PDA

View Full Version : How To Convert A Standard Rotation Water Pump To Reverse Rotation

67Sally
01-06-2005, 08:32 PM
I am just trying to flesh out some ideas and would be interested in any help that you can lend to my brainstorming.

I want to go to a serpentine system and reverse rotation water pumps were never made for my application. Ford FE Big Block.

Would the conversion be as easy as swapping out the impeller?

If yes then the next step is to find an impeller. I tried asking Edelbrock if their impellers were built to some common standards between applications; but I got nowhere with them. If there is some standardization then I could I take an impeller from a 5.0 reverse rotation pump fit into a FE pump...........maybe.

David Pozzi
01-16-2005, 11:53 AM
I would think it has a good chance of working. I'd look for a pump rebuilder if you can find one, they would have the parts and probably know what would work.
Some engines have reverse rotation versions for industrial applications.

67Sally
01-17-2005, 07:30 PM
Thanks for the sdvise David. I have heard about the FE marine applications being reverse rotation but I have not found much information about them.

OHCbird
01-30-2005, 07:34 PM
Try www.flowkooler.com they make impellers for std and rev rotation, and even have conversion kits.