PDA

View Full Version : I would try to do a search for this but I don't know what to call it.

aggressive male
09-09-2007, 01:47 AM
You know how when a newer car with low mileage hits bumps they typically feel solid but high mileage cars hitting bumps may have a lot of stuff that squeeks or rattles on bumpy roads? Anyone have tips or know a thread where they talk about how to deal with this? Is this even the right place to talk about this or should I go to interior?

Olav
09-09-2007, 01:58 AM
Bottles, cans and coins everywhere.....under seats, glove box. :-)

MrQuick
09-09-2007, 11:25 AM
sounds more like a body and suspension problem.
Look at/for:
WORN:
shocks
suspension bushings
body support bushings
suspension springs causing it ride on the bump stops
CRACKED/BROKEN:
body supports
frame support brackets
body support bolts
seat frames

Olav, I call dibs on the silver! LOL

aggressive male
09-09-2007, 12:39 PM
Bottles, cans and coins everywhere.....under seats, glove box. :-) Almost nothing is in the car. Maybe the jack spare tire and tire iron are doing some of this but nothing is under the seats because I just had them out. There is something in the interior I know is squeeking but can't seem to find it.

TonyL
09-09-2007, 12:52 PM
and sound deadener. Fatmat and dynamat.

aggressive male
09-09-2007, 01:02 PM
The shocks are pretty new. The suspension bushings show cracks in them but not flaking away, the body support bushings also have cracks but no missing material. These springs are not causing it to ride on the bump stops because the car is lighter than stock. 2 of the places where the body bolts bolt in just behind the rear wheels are gone due to not completely finishing a trunk floor rust repair but then again I never fill the car with 6 people and fill the trunk with 300 pounds of stuff. All the body support bolts are solid. Not sure how to check the seat frames? Shall I wiggle the seat?

What would you get first? New suspension bushings? New body support bushings? Fabricate and weld in the 2 missing body bolt mounts? I'd hate to get this stuff and find it didn't solve the problem.

sounds more like a body and suspension problem.
Look at/for:
WORN:
shocks
suspension bushings
body support bushings
suspension springs causing it ride on the bump stops
CRACKED/BROKEN:
body supports
frame support brackets
body support bolts
seat frames

Olav, I call dibs on the silver! LOL

aggressive male
09-09-2007, 01:07 PM
and sound deadener. Fatmat and dynamat. Yeah some of the sound deadening material is missing, but this is more of a problem of things shaking and not feeling solid after bumps rather than the noise of the bump itself.

aggressive male
09-09-2007, 01:44 PM
Oh yeah I neglected to mention. Along with the 2 places that are missing that body bolts should go there are also 2 places just before the rear wheels where the body supports on the body don't look as strong as they use to be due to rot. Now do I have to fix these 4 places if I want the car to ride solid over bumps or is that only necessary if I want to fill the car with 6 people and a few hundred pounds of stuff in the trunk?

Norm Peterson
09-10-2007, 04:19 AM
You need to start by fixing the bad body mount locations. When they are in poor condition, the body and frame will deflect more both absolutely and more relative to each other. Squeaks and loss of 'solid feel' are tied to the magnitude of these body/chassis deflections. Anything attached where relative motion is possible will 'slip' more, which could be anything from interior panels to fixed glass to . . . When the body and the frame become less firmly tied together, overall stiffness and local stiffnesses go down and stresses generally go up.

I'd also inspect for body spot weld condition if this has been going on for a long time. Age and hard use can make the assumption that spotwelded panels are absolutely rigidly connected to one another somewhat less accurate than when brand-new (when it wasn't 100.00% true anyway).

Norm

aggressive male
09-10-2007, 10:53 AM
You need to start by fixing the bad body mount locations. When they are in poor condition, the body and frame will deflect more both absolutely and more relative to each other. Squeaks and loss of 'solid feel' are tied to the magnitude of these body/chassis deflections. Anything attached where relative motion is possible will 'slip' more, which could be anything from interior panels to fixed glass to . . . When the body and the frame become less firmly tied together, overall stiffness and local stiffnesses go down and stresses generally go up.

I'd also inspect for body spot weld condition if this has been going on for a long time. Age and hard use can make the assumption that spotwelded panels are absolutely rigidly connected to one another somewhat less accurate than when brand-new (when it wasn't 100.00% true anyway).

NormThanks Norm, This is just the answer I thought would be true but wasn't too sure. I'll bet where the rear quarter panels are rotted is another place it flexes that will be better once I weld in new material and get it rock solid?

ITLBTU
09-11-2007, 01:44 PM
I'll bet a lot of the noise come from the doors because of the window tracks. There could even be more loose stuff under the dash as well.

aggressive male
09-12-2007, 12:30 AM
I'll bet a lot of the noise come from the doors because of the window tracks. There could even be more loose stuff under the dash as well.I'm getting the feeling that the doors are moving up and down a little bit where they shut against a little. But I don't get the feeling the tracks in the doors have anything to do with it. There was a squeek in the dash I actually found by pushing my hand against it on a bumpy road. It was a missing screw. Probably something else in the dash but most of the noise seems to be from behind me.

6'9"Witha69
09-12-2007, 09:36 AM
Missing and weak mounts, panel rot, moving doors, that is all contributing to it. So are the bushings (all). Everything you do will make it better, just don't expect it to fell 'new' again like a modern car (unless you have lot of time to don everything at least once)

aggressive male
09-12-2007, 10:42 AM
Missing and weak mounts, panel rot, moving doors, that is all contributing to it. So are the bushings (all). Everything you do will make it better, just don't expect it to fell 'new' again like a modern car (unless you have lot of time to don everything at least once)Thanks for making me feel like I'm going to get at least a little of what I want for each of these things I fix!

6'9"Witha69
09-12-2007, 10:58 AM
Thanks for making me feel like I'm going to get at least a little of what I want for each of these things I fix!Some will make you say wow, some will make you wonder what it did (if anything). Just know that with what you indicate needs attention, one thing alone may not make a noticable difference, but in conjunction with the other fixes will make them better.

aggressive male
09-12-2007, 12:40 PM
Some will make you say wow, some will make you wonder what it did (if anything). Just know that with what you indicate needs attention, one thing alone may not make a noticable difference, but in conjunction with the other fixes will make them better.Alright thanks! By the way, do you fit in that camaro alright?

6'9"Witha69
09-12-2007, 01:38 PM
Alright thanks! By the way, do you fit in that camaro alright?Depends on how soon after the holidays!

aggressive male
09-12-2007, 04:10 PM
Depends on how soon after the holidays!Oh, You see I'm too tall for a 60's mustang but didn't know if I'm too tall for a 60's camaro. But I guess I can fit in one if you can. Did you have to figure out a way to lower the seat?

Chad-1stGen
09-12-2007, 07:18 PM
How tall are you?

I'm not sure how I would fit if i was 6'9" but at 6'4" I fit in my 68 Camaro with arizen seats fine.

aggressive male
09-13-2007, 03:05 AM
How tall are you?

I'm not sure how I would fit if i was 6'9" but at 6'4" I fit in my 68 Camaro with arizen seats fine.Thanks Chad! I'm also 6'4". Glad to know thats not going to be a problem if I ever want to get one someday!

6'9"Witha69
09-13-2007, 09:08 AM
My first car was a '66 Mustang, and at 6'6" (then) I didn't fit. I think I am just 'used to' getting in the Camaro now (after 10+ years) but when I helmet up I rub the headliner. Arizen seats are in my future as they are supposed to be lower. I am also considering the removal of the seat pan. All that needs to be done before the cage so I don't get screwed.

aggressive male
09-13-2007, 03:03 PM
My first car was a '66 Mustang, and at 6'6" (then) I didn't fit. I think I am just 'used to' getting in the Camaro now (after 10+ years) but when I helmet up I rub the headliner. Arizen seats are in my future as they are supposed to be lower. I am also considering the removal of the seat pan. All that needs to be done before the cage so I don't get screwed.Oh, guess someone heavy must have had that mustang before you and really compressed the seat down for you after a bunch of miles.