PDA

View Full Version : Tko 600

rsk68
01-06-2005, 03:01 PM
I'm ready to purchase my TKO 600 and need a little advise, they have two models in the 600 one with a final overdrive of .64 and one at .82
with 373 gears and 26 inch tires that puts me at 2159 rpm @ .64
and 2767 rpm @ .82 overdrive at 70 MPH , I dont have a friggen clue what one would work better for me, I have a BB with around 500hp
any suggestions?

Thanks
RSK68
Rick Klein

dhardison
01-06-2005, 05:44 PM
Rick, I have a 525hp BB as well with the TKO-500 (0.68 5th) and 3.42 gears. My engine pulls 5th from 40mph on up without any problem. If you're looking for a REAL good highway final ratio go with the 0.64. If you're looking to race I'd (x-cross, road race, etc) go with the 0.82.

My TKO-500 has held up like a champ behind the BB with some serious thrashing and many, many 1/4 mile passes. IMHO, unless you're going to road race the car you only need the TKO-500. BTW, with my 12.5:1 dual-quad 454 I get 17.5 MPG on the highway!

Dan

parsonsj
01-06-2005, 08:41 PM
Rick,

What Dan said. I will amplify the point that the .64 is not useful for performance use. It is excellent for highway cruising. If you get the .64, think of the tranny as a 4 speed and overdrive. If you get the .82, think of the tranny as a 5 speed.

jp

rsk68
01-07-2005, 03:21 PM
Well I went and purchased the .64 unit from Keisler, I opted for the hydraulic clutch unit and all the goodies I need to make the change from auto to stick delivered to my door $4100
trans
steel mcleod bell housing & motor plate
clutch
presure plate
flywheel
hydraulic throwout bearing single line
mastercylinder and line
cross member
drive shaft
speedo cable
trans mount
and all the hardware, there could be more but i cant remember.
they said 3 weeks delivery, hope that happens.

RSK68
Rick KLein

parsonsj
01-07-2005, 08:21 PM
Rick,

Good choice. I bet Tremec is selling these transmissions by the truckload.

jp

SHANE 73Z
01-07-2005, 08:24 PM
Rick,

I also purchased my (.64) 600 from Keisler.

They do build a very nice product, but I hope you were aware of the problems I and many others have had. Because of the change over to the 500/600 series transmission I ended up ordering my transmission in January, I finally had everything to put the transmission in by JULY.

I realize this was due in part to Tremec, but then it turned out they sent me a wrong tranny (Corvette shifter location). They finally made me a tailshaft/shifter that I had to measure and spec out FOR THEM. The crosmember they sent was wrong, so I sent them a stock crossmember to modify. They promised me a fabeed crossmember that I have never received. Lastly I recieved part of a bad batch of speedo cables that spewed tranny fluid all over the drivers kick panel and me.

They made things right for me, by upgrading me to a TKO600 (original order was a 500) and refunding me some cash. I just thought you should be aware of this.

BY the way the situation above was discussed on the old board so you may have never seen it.

Take care,
Shane

P.S. If things turn bad for you, the best way to handle them is to get Mr. (Shafi) Keisler and tell him what he can do for you. They were very accomodating to (what I felt) were reasonable demands

parsonsj
01-08-2005, 04:45 AM
I've never dealt with Keisler. I bought mine from a group purchase hosted by Mike Pell (5 speedtransmissions.com). Recommended.

There were some reports of leaks around the countershaft/mainshaft in some of the 600s. It might be worth asking Keisler if they know of any engineering fix from Tremec.

jp

dhardison
01-08-2005, 06:47 AM
I called Keisler when researching my Tremec purchase, but they seemed a little to 'eager' to make the sale. It was like the ole " what will it take to get you to buy today sort of conversation", which I didn't like.

Soon thereafter I talked with 3-4 other people that had purchased a 'kit' from Keisler and they had the same type problems as Shane mentioned. I purchased mine from Forte's Parts Connection (http://www.fortesparts.com/tremec.cfm). I dealt directly with Mike Forte (who is a super "car-guy" to talk to) and had a good buying experience. Plus the couple "tech" calls made after the sale were met with good customer service and good results.

Dan

novaman_68
01-08-2005, 09:52 AM
I am looking for a TKO-600 for a small block chevy and was wondering what the kind of shipping Forte's charges? Does it depend on my location or is it a flat rate? I can't seem to find it on their webpage. I guess if nothing else I can call on monday. I have been trying to get a hold of Mike Pell @ 5speedtransmissions.com for almost a week and have got no response, his webpage says to expect a response in a few hours 24 max? I have money burning a hole in my pocket and am at a stopping point on my car until I can get a transmission. :hammer:

dhardison
01-08-2005, 11:28 AM
Novaman, IIRC it was based on your location and it ranged anywhere from $75-$150. My charge was $100. IMHO it's worth the call to Forte's on Monday.

HTH,
Dan

streetk14
01-08-2005, 01:19 PM
I have to agree with the statements made about Forte's. Mike Forte is a great guy to deal with. I bought a speedo cable & crossmember for my TKO from him. I bought my transmission from a place called Darkhorse performance about 4 years ago, and have had regrets. I also have to agree about the overdrive ratios. I have the 0.68 ratio w/ 3.89 gears, and it is really only good for a cruising gear. I have a small block near the 500hp mark, and when I shift from 4th to 5th (at aprox. 6500rpm & 130 mph) the rpm drop really kills acceleration. When I build my blower motor, I am considering changing my rear gears to something in the low 3's and changing to the 0.82 overdrive.

dipren443
01-08-2005, 10:43 PM
Hello all,

I am going to be swapping from auto to manual in my 73 z/28 pretty soon. I have pretty much made up my mind that I will be purchasing a TKO-600. My one question is regarding the actual shifting of the tranny. I have never had the opportunity to row through the gears of one of these. How does the shifting compare to a T-56 or a T-45, i.e. smoothness, notchiness, etc... Any info you guys could provide is much appreciated...

Thanks in advance,
Nick

streetk14
01-09-2005, 03:07 PM
Nick,
IMO the shift quality of the TKO transmissions is great. I have a pro-5.0 shifter in mine, and have been driving my car with the TKO for over 4 years now. I have driven a couple T56 cars, and you are speaking of the T45 that comes in late model Mustangs? I have also driven many new Mustangs as I used to be a Ford line tech. I would say that all 3 are pretty comparable. My TKO's shifts feel very "mechanical", not rubbery at all. I guess you could call it a little notchy, but very solid feeling. I drove around my friends muncie equipped 68 a while back, and after getting back into my car I realized how great my trans felt. I have heard that the TKO shines over the T56 in high RPM shifting ability, but I don't know this from personal experience. I think that you will be pleased.
Andy

rsk68
01-09-2005, 07:51 PM
I was told that at Keisler that they are aware of the leaking problems and that they take every one of them apart and basicly blueprint it, the leaking problem is repaired by cleaning up the castings a bit around the seal area's and pressure testing after, guy there seemed very helful and told me around 3 week, I will call him on monday and go over the delivery concern.

RSK68
Rick Klein

SDMAN
01-13-2005, 03:36 PM
I also got my TKO-600 from a group purchase from Mike Pell. The trans is in, and Im very happy with the way it performs. I went with the .64 OD because I always planned to use it as a 4 speed (on surface streets) and just use the OD on the highway. With the 3.50 rear gear and 27.5" tall tires I can cruise the freeway at over 85 mph at only 2400 rpm.
In a couple of months Ill find out if it can stand up to a 490 inch motor with a Vortech YSi and EFI.

mjpell
01-22-2005, 09:00 AM
I am looking for a TKO-600 for a small block chevy and was wondering what the kind of shipping Forte's charges? Does it depend on my location or is it a flat rate? I can't seem to find it on their webpage. I guess if nothing else I can call on monday. I have been trying to get a hold of Mike Pell @ 5speedtransmissions.com for almost a week and have got no response, his webpage says to expect a response in a few hours 24 max? I have money burning a hole in my pocket and am at a stopping point on my car until I can get a transmission. :hammer:

Wow, my apologies if I missed/lost/overlooked an email. I answer all emails, and the vast majority of the time I get to them on the same day.

:3gears:

Mike