PDA

View Full Version : Ideas on how to change current 950 Wideband tune when adding Alky?

DeltaT
09-18-2007, 01:01 PM
Hi All,

Great site - I've gotten a lot of excellent info here.

As an insurance policy for hot days, track days and the occasional dyno run, I'm adding an alky system to my Vortech-blown (T-trim), intercooled 383 with the Holley 950 Commander Pro (with FJO Racing Wideband controller). I chose the FJO Racing Alky/Water Injection controller, pump and solenoid nozzle. I also got the cable that interfaces the alky to the wideband controller.

I do plan to run a 33% distilled water/67% alky mix, to keep the boiling point of the alky a little higher than straight alky so I don't have to worry about it disappearing from underhood temps.

My question is how to change my current 950 tune to accomodate the alky. Since I can pick the RPM, TPS and MAP points where the alky will start, and how much to inject, I'll be starting at the 6# of boost level. The alky will inject right at the 'hat' sitting on the 4bbl throttle body, and my injection is multipoint. The alky will inject pointing directly upstream at the incoming air.

I figure maybe I should just use my current setup as is, run a small amount of alky and datalog a couple runs, then trim fuel out until I get AFR's in the 11:1 range at WOT and above 6#. I max out at close to 11# with this setup.

Any feedback on this approach?

Also, once I get the fuel part of the tune stabilized, I was planning on going back and adding back in some timing. Anyone have experience on how much timing to use with alky at 11# of boost? My non-alky current tune is set to a conservative 17 degrees advance at 11# boost, and around 24 degrees at 6#.

All suggestions and ideas welcome.

Thanks,

Jim

My Site: http://home.mindspring.com/~jim_fisk/id1.html

camcojb
09-18-2007, 01:41 PM
Hi All,

Great site - I've gotten a lot of excellent info here.

As an insurance policy for hot days, track days and the occasional dyno run, I'm adding an alky system to my Vortech-blown (T-trim), intercooled 383 with the Holley 950 Commander Pro (with FJO Racing Wideband controller). I chose the FJO Racing Alky/Water Injection controller, pump and solenoid nozzle. I also got the cable that interfaces the alky to the wideband controller.

I do plan to run a 33% distilled water/67% alky mix, to keep the boiling point of the alky a little higher than straight alky so I don't have to worry about it disappearing from underhood temps.

My question is how to change my current 950 tune to accomodate the alky. Since I can pick the RPM, TPS and MAP points where the alky will start, and how much to inject, I'll be starting at the 6# of boost level. The alky will inject right at the 'hat' sitting on the 4bbl throttle body, and my injection is multipoint. The alky will inject pointing directly upstream at the incoming air.

I figure maybe I should just use my current setup as is, run a small amount of alky and datalog a couple runs, then trim fuel out until I get AFR's in the 11:1 range at WOT and above 6#. I max out at close to 11# with this setup.

Any feedback on this approach?

Also, once I get the fuel part of the tune stabilized, I was planning on going back and adding back in some timing. Anyone have experience on how much timing to use with alky at 11# of boost? My non-alky current tune is set to a conservative 17 degrees advance at 11# boost, and around 24 degrees at 6#.

All suggestions and ideas welcome.

Thanks,

Jim

My Site: http://home.mindspring.com/~jim_fisk/id1.html

I've never run the nozzle facing the incoming air, always at 90 degrees. Not sure it will be an issue. Not sure what your octane level is where you live, but with 91 octane I've run 28-30 degrees with that amount of boost and water injection. 17 is very conservative, even 24 is conservative, but if you are not intercooled or running water/alky then that's where you have to be, depending on your compression, cam, etc.

As far as a/f I usually tune it for around 12:1 without alky and then let it be whatever it is with the alky, unless you're injecting so much that it misfires from being so rich. Doubt you'll have that issue with the water/alky mix. You might also try straight water, as it's a better absorber of heat than alky, won't richen the a/f like alky, and is cheaper. I've done several on straight water with great results. The alky is nice if you are at the injector limit, as it adds fueling, but you run the risk of engine problems if you tune specifically for the alky, counting on it for fuel and it ever fails.

Jody

DeltaT
09-18-2007, 05:37 PM
Thanks, Jody. Good advice. Locally (NorCal) I've got the same 91 octane.

I've got a dyno test scheduled next Tues afternoon in Santa Clara at Apex Motorsports. It put down 501rwhp there before with the S-trim at 7.2#. Now it will be the T-trim, better belt layout & blower pulley wrap at 10.8# and hopefully I'll have the alky up and running so I can play with some serious advance. Any projections on my new numbers, anyone?

I do have a pretty large FMIC.

A bonus for me would be to have 1 stage of the dual Cheater kit up and running as well, with maybe a 100 shot.

Maybe I'll meet you at the Goodies event on the 29th?

Regards,

Jim

camcojb
09-21-2007, 05:35 PM
Thanks, Jody. Good advice. Locally (NorCal) I've got the same 91 octane.

I've got a dyno test scheduled next Tues afternoon in Santa Clara at Apex Motorsports. It put down 501rwhp there before with the S-trim at 7.2#. Now it will be the T-trim, better belt layout & blower pulley wrap at 10.8# and hopefully I'll have the alky up and running so I can play with some serious advance. Any projections on my new numbers, anyone?

I do have a pretty large FMIC.

A bonus for me would be to have 1 stage of the dual Cheater kit up and running as well, with maybe a 100 shot.

Maybe I'll meet you at the Goodies event on the 29th?

Regards,

Jim

I will be there Jim, along with Charley and the Mule. See you then.

Jody