PDA

View Full Version : 1969 Quarters on 1967-8 Body Shell?

Mean 69
01-07-2005, 02:34 PM
This may have been covered before, but how difficult is it to graft a 1969 rear body onto an earlier donor body tub? I am in the begining stages of building a new car, primarily for road racing (as in dedicated, non-street car) but am finding it difficult to find a decent donor 1969 for the project, there seem to be more of the earlier cars available, including Firebirds. I don't really like the idea of molesting a car, but I am set on the 1969 lines, and it is going to be a race car anyway.

Anyone done this? It would seem that the major pickup points would be the same, but I don't know if the roof changed, making it less feasible to consider. Any input welcome (or, if you have a decent body shell sans fenders, doors, etc, I'm interested, please PM me).

Thanks,
Mark

MuscleRodz
01-07-2005, 03:21 PM
You would have to change a BUNCH of parts. Outer wheel houses, trunk pan, drop offs, tail pan, and on, and on. If you building a race car, why not find a cheap straight rusted out body and jig a new body shell around a race chassis. It would seem to me to be easier in the end. Food for thought anyway.

Mike

vintageracer
01-08-2005, 04:21 PM
I know of a gentleman that is changing all the 68 and 69 Firebirds he can find over to 69 Camaros. The basic understructure is the same. He changes quarters, outer wheel housings, tailpanels, doors and dash top. Sell all he converts. Totally using repo sheet metal. They look good! He has enough practice!!!!

MrQuick
01-08-2005, 07:09 PM
post deleted :dunno:

trayb
01-09-2005, 03:44 PM
MrQuick, I am looking for a 69 body. contact me. thanks

MrQuick
01-09-2005, 04:01 PM
sorry Tray deal in progress

69injun
01-09-2005, 07:35 PM
I know of a gentleman that is changing all the 68 and 69 Firebirds he can find over to 69 Camaros. The basic understructure is the same. He changes quarters, outer wheel housings, tailpanels, doors and dash top. Sell all he converts. Totally using repo sheet metal. They look good! He has enough practice!!!!

:pat: That makes no sense. there is 5 Camaros for every one Firebird. A smart man would make Camaros into Firebirds. Like for instance the fact that Pontiac made 8 69 1/2 Trans Am convertibles, that is right 8, 4 RA III manuals and 4 RA III auto's. To bad nobody ordered a RA IV convertible, that would be worth some money. But last time I checked there were 20 69 Trans Am convertibles registered in the US. So making firebirds into camaros seems like sensless especialy when you can now buy the complete rear body complete for 12,000 brand new

MrQuick
01-09-2005, 11:47 PM
I know it doesn't make any sense but that is the way the market is going and has been going for the last 4 years. I remember when you could buy a running 69 Camaro for around $1500. Now rusty rollers are going around 3 grand. Untill the poncho versions get popular enjoy the ride.