PDA

View Full Version : C4 suspension install

Nate K
09-15-2007, 05:19 AM
I am installing C4 corvette suspension in my 71 Dart and have some questions I hope someone can help with. Should the lower control arm mounts be level from front to back or should the front be higher? I am planning on using all stock mounting points based on the stock subframe. Should I change any of the mounting points from factory? Are the lower control arms to be level from the ball joint to the frame mount at ride height?

please help
Nate

Texas Hotrod
09-21-2007, 09:53 AM
I can't believe that no one has replied to you simple questions.
I'm installing a C4 unit into my 68 Camaro, so I'll do what I can to help.

If you plan on a really low ride-height, then the unit will have t be tucked up into the body as much as possible. Just remember that it needs to be mocked in at ride-height. You might have to recess the bat wing mounts right up against the bottom of the trunk pan.

The half-shafts are almost horizontal at r.h. The lower control arms are angled down away from the drive shafts, at the knucles.
Set the half-shafts to 3/4 to 1 degree down angle (the knuckle being lower than the center section). The tie rods seem to point upwards (lower at the diff, higher at the wheel) and the lower control arm points downward.
The wheel hubs are also offset to the front of the diff by about 1" (another spec that I can't fully remember- I'll have to measure mine). Even though the half-shafts are almost level, the u-joints still have considerable rotation.

The front dog bones are tricky. The top link points upwards at a 5 degree angle and the lower one should be at 14 1/2 to 15 degrees (if I remember correctly). I'll check and make sure. Are the links still attatched to the front mounting bracket???

Here's an album of my suspension pics:
http://rides.webshots.com/album/560429995eEhdMS

Post back if you need more info.