PDA

View Full Version : Torque Arm help

Bad94
09-22-2007, 04:56 AM
Im looking at doing a torque arms set up on my 94 S-10. The truck has a 60/40 weight ratio. The bottom of the frame is 5" off the ground at ride height. The wheel base is 108".

The longest i can make the lower links are 26"
What is the shortest i could go?
How long do i want the torque arm itself?
How high off the ground do i want it mounted?

I will be building everything adjustable. But i just need help getting it close.

Also i will be running coil overs.

I would do a 3 link but i dont want to cut the bed.

Any help would be great.

Thanks Dan

Marcus SC&C
09-26-2007, 06:38 AM
Building an ideal suspension is a little like building an ideal house. I want to build a 2 story house. How many square feet should it be? How many bedrooms should it have? Should it have dormers?
:hmm: So much depends on the individual vehicle,it`s driver,fabricator skill level and it`s intended use. How well it works at the end of the day will likely have as much to do with set up as the starting numbers.
That being the case I`d look at who`s running torque arms and their hot set ups. In this case that`s 3rd and 4th Gen F body guys. They`ve been made to hook really hard at the drags and they handle well in SCCA American Iron,auto X events etc. and lots of adj. pre fab parts are available at reasonable prices. What`s more the lower half of the front suspension on 3rd gens is the same as your S10 and with a few mods (like a Stage 2 or SC-AFX) you can match or exceed their geometry. So basically it gives you a real shot at a well sorted out chassis and if you have any issues with it you can look for solutions from the 3rd and 4th gen guys. You might even be able to start out with a 3rd or 4th gen rear axle (or aftermarket HD replacement) with torque arm mounts already built in etc. If you want to improve upon it for handling you might consider replacing the panhard bar with a frame mounted watts link ala Fays2. It would be a simple matter to adapt one of their existing set ups to your S10. Set the rear RC at the same height as a stock F body PHB and tune from there. Just some ideas.... Mark SC&C

Bad94
09-26-2007, 06:50 AM
Building an ideal suspension is a little like building an ideal house. I want to build a 2 story house. How many square feet should it be? How many bedrooms should it have? Should it have dormers?
:hmm: So much depends on the individual vehicle,it`s driver,fabricator skill level and it`s intended use. How well it works at the end of the day will likely have as much to do with set up as the starting numbers.
That being the case I`d look at who`s running torque arms and their hot set ups. In this case that`s 3rd and 4th Gen F body guys. They`ve been made to hook really hard at the drags and they handle well in SCCA American Iron,auto X events etc. and lots of adj. pre fab parts are available at reasonable prices. What`s more the lower half of the front suspension on 3rd gens is the same as your S10 and with a few mods (like a Stage 2 or SC-AFX) you can match or exceed their geometry. So basically it gives you a real shot at a well sorted out chassis and if you have any issues with it you can look for solutions from the 3rd and 4th gen guys. You might even be able to start out with a 3rd or 4th gen rear axle (or aftermarket HD replacement) with torque arm mounts already built in etc. If you want to improve upon it for handling you might consider replacing the panhard bar with a frame mounted watts link ala Fays2. It would be a simple matter to adapt one of their existing set ups to your S10. Set the rear RC at the same height as a stock F body PHB and tune from there. Just some ideas.... Mark SC&C

I have a complete 4th gen f body rear suspension sitting here at our shop, thats what really got me thinking about doing this. I would be running the 10 bolt for a little while and then upgrade, once i start making real power.

I think i might just start building a set up and see how it works out. Im thinking about a 5' TA.

I was going to have to do a Watts link right off the bat.