PDA

View Full Version : T56 install into 74 F-body...

xero
08-18-2004, 09:42 AM
I'm in the process of gathering parts for a T56 installation into a 1974 Firebird Formula 350 with a stock 3 speed manual and a Pontiac style 350 small block. Car is literally 95% original. The engine purrrrs with only 135K on it, but the clutch/transmission is a real pain in traffic and I wish to make some long road trips in the car and need it get somewhat better highway milage. I need some advice here...

I've been to www.t56kit.com and the kit for the 2nd gen Fbody should be out soon and I'm thinking this is the kit I will use since it has the Pontiac style block adaptor plate included and I can retain the stock starter location. Kit will include all needed parts and adpators so I don't have to do any welding. I read on the T56 kit site that they recommend a "98+ LS1 style T56" and that the hydraulic throw out bearing is key to not having to relocate the stock starter. Does anyone know the part number for the 98+ LS1 style T56?

A local wrecker is offering me a sweet deal on a practically new T56. Here is all the info he could give me:
The tranny is model # 1386-000-011,
It has a 26 spline inputshaft and 27 spline output shaft.
Gears are as follows: 2.97-2.07-1.43-1.00-.80-.62 with a 3.28 reverse. Lakewood scattersheild, Ram billet steel flywheel, centerforce dual friction clutch, and every fastener needed to install it.
The clutch is 11 in. diameter, 1 1/8 in. x 26 spline input shaft Centerforce dual friction part # DF148552
Flywheel is a Ram billet steel SFI approved part # 1501, internal balance, 168 tooth, billet steel, 33 lbs.
A lakewood clutch-fork, Centerforce throwout bearing, Lakewood adjustable fork stud, and new tranny mount are included.
Also comes with ARP Pro-series bolts for both the flywheel to crank and also pressure plate to flywheel. This setup is in perfect condition and was barely used according to seller.

Would this part be a "98+ LS1 style T56"? Are these gears decent for street use? I want the car to have a nice 0 to 60 time, but I also want low RPMs on the highway to save gas. Unfortunately I do not know what the stock rear end gears on the Firebird, and I don't know if there is a way to tell simply by looking at the car. :dunno:

Any help is greatly appreciated! :hammer:

TitoJones
08-28-2004, 03:07 AM
That T56 does not sound like a LS1 style T56.

The easy way to spot one is the bellhousing has added a 12 'O Clock position, and deleted the 2 'O Clock position. The LS1 T56 also has a hydraulic throw out bearing on the front of the case, over the input shaft.

Good luck on your search, and if you need us to do the install, we'd love to get our hands on a 2nd gen!!
Tyler

Hurst - Jeff
08-28-2004, 10:17 AM
The T56 you are looking at is an "Aftermarket T56" not an LS1 T56.

carbuff
08-28-2004, 06:41 PM
The T56 you are looking at is an "Aftermarket T56" not an LS1 T56.

Are you basing that on the gear ratios or the part number?

The 93 T56 used two different sets of gear ratios that were specific to that year. The more rare one used a 3.2x first gear, and the more popular one used a 2.97 first gear. Since 1994, the f-body T56 has always used a 2.66 first gear.

I don't know what would identify the tranny as an aftermarket unit, but it's either that or a 93 LT1 unit. The 93 units had a lower torque rating (300ft-lb for the 3.2x first gear, 350 ft-lb for the 2.97 first gear vs. 400ft-lb for the 94+ units), but I know a lot of 93 Camaros back in that day that were a bit quicker in the 1/4 mile (the wider ratio was my guess as to why), and I also knew a few that threw a lot of HP at them... So, I would use it if you are getting a good deal on it.

BTW, I'm also an Austinite. Are you on any of the local lists here?

Bryan

Hurst - Jeff
08-28-2004, 07:57 PM
According to the part # that was provided, this is a "GM aftermarket" T56 as named by Tremec. You can view a list of T56 part #'s at Tremec's website: http://www.ttcautomotive.com/English/onlineorder/product.asp#General%20%20Literature.
Click on the "Light-duty Condensed spec" PDF icon and you will see a copy of Tremec's brochure that has all the part #, gear ratios, etc. for their line of T56's.