PDA

View Full Version : Oil leak!!

66 II
09-08-2007, 01:19 PM
Hey there,

OK, first post!

I am having issues with an oil leak that is driving me nuts! :banghead:

In an attempt to cure what I believed was a crankcase ventilation issue, I have reaplaced the valve covers with baffled units while maintaining the current breather/PVC set up (PCV is clear and free of debris).

The leak is coming somewhere from the passengers side of the engine and for the life of me, I cannot find it! (even with dye)

Here is what I have verified so far...

1. Valve covers appear to be dry (verified with mirror while running)
2. Rear main appears to be dry
3. Oil pan gasket is dry
4. Rear of intake has seepage, but is not flowing

The starter is covered with oil, the inspection pan has oil in it as well. I have looked all around the top side while running and do not see the source. When the engine is revved slightly, there is a puff of smoke off the header, but I cannot see where it is comming from. Meanwhile there is a steady drip down below the starter and oil pan. https://static1.pt-content.com/images/pt/2006/10/confused-1.gifhttps://static1.pt-content.com/images/pt/2007/09/mad-1.gif

Could there be an issue with an oil galley plug in the rear of the engine?

Thanks in advance for the help!
Todd

Oh yeah, all the rambling I forgot the specs: 406 SBC in 66 Chevy II!

6'9"Witha69
09-10-2007, 09:56 AM
Have you looked at the bolt in the front of the block near the fuel pump? Very common miss and oil issue there.

66 II
09-10-2007, 12:30 PM
Yeah, first place I looked! This leak is driving me nuts!!

67 caprice
09-10-2007, 02:46 PM
Check the Dip Stick.

66 II
09-11-2007, 02:33 PM
been there, done that too.

6'9"Witha69
09-11-2007, 02:36 PM
Oil galley could do most of what you describe, but pressurizing enough to get out of the bellhousing and get the headers? Not so sure.

What about the pressure tap by the distributor?

66 II
09-12-2007, 02:59 AM
I checked that as well as the rear of the intake while the engine was running. There is some seepage at the rear of the intake, so I will replace the gasket and reseal the corners to fix that, but there is not enogh oil coming from that area to create the puddles under the car.

I am planning on getting under it again this weekend to check the galley and rear main area once more.

Thanks for the replies so far!

6'9"Witha69
09-12-2007, 09:21 AM
What type of pan gasket are you running? I used a cork on once (switched to 1 piece rubber and never used anything else in 9+ years) that pinched and under slight acceleration would squirt out the side.

Novabjorn
09-12-2007, 02:44 PM
a friend of mine accidentaly put one of those oilgallery plugs with a small hole in (for extra lube of camchain), in rear of block instead of front...Was leaking VERY much.
One way too search is too put airpressure too the crankcase and then spray the engine with soapwater. 0,1 bar is enough and even a small leakage will create much bubbles.