PDA

View Full Version : Pulling engine trouble! Help

Project69
09-07-2007, 09:00 PM
Well im looking at the transmission and how do you get to the 2 top bolts on the case to the engine? Theres no room to get a wrench or socket in there. I was thinking about unbolting the transmission from the crossmember and sliding the engine to the front with the hoist and getting it that way.

What do you think? Any other ways? I dont want to take the transmission out with the engin.

-Rob

MrQuick
09-08-2007, 08:36 PM
not even a gear wrench?

yeah, you can do it that way. I've removed the motor mounts and the motor will come down a bit. What car?

dropit69
09-08-2007, 09:05 PM
i got a gearwrench that is bent in like a 45 at each end at sears..works great..those 2 bolts do suck though...

Project69
09-08-2007, 10:51 PM
not even a gear wrench?

yeah, you can do it that way. I've removed the motor mounts and the motor will come down a bit. What car?

Its a 69 Camaro. Honestly i cant see the bolts from under neath the car. The tranny tunnel is about 1/2" from touching it.

Jim Nilsen
09-09-2007, 02:59 AM
I have always found it to be a lot easier to pull them out togehter. Getting it back together from under the car is a real pita. I have done it all by myself pulling and installing them together but apart you with be screaming for help. I use a floor jack to raise the tranny to clear the crossmember as I take it in and out and with the car on flat ground you can pull or push the car to position the motor as you go along and also moving the hoist at the same time if needed. I know you think it might be harder but it is also much easier to make sure everything is back together right and nice and clean.

Make sure your get a plug for the output shaft of the tranny and it will make things a lot easier.

Otherwise the 2 bolts you are talking about come loose from the top easier than the bottom and a gearwrench will do it from my experience easier than the turn and flip 100 times with an open end!!

Goodluck and stay calm:cheers:

MrQuick
09-09-2007, 11:05 AM
wow that is close...usually you have more room than that...you can get hectic and loosen the subframe mounts and slide it foreward.

We got hacky on my buddies 440 Challenger by drilling 3/4" holes in the firewall and covered them with 3/4" plastic plugs. What can I say we were young.

Project69
09-09-2007, 11:51 AM
wow that is close...usually you have more room than that...you can get hectic and loosen the subframe mounts and slide it foreward.

We got hacky on my buddies 440 Challenger by drilling 3/4" holes in the firewall and covered them with 3/4" plastic plugs. What can I say we were young.

lol well im at that young stage to but im not about to pull out a hole saw and go crazy haha. And yea it is very close. Do TH-350s have different size cases or something because its tight against the tunnel.

MrQuick
09-09-2007, 12:26 PM
lol well im at that young stage to but im not about to pull out a hole saw and go crazy haha. And yea it is very close. Do TH-350s have different size cases or something because its tight against the tunnel. maybe the subframe bushings are worn? might just be misaligned too?

the camtender
09-09-2007, 02:45 PM
Here you go
1st remove distributor cap,(or the whole dist.if thats coming out anyway)

2nd loosen motor mount bolts(center through bolt)

3rd place floor jack under trany(with jack handle toward rear of car)

4th remove trans crossmember and lower jack (trans) about 4" or so

5th now from the bottom,with a long 3/8 drive extension 20"-30" long with a 9/16 swivel scoket,the top to bolts are just as easy as the others:fingersx:

Project69
09-09-2007, 03:21 PM
maybe the subframe bushings are worn? might just be misaligned too?

Nope replaced them with poly bushings no drop.

MonzaRacer
09-09-2007, 03:37 PM
What camtender said

the camtender
09-11-2007, 01:07 PM
uh,sure no problem??

Project69
09-11-2007, 09:24 PM
Its cool i got it out and torn down today. Now its off the machine shop. Thanks for the help guys.