PDA

View Full Version : DSE power sterring help needed

Chevy
09-15-2007, 07:25 PM
I have a 68 camaro with the DSE power steering set-up--their steering gear and integrated power steering pump and reservoire. I have been working on the car for 3 years now, and the set-up has worked great since it was installed 3 years ago except i had a small leak from one of the braided stainless lines that i cut to fit. I took the line off, cut the end which had the inner lining bent over improperly, which is why it was leaking. I was lazy and didn't take the line completely off the car, but plugged the line and used tape to hold the stainless wires together while i cut the braiding off. I put it back together (no leaks!) and it worked fine. Until i took an extended ride in the car, after about 20 miles i lost power steering. Belt is intact, no leaks, no loss of fluid. Once i got it home, i disconnected the outlet line on the pump (high pressure side) and turned the car over to see if the pump worked. I directed the line into a little glass jar and it poured in as i turned the car over. I also did the DSE recommended air removal process of putting the front tires up and turning them side to side slowly. Still no power steering.

Although i'm thinking the most likely culprit is something small jammed in there somewhere because of my lazy "repair", it should also be noted that this was the first time since installation that the car went on a trip longer than 15 miles, all other trips in the last 3 years have been 12 miles or less.

Anyone got an idea what i need to do next?

MrQuick
09-15-2007, 08:45 PM
You might want to take a closer look at that hose, it might be pushed up and blocking the flow. Maybe do another line for it.

A tip to remove air from the system.

I use my suck tank to remove the air from the system but you can use a mighty vac set up. Just use a rubber bushing to seal up the cap hole push the hose down through the center and put a vacuum to it. start the car and let it run for about 30 seconds...it works real fast and make sure its not over filled.