PDA

View Full Version : Adjustable Power Steering?

MLS
09-08-2007, 05:19 AM
I recently completed my 69 Firebird and it has factory power steering. Since I've been driving a 4th Gen T/A the last few years, the steering on the 69 seems way too sensitive (easy to turn) at highway speed. In other words, unlike my T/A, the 69 has the same amount of assist in a parking lot as it does on the road. I saw that Heidt's has a manually adjustable valve (PS-101) that installs inline between the pump and box. Has anyone had any experience with this? Thanks!

69Bbird
09-08-2007, 08:25 AM
I have the same problem with my bird. Almost not safe sometimes. I also have a close ratio steering box so its even worst. Anybody have a fix.

MLS
09-08-2007, 11:04 AM
Exactly. Better not get heavy handed when adjusting yourself in the seat on a trip or you could be in the ditch pretty quick! :scared: Not sure if I have a close ratio box but a little gose a long way in terms of the steering wheel movement to response. I purchased a steering stabilizer (looks like a shock) and was going to fabricate brackets to install it but I'm not real excited about that as a solution. I think the adjustable valve would be a better way to go.

How can I determine if the box is close ratio? Since it came as a 350 2bbl car, I doubt that it is.

69Bbird
09-08-2007, 02:10 PM
It's is a aftermarket box 2.5 turn I think. Did a search for a solution before on this website but found nothing. Was also thinking of going to a rack and pinion setup. I would be all for a cheaper solution. I'm running a hydroboost to. Wonder how that part would effect it. This has to be a common problem right?

TitoJones
09-08-2007, 08:50 PM
The over assisted feel you are getting is due to the factory style valving inside your steering box. Best fix is to replace your steering box with one of our 670 boxes with rack and pinion valving. It will have enough assist at low speeds so you can park easily, but on the open road you get much more feel and 'drag' in the effort.

It will transform the way the car feels dramatically.

Tyler.

LowBuckX
09-08-2007, 09:05 PM
Yes a 670 box will help. They are available at many vendors and PT.com sponsors. You may have header clearance issues with the 670 though. Also one of our sponcers sells pumps valved for better feel.

68Formula
09-09-2007, 04:53 AM
You can get yours redone by Lee Mfg. for more feel. Or get a box out of an Iroc Z28 (you have to convert the fittings to work with your existing hoses). Do a search on those things and you will find plenty.