PDA

View Full Version : Gas Tank?

Rob68427
09-08-2007, 03:51 AM
Hello
I am building a 68 Chevelle with a 550hp big block. Carburator setup.
I need a fuel system that will handle this much hp & won't blog on hard cornering.
I was looking into a Rick's Tank but the price is a little steep.
I don't want a sump, don't want to see the fuel lines from the back. And a fuel cell is out, I want a trunk.

Any suggestions for this setup?
Mechanical or electric pump?

Thanks

HILROD
09-08-2007, 09:30 AM
If you are going NA, not forced induction, and not using the car for strictly drag racing, a stock tank will work. You could run either a mechanical, or electric pump at that level. A set of stock 3/8 lines would also get you by. A larger 1/2 line would be a little insurance but not manditory. The bigger line would mean modifying the fuel sender or the tank to get the bigger fuel pickup. If the goals you stated are the max power limits you will have stock lines with an upgraded mechanical pump, is the simplest and probably the cheapest, and most reliable. Also if you are going to put a lot of miles on the car, easiest to find parts for if there is a break-down.

ProTouring442
09-10-2007, 02:30 AM
Do a search on gas tanks on this forum, there was a guy who put a late model Caprice FI tank in a Camaro. If it will fit in the Camaro, it should fit in an A-body!

Shiny Side Up!
Bill

Mkelcy
09-10-2007, 06:41 AM
Hello
I am building a 68 Chevelle with a 550hp big block. Carburator setup.
I need a fuel system that will handle this much hp & won't blog on hard cornering.
I was looking into a Rick's Tank but the price is a little steep.
I don't want a sump, don't want to see the fuel lines from the back. And a fuel cell is out, I want a trunk.

Any suggestions for this setup?
Mechanical or electric pump?

Thanks

I've just gone through a similar gas tank issue for an EFI 383 in a '68 Camaro. I located a local guy (SoCal - and very hard to find someone willing to do the work) who would modify the stock tank as I needed. I purchased a Tanks, Inc. in tank kit (probably could have gone with something cheaper and you would certainly want something different for a carbureted engine) http://www.tanksinc.com/index.cfm/page/ptype=product/product_id=84/category_id=61/home_id=61/mode=prod/prd84.htm
and an Aeromotive tank sump http://store.summitracing.com/partdetail.asp?autofilter=1&part=AEI%2D18650&N=700+0&autoview=sku.

We dumped the fuel tray from the Tanks, Inc. fuel pump and installed the pump so it pulled from the supply side of the sump, which is a much heavier gauge material than the tank itself. We capped the extra fittings on the pump, and one of the AN 10 fittings on the sump. I'll use the return AN10 fitting on the sump for the return and plug the other AN10 fitting on the sump. All of the fittings are on the front side of the tank - facing the rear end.

The baffling is outstanding. The sump extends almost to the top of the tank, so once fuel is in the sump, it's not easily sloshed out again. I should be able to run the tank down to 1/2 gallon or so without fuel starvation. The return comes back to the sump in a separate section, so fuel heating in traffic should also be somewhat less of a problem. The top is recessed to allow for electrical and fuel connections without interference and the sump isn't nearly as low as the center of the rear end.

I've attached a picture of the completed tank.