PDA

View Full Version : Going to buy a torque wrench any suggestionss

Steve Firebird
09-20-2007, 04:29 AM
I want to buy a good quality torque wrench for working on my car. I see there are a lot of choices out there. What would every one recommend? I have seen the digital ones and like them but have no idea what they cost. I was also wondering if I should get a 3/8" or 1/2" inch drive or both. Can you use an adapter for to switch from one to the other if you need too? Is there any need for a 1/4”? I was hoping to get by for $200.00 or less but I can spend more if its justified. I don’t need the new cool thing to amaze my friends. I just want a quality tool I can count on that will last a lifetime. Thanks Steve

tumper93
09-21-2007, 06:02 PM
It really depends on what you will be torquing with this. If you just need one for building engines, and torquing suspension parts a 3/8 will be fine. You just want to make sure that you are not at the uper limits when you need to use it, or at the absolute lowest ends either. I personally have a 3/8 lb/in, 3/8 lb/ft and 1/2 lb/ft, but can build an engine and do most things outside of work with just the 3/8 lb/ft. My 3/8 was $230 from Mac about a year ago, the 1/2 is a Snap On and was $300 15 years ago and the inch pound 3/8 was $220 from Snap On about 10 years ago. Don't skimp on these, the auto parts store or harbor freight any of those can be used as anchors not for anything that needs a true reading. Buy one from Mac, Snap On, Matco or Cornwell (not Sears) and you will be fine.

MrQuick
09-21-2007, 09:57 PM
the auto parts store or harbor freight any of those can be used as anchors not for anything that needs a true reading. Buy one from Mac, Snap On, Matco or Cornwell (not Sears) and you will be fine. I agree, I bought a SEARS brand one years ago...when I was the sales guy was all cool and lovey dovey " the best torque wrench and warranty out there" he says...3 weeks later when the plastic collar snapped in half the same sales guy said "sorry, plastic parts are not under warranty".

My new Snap on torque wrench was dropped my a fellow co-worker and lost a sleeve screw, my snap on guy took care of it for free. Best service in the business.

Patrick
09-22-2007, 05:10 AM
Check ebay...I bought an almost brand new 3/8" lb/ft Snap On for $125.00

ProdigyCustoms
09-22-2007, 05:14 AM
I just LOVE my digital Snap On, but for nearly $400 I should. Clicker torque wrenches have been fine for years but do require recalibration especially if they sit loaded (wound up set at a particular torque). With a clicker stye wrench, they have to be unloaded, un wound, when sitting

wendell
12-05-2007, 12:12 PM
I invested $50 in a used 1/2" snap-on. A pretty good investment.

83hurstguy
12-11-2007, 08:46 AM
since this got bumped... I just got a digital 3/8" Snap-On last week. I absolutely love it...

1969CamaroRS
12-11-2007, 07:25 PM
Definitely don't skimp on torque wrenches, go for the Snap-on.

richs71Nova
12-16-2007, 09:32 PM
i bought mine from matco a few years ago, 25 - 250 ft. lbs, got a sweet deal on it when i was in trade school, brand new i think i paid like 180 bucks. a few months back i got a nice deal on a used one from Mac tools, 3/8 drive i think i paid $120 for it. i've used both and they seem fine, i would have like the ones that buzz when the torque is reached tho, seems like sometime if the bolts are springing slightly i can never feel it click.... and being that i work on subaru's, we are constantly changing head gaskets, i've been putting these torque wrenches to good use.

MonzaRacer
01-21-2008, 08:36 PM
My new torque wrench is the new techangle it does 60-2000in-lb, 1 to 100 ft-lbs and newton meters and its got the torque to yield feature built into it 3/8 drive with up to 15 deg, flex head. It will do almost everything but I do want to get one o f the 1/2 drive later on but this $405 unit will keep me making money for quite a while. Its the ONLY torque tool for doing cylinder heads on mid-late 90s and early 2000s Ford E-vans ( the 5.4 mod motor heads are a biotch and call for engine removal but I did it without and beat the 15 or 18 hour flat rate.
That tool made me a decent job and even i f I didnt make $405 on the job it paid for its self in the first 2 jobs it did.
Dont skimp, especially if you work on newer GennIII/IV and such lots of torque specs.
Oh and the best place to get batteries so far is Batteries Plus, my local store sells 8 packs of AAA/AA for $3 and change. and the Werker batts are Anerican made and hold up well even in my new Snap On scanner.