PDA

View Full Version : Installing Del-A-Lums?

69protour
09-14-2007, 08:07 PM
I got my L-2 leafs and Del-A-Lums today from Global West, Nice stuff. Has anyone installed them in the frame and leafsprings? Any helpful hints on the install to make it easier? It says you have to drop the gas tank to install the bushings in the rear frame rails. Major bummer! I was hoping I wouldn't have to do this. Thanks guys. Trond

MrQuick
09-14-2007, 11:31 PM
For the front I just used my shop press and a bunch of aluminum cups I made for them.
For the rear frame I used a long 3/4" bolt with nuts,spacers and washers to pull them in. Lots of grease and make sure your hole is absolutely cleaned out.

On a positive note I have done it withthe tank in. But it makes it very difficult to clean out.

Lowend
09-15-2007, 07:55 AM
Leave them in the freezer overnight first...
And just accept that you'll have to drop the gastank

David Pozzi
09-15-2007, 09:49 AM
Did it on a second gen with gas tank in place. One side was fairly easy, the other side was a real beating! stripped the allthread, upsized it to allow larger/longer wrenches for more leverage.

The ideal way would be to run a large reamer through the bushing hole to size it.
David

MrQuick
09-16-2007, 09:19 PM
Did it on a second gen with gas tank in place. One side was fairly easy, the other side was a real beating! stripped the allthread, upsized it to allow larger/longer wrenches for more leverage.

The ideal way would be to run a large reamer through the bushing hole to size it.
David

I used my angle die grinder and an 80 grit flapper wheel. Worked like a charm but make sure you drop the regulator down a bit. Angle dril might work too.

69protour
09-17-2007, 07:33 PM
Thanks for guys, I took them to work and pressed the leafspring bushings in and then made a puller like Mr.Quick said and everything went good, took some time but I've gotten use to that. So again, thanks guys! Trond.

sik68
10-06-2007, 07:43 PM
I need help with this please!

I'm doing the same thing right now. The passenger side went in perfectly. However, I'm in a stalemate with the driver's side...the bushing tilts and binds to one side as I tighten down. To overcome this, I rigged up an even more "sophisticated" puller. I bought a 3/8" bolt. Then, I found a large diameter socket (3/8 drive) that has an OD just narrower than the bushing itself, and slid the socket over the bolt, such that the bushing is sandwiched between the bold-head end with washers, and the socket. Then i tighten a nut against the socket to hold that assembly in place. The socket is supposed to act as a center, to ensure that the bolt doesn't buckle as I'm pulling the bushing through...I thought it was ingenius, but it didn't work for me, as my finger tells me the bore is slightly flat-spotted on the outboard side, causing the "buckling" of the bushing every time I try to insert.

So...I'd love just to get a grinding bit in there and cure the flat spot, but I'm wondering if I can push the bushing in from the other side (the inboard). The global west instructions say that the bushing can only be pressed from the outboard side to the inboard side; anyone know why? The bore doesn't appear tapered.

MrQuick
10-06-2007, 08:58 PM
I believe its for ease of installation and removal.

I'd try to round it out. You can buy a 3/4" drum sander attachment for your angle head die grinder and just keep working at it.

aggressive male
10-08-2007, 06:28 PM
I was wondering if someone could tell me how a car rides after it has had Del-a-lums put on. Is it a rougher ride because the del-a-lums don't absorb the shock from bumps as well? Do you get a little less steering slop?

MrQuick
10-08-2007, 11:43 PM
overall responsiveness is very much improved but the ride is harsh compared to stock. You really feel road bumps and cracks.

6'9"Witha69
10-09-2007, 09:18 AM
overall responsiveness is very much improved but the ride is harsh compared to stock. You really feel road bumps and cracks.I disagree. THe bushings don't absorb shocks, but the suspension is much freer in motion (no bind) so it is a trade off. I love my del-a-lums.

MrQuick
10-09-2007, 11:03 PM
some people love em some people don't.

69protour
10-10-2007, 05:06 AM
Well, I've got to drive mine with the Del-A-Lums in and I love'em. Mr.Quick is right, you can feel about every bump, it is a firm ride. But the whole car feels tighter, I think quicker steering response also. Definitly free's the suspension up. To me it feels like it's on rails. Personally I'm glad I went with these. Oh, eliminated the squeeks too.

MrQuick
10-10-2007, 07:12 PM
Yeah they really do a good job taking the slop and squeek out of the stock stuff. Real solid with quick turning.

You got the fronts done too?

69protour
10-11-2007, 05:00 AM
I don't,Now I know I should of! Instead I have the GW upper and lower control arms, I opted to put their poly bushings in them primarily because of cost at the time, now I wish I would of went with the Del-A-Lums. Oh well, still handles a whole lot better than stock.

ss dave
10-11-2007, 10:44 AM
I am removing my GW L-2 springs on my 69 Camaro with front and rear Del-A-Lums and replaving them with another. The springs are like new with less then 300 miles on them. Let me know if interested. Killer price.
The ride was stiff and sure much improved over stock. No sway, hop, great acceleration and stance with 2" drop. Could hardly push the fender down. Installation wasn't a problem.