PDA

View Full Version : Is the Nelsen Racing Engines TT Motor worth it?

ZX10R
08-18-2004, 10:15 AM
Saw that Nelsen had a TT Crate Motor for $15k, do you think its a decent deal for what you get? Looking to build a twin turbo motor, but really like how they have a crate one ready to go, any input appreciated.....

http://www.nelsonracingengines.com/index2.html

gt88306
08-19-2004, 12:53 AM
this would be worth it, not sure what it costs though?

http://www.bankspower.com/twin-turbo-engine.cfm

68ls1
08-19-2004, 06:06 AM
Both of those are viscious. Bottom line.

camcojb
08-19-2004, 06:19 AM
They're both nice. I would be very hesitant on Nelson though as he has major difficulty getting anything out of his shop on any type of time schedule. Talented engine builder, but I've seen guys literally wait 1-2 years to get an engine done, and these were guys who could really help his business, big names in the industry with lots of press. If he hangs them up, what will he do with you?

Jody

ZX10R
08-19-2004, 11:44 AM
very good info Camco. Ive built a few pro-touring rides so far, and can relate to waiting, and waiting, and waiting on a business to get my stuff done. Ive had cash in hand, trying to bribe them to get it going and they still take their sweet time..........any idea how much that banks motor is?

Camcojb-- sent you a PM too :drive:

camcojb
08-19-2004, 12:08 PM
I got the pm from this morning, but nothing since. The banks kit without engine is $5995. but their complete engine is a lot more than the Nelson unit. I do believe though that it's built to handle over 1000 HP so the parts list will be different too.

Jody

copo69
08-19-2004, 03:07 PM
hard to say i built a 540 cubic inch bb chevy that nets 810 rear wheel hp and 744 foot punds at 6100 for just a liul under 9grand.. but hey i do my onw clerancing balancing and assembley .. just buy good parts

shmoov69
08-19-2004, 06:22 PM
Talk to Charlie about Nelson. He can give you plenty of info!!
Jimmy

ballistic69
08-20-2004, 05:45 AM
Gale Banks was on a recent Horse Power episode this past week with the TT small block. He stated the engine was good for 1100 HP.

XcYZ
08-20-2004, 06:03 AM
I'm going with the Banks TT on my NRE 434. Jason Wilcox, the head of the Banks Twin Turbo program, told me that he got 150 phone calls on Monday after the HPTV episode. If you have any questions, you can go here. (http://lateral-g.net/forum/viewforum.php?f=6)

XcYZ
08-20-2004, 06:20 AM
As long as we're talking about Banks, here's what they recommend:

Twin Turbo Kit – Suggested Engine Parameters

Displacement…………………………………. 305 to 410 ci. SB Chevy
Compression Ratio………………………….. 7.5 to 8.5-1
Cylinder Head………………………………… Stock or Raised Port 23 Degree
Valve Material………………………………… Stainless Steel Valves
Crankshaft……………………………………. Forged Steel Crankshaft
Connecting Rods……………………………. Forged Steel Connecting Rods
Pistons………………………………………… Forged Pistons
Camshaft……………………………………… Any type / low overlap
Engine Management………………………… Aftermarket Fuel and Spark
Maximum RPM……………………………….. 6500 RPM
Suggested Gauges………………………….. Pyrometer, Boost, Air/Fuel

Boost Levels

There are two boost levels available.
6lbs – This would work well with a stock engine or a crate engine like a ZZ4.
12lbs – This should only be used with modified engines with the modifications listed above.

Power Levels

With a properly modified engine, the kit should support up to 1100HP.

gt88306
08-23-2004, 09:13 PM
price?

protour_chevelle
08-24-2004, 08:47 AM
Is it me or is that a pretty good deal(Banks kit). With those suggestions you could cover half of them atleast with buying a fully forged stroker kit for a SBC. Then your just looking at heads, roller valvetrain, double roller, blah, blah. If your building from an already built motor(out of a car) It shouldn't be that hard.

-Matt

Matt
08-27-2004, 11:06 AM
If you have any sort of connections in your city, you can do this for much much cheaper. The 1 piece crank seal thing is nice, but otherwise I'd rather make my own engine. People act like SBC stuff is exotic....a low comp sbc with good aluminum heads, forged internals and the like can be had for ~7k. I got hooked up on all my stuff. But I have a destroked 400, all forged internals, dart aluminum heads, harland sharpe rocker arms, double valve springs, and a few other goodies for about 4k. This motor will reliably do 600hp once boosted everyday, and for race day I could step it up to about 750. The weak link is the crank, but considering the tranny I plan to run I don't need that much power anyway.

Shop around, it might be easier but it won't be yours, and it won't be cheap.

67rsconvert
08-27-2004, 09:21 PM
When I talked to Banks about 4 months ago about the complete motor as you see on the site they were around $35k and up depending on the level of polish etc. that you wanted(the picture has additional cost options shown). Nelson Racing has finished up my 396SBC and it just needs to be dynoed. I placed the order in June and have told him to take his time repeatedly since I am still getting the ancillary parts together. Tom has been great to work with for me and very helpful. If I don't reach him by phone he calls me back promptly. He also has thrown in some extras on my motor for me at no charge.
So far I am very pleased with my experience with NRE.

PT68Camaro
08-28-2004, 08:38 AM
. Yeah you read that right, As soon as I saw that episode of Horsepower TV I did some looking on the computer, $35,000. will get you whats in the picture. the kits around $5700. more for polished parts and you provide the fuel injected engine 91octane 600HP 100octane 800HP this is the route I would like to go and keep it around 600hp for the street.

Jeff

nvawgn
08-29-2004, 07:27 PM
so what's the deal with the nelsonator taking such a long time with engines Scott, is this why your going with the banks kit?

camcojb
08-29-2004, 07:36 PM
Scott got his without a major delay. He's still keeping the 434 engine but changing the compression and cam and adding the Banks kit.

I don't know what the deal is with Nelson. Some people get their stuff fairly well, and others wait 1-2 years and never get them.

Jody

XcYZ
08-30-2004, 05:48 AM
It was around 8 weeks for delivery of mine.

I had planned on boost from the start, but I had planned on getting a few seasons on the motor before I went that route, but it's going to happen sooner than I had expected.

As for the Banks kit, I have an in with Banks and I can do it myself, so I will save a lot of money. Initially, I wanted to go with fabbed headers like Kooks or NRE, but I like the packaging of the Banks manifold system with integrated turbo and wastegate. That will require a lot less engineering. I'll probably pull the trigger in the next few weeks.

67rsconvert
08-30-2004, 01:41 PM
My 396SBC from NRE may have a power adder down the road. It is set up so that if I want to boost it via supercharger (NRE offers a vortec based buildup) I just need to send the heads to NRE and he will alter the heads and lower compression enough to add the supercharger. I am still wondering how my car will get 500hp and 500lbs of torque to the ground without a supercharger!

nvawgn
08-31-2004, 12:58 PM
so nelson must be doing pretty well then, i was hoping to get get an engine from him sooner or later. Sounds like a good deal with the banks kit scott, just do me one favor when your done, please drive the car to california and take me for a ride!

hey camcojb, how much are you charging to build a blown small block?
aftermarket block
alum heads
forged goodies
ati blower
:poke:

camcojb
08-31-2004, 03:50 PM
so nelson must be doing pretty well then, i was hoping to get get an engine from him sooner or later. Sounds like a good deal with the banks kit scott, just do me one favor when your done, please drive the car to california and take me for a ride!

hey camcojb, how much are you charging to build a blown small block?
aftermarket block
alum heads
forged goodies
ati blower
:poke:

Good question! I've never charged to build an engine, because I've only done them for myself or friends. Doing my twin turbo in the next month or so and also assembling a 482 ZL-1 setup for a friend.

Jody