PDA

View Full Version : New speedo won't work

tcmiller69ss
01-05-2005, 06:53 PM
I rencently purchased a Covan's dash for my 69. The install went well except I cannot get the speedo to work. Replaced the cable drive with the specified sender from Autometer and wired it up. The speedo is programmable but no matter what I do the needle bounces all over the place. I'm stumped any help would be appreciated.

Thanks,
Chris

zbugger
01-06-2005, 08:05 AM
Can you explain how you wired it? Also, did you follow the directions on how to calibrate it?

tcmiller69ss
01-06-2005, 08:22 PM
Thanks for the response Allen. I have the purple signal wire from the Covan harness to the signal on the sender. I have the yellow ground wire from the harness to the ground on the sender and both back to ground. I also have a separate 12V from ignition to the sender. I think that I may have discovered my problem. Have you had any experience changing a speedometer gear? Mine doesn't seem to engage with anything. I stick it in the transmission and it just kind of sits there. Is this correct? One point I forgot to mention was when I was running factory gauges my speedo didn't work then either. This leads me to believe I have a problem with the gear.???

zbugger
01-06-2005, 10:21 PM
That's quite possible now. Take the sender off and see if you can pull out the driven gear. Then, try and see if the drive gear is on the tailshaft. Also see if you can spin it or not. It could be slipping. It could also be some teeth missing. Either way, check it out.

ViperBlue68
01-07-2005, 03:40 PM
i had to replace the gear on mine as well (68 Camaro) when i got the covans panel also my fuse was blown! lol easily fixed :fingersx: after that

MangeMD
01-08-2005, 03:27 PM
Some of the gears were nylon and mounted to the shaft with a clip. Mine was detonated. I bought a steel gear and had it pressed on.

Z4MYBOYS
06-22-2005, 06:50 PM
The problem is that you have to loosen the adapter fitting between the tach and the push on cable. I was going crazy myself with that for 3 days!!! Guaranteed to solve your problem. The fitting if making contact with the brass rotating ring. If you keep driving it it is guaranteed to break the cable. Trust me!!