PDA

View Full Version : Removing Powder Coating

67Sally
01-06-2005, 08:46 AM
OK I have these beautifuly powdercoated suspension parts and now I want to have them powder coated a different color. Do I have to grind this coating off or can I take it to the stripper and have the parts dipped? What is the best method for removing the power coating?

Matt@RFR
01-06-2005, 09:37 AM
Jasco paint stripper. Lesser brands don't work well. Brush it on, and watch it bubble off, then take a scraper and get the big chunks, the spray off with a garden hose. It may take a couple times to get it all, but it's really easy.

Do NOT get that stuff on you, it burns like hell.

Rick Dorion
01-06-2005, 03:09 PM
My powder coater put a different color over an existing. He said no more than 3 coatings can be done. I've known him a long time and his work has always held up well for me.

quadfather
01-06-2005, 03:57 PM
most reputable powder coaters can burn your old coating off before sandblasting ,and then prep for your new color.

67Sally
01-06-2005, 08:19 PM
Thank you very much for the information guys. I will revive this thread and let everyone know how it all turns out.

texasdvldog
10-31-2005, 10:47 AM
Thank you very much for the information guys. I will revive this thread and let everyone know how it all turns out.

well...what happened???