PDA

View Full Version : some cars should be protected from their owners

bookends
01-05-2005, 09:12 PM
I work with this guy (pretty much a moron). He owns a 73 formula 455. The car could be very nice. He has the typical cragar mags, 15x10 sticking out about two inches in the rear. The dash is ripped apart in his attempt to rewire it (cut splice, liberal use of electrical tape). and the car is littered with trash and empty cigarrete packs. well about a week ago he offered to sell it to me for $3000 (this is a numbers matching car no less) his roomate was kicking him out cause he hasn't paid rent in about a month. I accepted, told him I needed to cash in a couple of investments I'd have the money monday morning.
Monday rolls around and he backed out. He moved back in with his parents and now wants to do a frame off resto on it. He even asked me if I knew anywhere he could get a wood grain kit for it?! I know the inevidable, he's going to tear it apart and it will sit forever, this guy can't even finish a sentence. I know this is just a rant but some people frustrate me with their stupidity. I knew you guys would understand.
Jon

Matt
01-05-2005, 10:02 PM
Depressing. I had a friend with an 442 that pretty much did the same thing. Nice guy, but as you said couldn't commit to anything. Even more of a shame is those stories are even more common than those that finish the project.

rob07002
01-06-2005, 01:40 PM
Go get $3000 cash in 20's and bring it to him, spread it out all over a table or something. My guess is if he's as inept as you say, it will be hard to turn down. If he accepts, make him get the title and keys right then and close the deal.
Or, if you really want the car and don't mind being alittle underhanded, goto his house when his parents are home and he's not. Explain you want to buy his car to help him move out on his own and show them the cash...

Good Luck

touring67
01-06-2005, 02:19 PM
Thats some sly thinking rob but I'm betting it would work. Explain to him that it will COST him money to do this car. If he lives with his parents and can't pay his rent I'm sure the allure of lots of bills will allow him to turn over the keys to you. Just tell him that if he keeps it he will have to live with his parents much longer thus limiting his girlfriend status I'm sure...unless he has one already...Go give it another shot!