PDA

View Full Version : G-Mod accessability

JLM
09-16-2007, 08:52 PM
Real quick question that I couldn't find an answer to.

I have yet to do the g-mod on my 69 bird which is currently at the paint shop. Is this mod something I can do with the fenders in place?

Obviously it would be easier without the fenders in place.

I know the shop has to pull the fenders once more before the car goes in for color (currently in primer) I'm just thinking maybe I should hop over there and do that while the fenders are off.

baz67
09-16-2007, 08:59 PM
It can be done with the fenders on, but if you have the chance to do it w/o the fenders on I would.

David Pozzi
09-17-2007, 08:22 AM
Yes, easier with fenders off but no problem doing it with fenders on.
You do have to trim the top of the mount off unless you also buy tubular upper arms. The tubular upper A arms make doing it easy.
David

JLM
09-17-2007, 01:50 PM
Yes, easier with fenders off but no problem doing it with fenders on.
You do have to trim the top of the mount off unless you also buy tubular upper arms. The tubular upper A arms make doing it easy.
David

Thanks, I was planning on just utilizing the stock arms, but I may look in to a set of tubular uppers.

The current arms already have poly bushings (yeah yeah I know), any issue with running del-a-lums on the uppers and poly on the lowers?

David Pozzi
09-17-2007, 02:38 PM
No problem at all and adding tubular upper arms will allow you to keep the upper mounts whole without having to hack off the tops. I guess it depends on how you feel about cutting the tops off the mounts.

Do check A arm clearance to the angled brace part of the mounts however.
David

JLM
09-17-2007, 05:27 PM
The car will be a driver/racer and so far from numbers matching that I don't have any issues with doing some necessary hacking. In the name of performance anyway.

David Pozzi
09-17-2007, 07:01 PM
If it's going to corner hard you need the tubular upper arms to gain caster. You can do it without the tubular upper arms, but it requires you cut off the mount and move it rearward to get that much caster. I'm talkin' +5 deg caster. You would probably only achieve +3 deg caster with stock uppers and the G mod.
David

Here is my page on the Guldstrand Mod: http://www.pozziracing.com/first_gen_suspension_geome.htm#Re-located%20upper%20mount