PDA

View Full Version : Manual to power steering on a 69' camaro

rbr4155
01-06-2005, 01:11 PM
Well this one seems to stump most shops that I've called for some reason and what I'm really looking for is all the parts that this conversion will take to do. If anyone has any ideas or has done this I'd greatly appreciate all the feedback I can get. Thanks!

Ryan

MuscleRodz
01-06-2005, 01:54 PM
You need a power steering box, power steering pump and pulley, lines, engine bracket, and fluid. I believe there may be a difference originally in some of the steering arm lengths but not a requirement to change. Depending on your pulley arrangement, you may need different belts and crankshaft pulley. If you are running a late ps pump with remote resovoir, you will need to get a resovoir, resovoir bracket and lines to. Oh the choices we have. Hopefully I didn't forget to much.

Mike

touring67
01-06-2005, 02:35 PM
Lots of small parts that are easy to forget. If you are unsure about what you need or where to get it check out Classic Industries, I find that they usually have restoration parts like brackets and other small things that sometimes get overlooked. I guess Year One would be good too but I personally have no experience with those guys. Good luck with the conversion!

baz67
01-06-2005, 08:32 PM
Go to David Pozzi's site. You will find all you need to know.
Brian

David Pozzi
01-06-2005, 08:47 PM
I've got some good info on my web page. You need to add a third pulley groove on the crank, it's a separate pulley that fits inside the one you have now. The original pump bracket hangs off the water pump so your pump must be correct for a 69 with the needed boss. OR you can use one of the later post 69 pumps that bolts to the engine block.

Just keep in mind the 67/8 info on my page is all for short water pump Camaros and 69's have the long water pump.

chevymike
01-07-2005, 08:03 AM
IIRC the rag coupler from the column and the box are different between PS and Non PS cars. Something to check.