PDA

View Full Version : Another new Ford guy...

DarkBuddha
01-06-2005, 09:06 PM
Since I've been posting more recently, I thought I'd finally take a moment to introduce myself and my car (the important part, right?)...

Me: ex military brat, 32, a doctoral student in computer and acoustic music composition, currently teaching ear training and theory. I'm married, just had my first kid, baby 'buddha, born in August.

The car: It's a 1970 Mustang Mach 1 and it's been a long process since I've had to rely on my dad to do stuff since I'm attending grad school in Seattle and the car is in Tampa. It was my first car, originally a 351W 2v FMX car we bought for $1200 in '88. Sadly it's no longer got the 351W (long story), but it's shaping up and I've got plans for an EFI stroker 393 or 408 in the next few years. Overall, it's basically a "bolt-on" car except for some of pop's junkyard engineering projects, but there isn't any slick hardcore engineering/race parts, but I figure there's always the future. Right now we're into it for just over $15k, which makes me feel a little better about it...

Current stats:

Paint & body: Full body restoration, Bright Gold Metalic base/clear, new windshield, POR15 chasis (it ain't gonna ever rust again!), all new weatherstripping and seals.

Engine: 302 w/Weiand Stealth intake and Holley 4160 carb, Heddman shorty headers w/NASCAR spec X-pipe & 2.5" duals, Pertronix iginition, electric fan.

Tranny & running gear: stock AOD tranny, stock 3.0 geared 9 inch.

Chasis: Global West subframe connectors, Traction Master underrider traction bars.

Front suspension: Stock components with PST polygraphite bushings, 1.75" lowered upper arms, Pro-motorsports negative wedge & eccentric eliminator, 1" sway bar, rebuilt stock 16:1 power steering with poly bushings/rag joint.

Rear suspension: mideye 5 leafs w/heavy duty poly shackles, 3/4" sway bar, GW subs, underriders.

Brakes: Stock 11" power front discs, temporarily stock rear drums, stainless steel brake lines and hoses.

Wheels & tires: completely temporary '96 V6 Mustang 15x7s with cheap ass 215/65 donuts. :(

Interior & convenience: basic stock Mach 1 interior resto, late model front seats with adjustable bolster and lumbar, 3 point belts, a/c w/Sanden compressor, tilt column, electric locks & remote entry, electric trunk release, lighted rear view mirror, remote driver & passenger mirrors, intermittent wipers with upgraded faster wiper motor, remote hood release, underhood light, trunk light, Aiwa hide-away MP3 CD deck w/JBL speakers.

Currently in progress: Ultrastang 10.5" Lincoln Mark VII rear disc conversion.

Still to come: custom vintage Paxton SN60 supercharger install, 17" '03 Mach wheels, 3.89 gears, Pro-motorsports bumpsteer correction kit, and few tweaks here and there.

As you can see, I've tried to integrate some moder conveniences with a nice vintage feel and make it handle decently. I'm hoping for moderate power with the supercharger... maybe 300hp at the flywheel.

It's still needs a bit of stuff done, but it's actually almost driveable again and then it comes out to Seattle, finally after nearly 3 years. I may wait a while before doing the Paxton install just to enjoy driving it again.

Anyway, here it is in it's current state...

derekf
01-07-2005, 05:32 AM
I'm pretty sure I've already given you the "welcome aboard" speech.. but in case I didn't... welcome aboard.

I'm sure by now you've seen enough folks post their "Hi, I'm new" post to know I'm going to ask your first name. I'm also sure that you've seen enough to know that folks are going to break out the "This Thread Is Worthless Without Pics" smiley, even though you posted one... so be warned and break out more pics if you have them :)

I'm still surprised someone else here had a Scorpion - they only made - what - 1350 or so '76s. Got a pic of yours?

DarkBuddha
01-07-2005, 03:05 PM
I should've included my name... it's Wyatt. And while I do have quite a few in progress pics, I don't think they're very interesting really. Most look like every other project car out there in pieces. You can see some stuff at my MSN group webpage (http://groups.msn.com/DBsMustang/) .

Ultimately, I'm really waiting to get the car to Seattle so I can spend some time detailing it and fixing the stuff pops doesn't have the patience for. For the first couple years I flew back to Tampa several times a year to work on the car, but I haven't been able to the last year because of school and our new baby. I do have projects planned once it's here though... the Paxton is sitting in my bedroom closet just waiting for the car to arrive, so that'll be something fun to do.

As for the Scorpion, I'll have to see if I've got any pics I can scan. I was never one for taking pictures so it'll be completely random if I find one. I did love that car, underpowered and all. I was offered a couple trades, including a Lotus Europa, an Austin Bugeye Sprite, and a Jensen Healey, but they didn't have that Italian twin cam feel. Strangely enough, we sold the car to an exporter who took it to Sweden or Norway. I would've thought they could've found Montecarlos over there, but apparently it was cheaper to pay $2500 for my car and ship it overseas. :dunno:

phonedude_mln
01-07-2005, 07:54 PM
welcome -- great to have another ford guy. I have a 66 Fairlane that I plan to
officially unveil in pt trim in a month or 2.

I saw on your web page the rendering of the 17" mach1s; I have to say
I really like the Vintage Wheel Works; check out the mustang at:

https://www.pro-touring.com/forum/showthread.php?t=1813

new mustang rims on old mustangs just don't look quite right...

re: paxton - way cool. someday I'm going to have a paxton powered car...

DarkBuddha
01-07-2005, 08:58 PM
I saw on your web page the rendering of the 17" mach1s; I have to say
I really like the Vintage Wheel Works; check out the mustang at:

https://www.pro-touring.com/forum/showthread.php?t=1813

new mustang rims on old mustangs just don't look quite right...
I've debated the wheel situation for a long time... I've gone back and forth. I definitely want 17s, and I've looked at everything from TorqThrust IIs, to AR 200S daisy spokes, 17 Magnums, Cragar SS (both standard design and the Shinoda versions), late model Bullits (which are basically TTII knockoffs), Halibrands, etc., etc., etc. I finally decided on the '03 Machs when I found out I could get a set with new Proxes 4s (mounted, balanced, delivered) for under $950. Here is another rendering I just re-did that helped convince me it's still the right thing...

phonedude_mln
01-08-2005, 09:06 AM
at $950, the price is certainly right.

those are probably the best looking "new" mustang wheels, IMO. the bullit
wheels just don't have the right backspacing and don't look as good as TTIIs.

I actually considered something similar:

http://www.discounttiredirect.com/direct/findProductCategoryDetailBrnd.do?tpc=HOTSIX&tp=Truck/

but a wheel endorsed by Mattel was too much for me to swallow ;-)

bnickel
01-08-2005, 12:15 PM
hey DB, good to see ya over here. i don't really post much over here but i do hang out and loko to see what's going on

DarkBuddha
01-08-2005, 02:59 PM
at $950, the price is certainly right.

those are probably the best looking "new" mustang wheels, IMO. the bullit
wheels just don't have the right backspacing and don't look as good as TTIIs.

I actually considered something similar:

http://www.discounttiredirect.com/direct/findProductCategoryDetailBrnd.do?tpc=HOTSIX&tp=Truck/

but a wheel endorsed by Mattel was too much for me to swallow ;-)
Actually, the Hot Wheels look was part of my inspiration. I saw the Mattel wheels after the Machs came out, but I really don't want a chrome or polished wheel. I like the machined finish on the Machs. Backspacing still isn't quite right on the Machs either, but the price helps me reconcile that.

hey DB, good to see ya over here. i don't really post much over here but i do hang out and loko to see what's going on
Nice to see you posting here too Bryan. I've started spending a bit more time here... I like the flavor and wanted to add a bit more Ford presence to the scene. I'm actually surprised there aren't more Ford folks here, especially since some of the finest recent magazine feature cars have been some really incredible Mustangs and that incredible Fairlane. :dunno:

I was thinking about this today, but I dont' really think my Mach is quite a "pro-touring" or "g-machine" car. I love these cars, but I don't mind just thinking of my car as being a modern good old fashioned street machine. No crazy engineering or one off parts, no hard to find or fix stuff, not so extreme or expensive that I'd worry about driving it anywhere anytime and leave it parked on the street. Fun, functional, good looking, and fast-ish (if not really fast). :)

bnickel
01-08-2005, 04:49 PM
with the handling mods you've already made and are planning, along with AOD and the planned EFO project, 4 wheel discs and 17's i think it qualifies. personally my car is going to be styled more like where the PT/G machine cars got their start, the original canyon carvers of the 80's including the 15" BBS style mesh wheels currently on the car. i don't know if there is an actual difference between PT and G-machine other than what mags the car appears in, but i personally like to think of it as the PT cars being the more high dollar one-off type cars and the G-machines being the lower buck ower built cars. if i'm wrong someone please correct me

DarkBuddha
01-08-2005, 05:15 PM
Maybe the Mach is... I'm good with it either way.

And I dig your idea of doing the retro PT/g-machine thing with the BBS wheels, lowered with some nice fat 235/50s. That was where I started when I bought my Mach in 1988... a PST suspension, lowering springs, 15" wheels with 235/60s. I remember back in the mid '80s when my brother and his best friend (my mentors) were all psych'd about lowering their GTO and Monte and saving coin for a set of "low profile" 235/60/15s on all 4 corners, while all their friends were getting air shocks and jacking the ass end up and installing space save spares on the front of their cars. Then cars like Big Red start showing up (was it the early '90s?) and finally clue kids in and give folks a new icon. :) Gosh, I just got all nostalgic...

Restomod
01-08-2005, 05:56 PM
Welcome,I checked your Mach out and I think it looks great with the new Mach wheels on it. Keep up the good work....BTW whats the difference between Pro Touring , G Machines and Restomods???

DarkBuddha
01-08-2005, 10:45 PM
Welcome,I checked your Mach out and I think it looks great with the new Mach wheels on it. Keep up the good work....BTW whats the difference between Pro Touring , G Machines and Restomods???
Thanks. I'm not sure there is a set answer to the PT vs. g-machine, and I think a restomod can be either one but it doesn't need to be. I think restomods are exactly as the term implies... some sort of focus on both restoration and modification. I guess it would be the types of modifications that would help determine if it could be considered a PT or g-machine car.

All of that said, I'm not sure I'm all that fond of all these labels that have been brewed up. Magazines or businesses often come up with labels so they can better market themselves, but I'm not sure if it is to our (the enthusiasts') benefit. I think a label can oversimplify or over complicate the description of a car. I say call it whatever you want as long as it gets driven! :usa:

Pro-touring towncar
01-09-2005, 10:37 AM
Welcome from another Ford guy. I am currently working on my Towncar.

Tim

bnickel
01-09-2005, 11:55 AM
a buddy of mine has been toying with the idea of pt'ing his town car i'd love to see some pics of your project. :postpics:

derekf
01-09-2005, 05:47 PM
Wyatt - I know what you mean about scanning pics.. here's one of the two pics I've actually found of my Lancia - it's from '85.. and the car in front of the Lancia is the same El Camino I have now.

https://static1.pt-content.com/images/pt/2005/01/Lancia2-1.jpg

Yeah, the pic sucks - it's a 20 year old Polaroid.

Anyway, enough thread-hijacking from me.

DarkBuddha
01-09-2005, 08:12 PM
Ack! I'm having flashbacks... :jump: I did give a look here in Seattle, but I suspect all the pics from way back then are with my parents in Tampa. I see yours was the same red (orangish red really) and had the same 14" wheels, and I'll assume it had the same tan interior too. I always loved the interior, with the wrap-arounds onto the doors and hidden handles (or am I remembering hidden handles from one of dad's Fiats???). Oh, how did the top fare on yours... mine was great for about 6 months and then the sides straps broke towards the rear where they "hinged". Mine also had the Ansa exhaust and dual webbers and twin chrome mini-stacks. Pain in the ass to tune, but it was as close to a Ferrari as I think I'll ever get. See why I wish I'd kept it.

FoxGranadaChuck
01-11-2005, 04:34 PM
I am certainly glad that there are other Ford enthusiasts on this board. DarkBuddha, nice Mustang, man! The specs sound impressive, also.
I have an "oddball" Ford Fox-body that I plan on upgrading to Pro-Touring status-a 1982 Mercury Cougar sedan.
I plan on installing a Maximum Motorsports suspension kit and Baer brakes on my "oddball" baby.
When I am able to work on and complete this project, I will certainly post pics!

DarkBuddha
01-11-2005, 10:15 PM
'82 Cougar is an oddball... I think the only thing odder is the 4 door version. With the mods you've got planned it should be impressive and will make for an unusual PT machine for sure.

Pro-touring towncar
01-12-2005, 11:08 AM
My towncar project is going to get under way this spring. Currently It has a damaged pass front( damn deer). Luckily it is still driveable. I am working on tracking down parts and pieces to start.

Plans are: other than fix the damage.

98-02 Crown vic big brake conversion
lowering, either custom springs or airbags.
urathane suspension pieces.
rear discs, either aftermarket or factory mid 90s town car.
rims and tires( atleast 16s but most likely 17s)

Tim

bnickel
01-12-2005, 08:21 PM
My towncar project is going to get under way this spring. Currently It has a damaged pass front( damn deer). Luckily it is still driveable. I am working on tracking down parts and pieces to start.

Plans are: other than fix the damage.

98-02 Crown vic big brake conversion
lowering, either custom springs or airbags.
urathane suspension pieces.
rear discs, either aftermarket or factory mid 90s town car.
rims and tires( atleast 16s but most likely 17s)

Tim

that's kinda what my buddy was thinking with his. only he gets to start with an original 40,000 mile 86 town car. the paint is almost perfect as is the interior and basically everything else too.

FoxGranadaChuck
01-18-2005, 02:37 PM
DarkBuddha:
I do have a 4-door sedan. You can consider me quite an oddball, but this is THE single best bodystyle ever conceived by Ford!
And with a SEFI 5.0L V-8, SN-95 Mustang front suspension, and the aforementioned modifications, this will be one sweet ride!

DarkBuddha
01-18-2005, 05:31 PM
DarkBuddha:
I do have a 4-door sedan. You can consider me quite an oddball, but this is THE single best bodystyle ever conceived by Ford!
And with a SEFI 5.0L V-8, SN-95 Mustang front suspension, and the aforementioned modifications, this will be one sweet ride!
Ok, ok... that is freaky. You've definitely got odd tastes :screwy: , but that's where the sweetness is, isn't it. There might be one thing more freaky than a 4 door Cougar... a 4 door wagon with the "Villager" option. Mercury's first Villager: http://www.lovefords.org/galleries/member/gauthier/82_mercury.htm
https://static1.pt-content.com/images/noimg.gif

FoxGranadaChuck
01-18-2005, 06:57 PM
A "woody" Cougar station wagon with a 347 stroker V-8 and a baby seat in the back for good measure would make a REALLY sweet sleeper! :3gears: :3gears: :3gears: