PDA

View Full Version : Better turning with wider wheels?

Stu Seitz
01-07-2005, 01:57 AM
So there is are all this talk about people wanting to fit 275's up front and what not. And logically it makes sense that more tire equals more traction there for better cornering power.

Well in talking with my friend I got in to an argument about wanting to put 275 all around on my 69 maro he made a good point. He said it wouldn' help cornering stating that high end cars like ferrari have smaller wheels up front and bigger wheels in back. But I think it makes perfect sense to put wider tires up front. So what's the deal is it worth is to put bigger tires up front, I think it is just need some one else to say so for peice of mind.

jeffandre
01-07-2005, 04:29 AM
Many of the exotic cars that have the smaller tires in front also have better weight distribution than our Camaros. We are fairly nose heavy and can use a dose of fatter rubber up front in my opinion. I have no real data to back my opinion up though, as it has been years since I rode around on 275/40/17's all the way around, but it did grip killer! It would be great to hear from some experts/experienced people on this one.

dennis68
01-07-2005, 08:28 AM
Cras like Ferrari have smaller wheels up front???? What is smaller is the question I guess. Running a 275/40 in the front with a 315/35 in the back is a great set-up, ask the guys who designed the Corvette.

baz67
01-07-2005, 10:05 AM
Correct me if I am wrong, but are not all of the exotics mid-engined cars. You would need more rear tire than front because of weight distribution.

For cornering with a front engined car you want the widest tires you can fit. I agree with Denny on the first gen size combo. The best suspension and brakes are useless if you can not put that to the ground.

Brian

Big $$$
12-30-2005, 02:54 PM
Too much tire can kill you in the front because every bump you hit will want to pull the car toward it -wide contact patch- Also it might be much harder to steer, but a wide original steering wheel would give you the torque to do it, just like a breaker bar. just my opinion...

joeljet
12-31-2005, 08:49 AM
my 97 ss had 275/40/17 's all the way around till it died. it handled like it was on rails. last 3 sets of tires were kumho's.