PDA

View Full Version : First Gen Camaro Rear Suspension 101

leadmine_leadfoot
09-17-2007, 06:35 PM
Hello to All,

I am currently in the process of mini tubbing my 1967 Camaro. I am looking into all of my options for bolt on rear suspension. I do not want to remove my backseat. The frame rails are solid and would like to keep those also. The car is going to be a toy for the weekends and would like it to both handle and hook up. The motor in it now is a 406 full roller with about 600 hp before I add nitrous.

I am been looking into tri. 4 link and parallel 4 link. I have a problem and that being I have a Franklin (same as Winters) Quick change rearend. I can not use the Heidts bolt in 4 link because the panhard bar will interfer with my rearend.

WHAT ARE MY OPTIONS??

wendell
09-18-2007, 07:09 AM
Why do you want a four link? What are your goals for the car? Personally I wouldn't be interested in ANY bolt on rear suspension. If you just want something "trick" there are a TON of mounts and brackets available for a QC. You could scab some circle track housing mounts onto your rear and bolt it up to the chassis side of a prefab 4 link.
Or...
You could beg Lateral Dynamics to put a QC package together for their 3link. I don't know if they'd do it but it would be cool if they did!

6'9"Witha69
09-18-2007, 08:45 AM
The only suspension you should "bolt in" to the rear are leaf springs. Try the Gbar for what has been shown to be a good 4 link. It claims to be bolt in but MANY people prefer welding it. And the LD 3 link and retaining the back seat do not go together. . .
I do not want to remove my backseat.

You could beg Lateral Dynamics to put a QC package together for their 3link

leadmine_leadfoot
09-18-2007, 09:39 AM
Well, I do not want to cut and chop a very solid car apart but I want it to be able to plant the tires!!! Handling is not as important as straight line traction but is something to consider. I would we willing to weld in a new rear suspension. I would rather not have leaf springs…. so now what are my options???

6'9"Witha69
09-18-2007, 10:13 AM
DSE Quadra link or Gbar.
http://www.detroitspeed.com/productpages/indproduct/rearsuspensionprod/quadra_prod.htm
http://www.totalcontrolproducts.com/download/pdf/TCP_Vol_5_WEB_44-61.pdf

wendell
09-18-2007, 10:50 AM
Leafs will give you all the straight line and cornering performance you could ever ask for. If you want more bling, buy a 4link set up. By looking at circle track suppliers you should be able to find bolt on QC brackets that will give you pick up points similar to the supplied brackets. Most of the circle track catalogs include dimensioned drawings of there parts. Compare thos to the brackets provided once you get them in your hands.

It's not the path I would take but it's a path non the less. Good luck and have fun with it.

leadmine_leadfoot
09-18-2007, 11:00 AM
well thanks 4 the help... I just do not like the looks of leafs and would like to get coilovers for the ride height adjustment factor... would it be a bad move to make my own 4 link set up??? or would that be too advanced... by the way it looks.. many lower links hook into where the leaf spring use to bolt.. but then where my top bars mount is the question... I attached a pictre of a 4 like that I can use... i would not be able to use the torsion bar because of the size of my rearend...

Does anyone have a good article on making a 4 link in a 67 Camaro while keeping the back seat??

wendell
09-18-2007, 12:17 PM
I REALLY think you'll like the looks of leafs after you're done with this project...
But, if you're bent on it you can substitute the triangle-bar link-thing with a different locating mechanism that'll bolt onto the QC (the chassis side will be up to you). There are TONs of panhard bar brackets as well as a bunch of pinion mounted watts links. It's all possible. I wouldn't suggest designing your own 4 link.

I've posted some links to vids in the racing formum if you're still unsure of the potential in leaf sprung rears. Check them out.

z4me69
09-18-2007, 08:58 PM
i have the dse quadralink and i kept the back seat . oh and if you want to know if i'm happy with it like it so much i'm putting one in my other 69 as we speak . i wouldn't even consider any other rear set up

MonzaRacer
09-19-2007, 07:21 PM
Hey guys, has anyone ever though to tell him about Air ride Technologies Street Challenge BOLT IN 4 link.
And I guarantee you it will ride and handle awesome and as for hooking up in my honest opinion air Ride is the ONLY way to get a ride and hook in one.
Been there , done that.
I have a fella who is taking his recently bought 70 chevelle with CoolRide from ART and he moved the frame rails in on that car as he needed more tire and the car had been tubbed before he got it but the previous owner had replaced the cut up frame with a convertable unit.
It had a slightly bent rear frame rail but was ok in the suspension area so he vound the rear section and narrowed it and has some serious meat in back now.
Ill post pics as soon as he gets some this weekend. BUT with his slicks I am not gonna put money on it not pulling the wheels,
He has a 698 cube BBC we setup with Megasquirt and its running E85 too. VERY WICKED.
It sure looks like its a good hooker. It has the ART setup and tubular upper controlarms, and southside machine lift bars.
His brother has his old 540 in a 71 Cutlass with the ART rear setup and swears by it,,, he whipped his boys tweaked out 240 autocross car through a local autocross.
Good Luck
Lee

DarkoNova
09-19-2007, 08:15 PM
Well, someone already mentioned the GBar. Same thing, just with coilovers instead of airbags.

Matt

chicane67
09-19-2007, 08:44 PM
Correctly made leaf springs.... about $850, and easy to install.

They will also hook up and plant it well enough to blow the bells off your Franklin. But then again, it wont as long as you are not running something like... a useless 20" wheel and tire.

Damn True
09-19-2007, 09:22 PM
well thanks 4 the help... I just do not like the looks of leafs and would like to get coilovers for the ride height adjustment factor...

I hear ya on the coil overs, but don't quite understand the "looks of leafs" thing. They are, after all, beneath the car.

wendell
09-20-2007, 05:28 AM
I think leafs are sexy.

6'9"Witha69
09-20-2007, 08:53 AM
I doubt more than 5% of the people on this board (myself included) could drive well enough to warrant ditching leafs for "something better".

Damn I need more seat time again.

chicane67
09-20-2007, 11:32 PM
I totally agree...