevy
09-24-2007, 08:23 PM
Agreed.