PDA

View Full Version : For you GM fans...

PeteRR
01-07-2005, 02:54 PM
Bob Lutz now has his own blog: http://fastlane.gmblogs.com/

jannes_z-28
01-07-2005, 03:12 PM
Good, then we can ask him when the new Camaro will se daylight.

Jan

Fawkes
01-07-2005, 03:59 PM
From everything I've heard, look for '07. Hopefully they'll put more thought in to it than they did the GTO.

touring67
01-07-2005, 04:26 PM
I had hoped that with legendary names such as GTO and Charger they would have upped the styling and performance but with necessary safety and comfort issues the cars sorta turned out less appealing than expected. If and when a new version of Camaro comes out I hope it is not sedate and takes it styling cues from popular sedans. However, the small niche market of devout followers cannot rally enough of a following for a huge corporation like GM to service the small guy. In real world terms, the car lives on sales, and I think that is a big reason the Charger is a 4 door, to get the modern family looking for a sporty, classic *if you can call it that* car that can haul the family around. Basically the wife gives in to the guy's desire to have a 6.1 liter Hemi Charger because it has 4 doors and is sedan enough to get the groceries too. So, if a new Camaro was designed with only a small market in mind then I am not so sure about its life expectancy in the future. This could affect its styling in some way. However, since I don't work for GM, nor do I have much of a voice over there, I will leave those thoughts and plans up to them.

Zefhix
01-07-2005, 04:33 PM
I had hoped that with legendary names such as GTO and Charger they would have upped the styling and performance but with necessary safety and comfort issues the cars sorta turned out less appealing than expected. If and when a new version of Camaro comes out I hope it is not sedate and takes it styling cues from popular sedans. However, the small niche market of devout followers cannot rally enough of a following for a huge corporation like GM to service the small guy. In real world terms, the car lives on sales, and I think that is a big reason the Charger is a 4 door, to get the modern family looking for a sporty, classic *if you can call it that* car that can haul the family around. Basically the wife gives in to the guy's desire to have a 6.1 liter Hemi Charger because it has 4 doors and is sedan enough to get the groceries too. So, if a new Camaro was designed with only a small market in mind then I am not so sure about its life expectancy in the future. This could affect its styling in some way. However, since I don't work for GM, nor do I have much of a voice over there, I will leave those thoughts and plans up to them.

What I do know is that Ford is going to make a killing with the '05 Mustang (much like the 64 and a half and 65) Maybe following tradition GM will put out a car two years later that will kick it's @$$, like when they introduced the Camaro in Nov. '66 to directly compete with the Pony car. Wouldn't that be ironic? :)

touring67
01-07-2005, 04:35 PM
That would be fairly ironic, and I agree the new 05 Mustang does look pretty good, both in person and on paper so will it be a 1960's pony car revival battle if the Camaro does come out in 07??

Bill Howell
01-07-2005, 04:39 PM
I want a 2007 COPO LS7!

colt zantop
01-07-2005, 05:15 PM
mark my words....if they come out with a camaro in 07 and they "nail it" like ford did with the 05 mustang with looks and performance.......one will be sitting in my garage right next to 68....I promise!!!! :)

.....but if its another stupid sedan looking type, they can keep it!

kmracer
01-07-2005, 08:53 PM
That would be fairly ironic, and I agree the new 05 Mustang does look pretty good, both in person and on paper so will it be a 1960's pony car revival battle if the Camaro does come out in 07??
oh wow that would be weird.... hahah what year did the charger come out?

Steve1968LS2
01-07-2005, 09:39 PM
Come on now.. GM is making a TON of SS's these days...

(please note the overflowing irony in that statement)

The SS used to stand for something.. now it just = cladding and a badge.

jannes_z-28
01-08-2005, 12:12 AM
The horror would be a4-door Camaro if GM goes the way Touring67 describes, then they wouldn't sell many and the battle with Ford would have been lost before it began.

Jan

Fawkes
01-08-2005, 01:14 AM
The Camaro would most certainly have to be a coupe, RWD with V8 power. That I'm sure they know. GM can not come out with something mundain though.

If they would have put some thought in to the GTO, it could have turned out SO much better. If I had my choice of a Sports Sedan, I'd take a 3-series Bimmer or Lexus IS300... and this is from a die-hard Pontiac nut!

Zefhix
01-08-2005, 02:06 AM
Come on now.. GM is making a TON of SS's these days...

(please note the overflowing irony in that statement)

The SS used to stand for something.. now it just = cladding and a badge.

I don't know, the SS badging is evolving...or renewing old roots..or whatever the hell you want to call it!!! Next year the SS Monte Carlo, Impala & now Cobalt (one which I have on the way for myself) all have superchargers and improved suspensions. I think GM wants the stigma of the SS back.....that's the direction I see. GM has been in so much debt due to previous heiarchy in the general's past sitting on some fat pension's and benifits. They predicted that around 2010 will be when GM can finally start actually peeking out the hole they dug. If they made good finacial arrangements, they should already have loans with arrangements to pay back past that date so more money should be being poured into R & D RIGHT NOW!! I'm praying this means an overall better quality of car from them and recognize we just have to be a little more patient. The time has come, though, and I think a 2007 Camaro would be timely, indeed.
It would make a great story. :)

Bill Howell
01-08-2005, 06:01 AM
what year did the charger come out?

ScotI
01-08-2005, 11:02 AM
Gm introduces a new pony-car to compete w/the mustang.... the 67 camaro.

Fast forward 40yrs . . .... Gm re-introduces a new pony-car to compete w/the mustang.... the 2007 camaro.

socalfandabodys
01-08-2005, 11:41 AM
not only that but
gto ws the first muscle car to come out in 64 and then again in 03
mustang came out after the gto in 64 and then came after the gto in 04
charger came out in 66 after the mustang and then came after the mustang in 05
camaro came out after the charger in 67 and now again in 07.
really weird that it all happened this way