PDA

View Full Version : Any comments on this Tig welder

Cdog
01-05-2005, 06:29 PM
KEMPPI 250 AC/DC WATER COOLED TIG WELDER.

Is it any good? Not a very common brand. How much is one worth in good condition? Can I expect it to handle most chassis and tooling jobs?

Matt@RFR
01-05-2005, 07:17 PM
I've never heard of the brand. Do they have a website, or do you have any more information on the welder that you can maybe scan and attach here?

Assuming a good machine, a 250 will weld any thickness steel, and aluminum and mag up to about 3/8" with no pre-heat.

Cdog
01-05-2005, 07:24 PM
Here are the spec's that I have avaliable. Everytime I look up the brand, the sites are in the UK. Pretty sure it's a euro brand.

THIS KEMPPI MASTERTIG 2500W AC/DC TIG MACHINE HAS BEEN USED IN THE MANUFACTURE OF MOTORSPORTS COMPONENTS

IT IS IN IMMACULATE CONDITION.

IT IS A TRUE 3 PHASE MACHINE WHICH DRAWS 10AMPS PER PHASE AT 250AMPS WELDING.

IT WEIGHS ONLY 65KGS IN TOTAL AND IS 690MM LONG X260MM WIDE X 830MM HIGH.

IT IS A FULLY WATER COOLED PACKAGE.

The “READY TO WELD “package is as follows:

KEMPPI MASTERTIG 2500W (WATER COOLED) C/W PRIMARY CABLE AND GAS INPUT HOSE

KEMPPI C100F REMOTE FOOT CONTROL WITH LEADS AND PLUGS

WP-20 12’ WATER COOLED TIG TORCH

REGULATOR AND FLOMETER

TORCH ACCESSORY KIT (1.6 & 2.4 SPARES AND TUNGSTENS FOR ALUMINIUM AND STEEL)

EARTH LEAD DINZE PLUG AND CLAMP

ARC WELDING LEAD, PLUG AND ELECTRODE HOLDER.

MANUAL

Features:

HF START AND LIFT TIG (USED WHEN SENSITIVE ELECTRONIC ITEMS ARE NEARBY)

AC FREQUENCY FROM 50 TO 200HZ (USED TO NARROW THE ARC WHEN WELDING ALUMINIUM-GOOD FOR FILLETS OR THIN ALUMINIUM)

POST GAS TIME FROM 0 TO 100 SECONDS.

ADJUSTMENT OF THE DOWNSLOPE TIME WHEN WELDING WITH TORCH SWITCH.

ADJUSTMENT OF THE UPSLOPE TIME WHEN WELDING WITH THE TORCH SWITCH.

PULSER UNIT WITH BACKGROUND AMP ADJUSTMENT, FREQUENCY OF PULSES, AND PULSES PER SECOND.

SOFT START ADJUSTMENT FOR WELDING WHEN USING A TORCH SWITCH

MINILOG FACILITY FOR ADJUSTMENT OF 2 WELDING AMPERAGES WHEN USING THE TORCH SWITCH-YOU CAN CHANGE FROM ONE TO THE OTHER WITH A PRESS OF THE TORCH BUTTON.

PRE GAS ADJUSTMENT FOR COMPLETE ARGON COVERAGE BEFOR THE TIG ARC IS INITIATED.

TIG SPOT WELD FACILITY IN SECONDS.

AC BALANCE CONTROL, YOU SELECT THE SIZE OF TUNGSTEN ELECTRODE BEING USED AND ADJUST EITHER WAY ON THIS CONTROL FOR MORE CLEANING OR PENETRATION WHEN WELDING ALUMINIUM.

ARC FORCE CONTROL IN MMA (MANUAL METAL ARC WELDING) TO STOP DIFICULT TO USE WELDING RODS FROM “STICKING”.

BROKEN ARC ADJUSTMENT IN MMA WELDING USED WHEN WELDING ITEMS THAT CANNOT TOLERATE CONTINUOUS WELDING.

DYNAMICS ADJUSTMENT IN MMA TO CONTROL SPATTER.

MEMORY FACILITY TO SAVE ALL SETTINGS FOR PARTICULAR APPLICATIONS AND RECALL THEM.

DIGITAL READOUT OF VOLTS AND AMPERAGE.

MAIN CURRENT CONTROL KNOB OPERATES AND ADJUSTS ALL PARAMETERS.

KendallF
01-05-2005, 07:36 PM
Note that this is a 3 phase machine. You won't be able to run it on residential power unless you buy a phase converter, and you'd need a pretty good sized one to supply that machine. You can often find big 3 phase machines cheap on Ebay; they're cheap because they're hard to power and they're heavy enough that shipping costs are prohibitive.

Cdog
01-05-2005, 08:22 PM
Note that this is a 3 phase machine. You won't be able to run it on residential power unless you buy a phase converter, and you'd need a pretty good sized one to supply that machine. You can often find big 3 phase machines cheap on Ebay; they're cheap because they're hard to power and they're heavy enough that shipping costs are prohibitive.

Thanks for the info on that. I guess it'll be no good since it's the 3 phase.

Matt@RFR
01-05-2005, 10:02 PM
I dunno. It sounds a lot like the Miller Dynasty's with all those features, but like everything else, it might be really cool on paper and suck in practice. Who knows.

It is interesting, though, that they say it "only" weighs 65kg (143lbs), when the Dynasty 300 weighs 90lbs.

Again, comparing it to the Dynasty 300, It's pulling 30 amps @ 250a output 3 phase, whereas the 300 pulls 63a @ 300a...That's a cheap breaker compared to buying a phase converter.

And just so you know, if it is a good machine, there still can be a fairly steep learning curve with all those adjustable parameters. If you're looking to do extreme quality welds, it's good, but if you're just a weekend weldor, it's not worth the trouble.

Matt@RFR
01-05-2005, 10:08 PM
Read the right hand column on this (http://www.deselectric.com/static) page. Looks like you'd be in the market for a rotary phase converter, which are much more expensive.

Cdog
01-05-2005, 10:36 PM
So what size converter would I need for this welder. If I paid say 6-700 bucks for the welder would it be worth it?

Matt@RFR
01-05-2005, 10:42 PM
I dunno man, it's just up to you. I think it's alittle risky though, since noone seems to know the brand. If you can afford alittle over twice that price, I'd buy a syncrowave 180...single phase too.

Concerning phase converter sizes, they're all rated by the horsepower that they can run. I couldn't find any mention of amperage numbers in my quick search. Your best bet is going to be to call a business that deals with phase converters.

Also, you'll probably get real tired of that 12' torch lead! I didn't even know they made them that short!

sanddan
01-06-2005, 09:06 AM
FYI

Both the Miller and the Lincoln 180 amp Tig machines come with 12.5 ft leads as standard. You might be able to special order with 20 ft leads but none of the dealers I checked with carry anything other than the standard package.

Dan

Matt@RFR
01-06-2005, 09:39 AM
Dan, are you sure that they were talking about water cooled torches? The 180 comes stock with an air cooled torch. Big difference. My Weldcraft water cooled torch has a 30ft lead.

Cdog
01-06-2005, 11:56 AM
So in looking in other options on a tig welder I have found the Lincoln 185 and the Miller 180 for about the same prices. They appear to be very simular in performance with exception to the Lincoln having some kind of built in pulser. What are you limited to with these welders? What is your brand prefrence and why? What are your good and bad experiances? Would I be better off buying a bigger tig machine that's used for about the same price?

Matt@RFR
01-06-2005, 12:36 PM
See this (https://www.pro-touring.com/forum/showthread.php?t=1749) thread for my views on the brands. It applies to MIG's as well as TIG's.

You don't need a pulser unless you're welding very thin sheetmetal (which you should be using a MIG for, anyway on car body stuff).

The 180 is the first TIG I bought, and it's a good machine. You'll be limited to about 3/8" steel and 1/4" aluminum. You'll need alittle preheat on 1/4" aluminum, too.

If you have the money, it's allways better to buy bigger than you think you need. It seems like there's allways something that comes up that you wish you had a bigger welder.

Cdog
01-06-2005, 12:50 PM
See this (https://www.pro-touring.com/forum/showthread.php?t=1749) thread for my views on the brands. It applies to MIG's as well as TIG's.

You don't need a pulser unless you're welding very thin sheetmetal (which you should be using a MIG for, anyway on car body stuff).

The 180 is the first TIG I bought, and it's a good machine. You'll be limited to about 3/8" steel and 1/4" aluminum. You'll need alittle preheat on 1/4" aluminum, too.

If you have the money, it's allways better to buy bigger than you think you need. It seems like there's allways something that comes up that you wish you had a bigger welder.

Thanks for your input. I think it may be a better idea to wait and find a used machine that's bigger for about the same price.

B Schein
01-06-2005, 04:37 PM
We have a few old Kemppi machines at work they don’t get used much any more but are still a good reliable machine. They are at lealest 15 years old and are basically a precursor to the inverter machines that we have to day. They are AC/DC and can stick weld tig and mig and it is all self contained in one small machine no separate wire feeders or hi frequency boxes. I’m sure this are nothing like the machine you are talking about, but I believe they are good quality machines. All so if you are interested I built my own phase generator for my mill and lathe and it could be easily replicated. I used a used three phase motor I picked up at an action for 20 dollars a capacitor form grangers that was 15 dollars and a there phase disconnect box and I almost forgot al light switch. I can get some pictures and try and make a wiring diagram if you would like.

Brian

Cdog
01-06-2005, 07:20 PM
We have a few old Kemppi machines at work they don’t get used much any more but are still a good reliable machine. They are at lealest 15 years old and are basically a precursor to the inverter machines that we have to day. They are AC/DC and can stick weld tig and mig and it is all self contained in one small machine no separate wire feeders or hi frequency boxes. I’m sure this are nothing like the machine you are talking about, but I believe they are good quality machines. All so if you are interested I built my own phase generator for my mill and lathe and it could be easily replicated. I used a used three phase motor I picked up at an action for 20 dollars a capacitor form grangers that was 15 dollars and a there phase disconnect box and I almost forgot al light switch. I can get some pictures and try and make a wiring diagram if you would like.

Brian

Well now i'm worried about part's if it were to break. I think i'll just hang tight and get a used miller. Thanks for you help though.

wendell
01-07-2005, 07:11 AM
Cdog,

I was able to put together a used sycrowave 300 w/ pulse, bernard chiller, 25ft 20series torch, regulator, foot peddle and torch switch for under $1K. Got most of it off Ebay. Hard to beat the Miller stuff. Keep your eyes open and be patient.

Cdog
01-07-2005, 08:36 AM
Cdog,

I was able to put together a used sycrowave 300 w/ pulse, bernard chiller, 25ft 20series torch, regulator, foot peddle and torch switch for under $1K. Got most of it off Ebay. Hard to beat the Miller stuff. Keep your eyes open and be patient.

That's exactly what I want and what I want to spend. Thanks for the advise.

cybermars
09-01-2008, 03:34 PM
Hi, Cybermars here the welder you've got is pretty high-brow, for some reason they go for more than miller or lincoln, so I would guess that they are not crap. at anyrate things like infinite amprage adjust (not tapped switch) and large duty cycle, as well as maximum amprage obtainable is the key. however a machine could have all that and still suck. the bead (especially hard wire) will let you know pretty quick. good luck,...cyber...

Tiger
09-02-2008, 12:17 PM
Kemppi is made in Finland and its supposed to be very good (comparable to ESAB which is Swedish). I dont have one but all the people I have talked to that have a Kemmpi is really happy about them.

http://www.kemppi.com/

meenaggie
09-02-2008, 05:14 PM
Not only is it 3 phase but it may be setup for 50 HZ if it is designed to use in Europe (instead of 60 HZ in the USA). Be patient and you will find a good machine at a good price. I picked up a barely used Miller Snycrowave 180 with full argon bottle for $1300 (single phase, 240V / 50A). Remember the gas bottles can get expensive so if you buy used figure that in.

Olav
09-03-2008, 10:43 AM
I've never heard of the brand. Do they have a website, or do you have any more information on the welder that you can maybe scan and attach here?

Assuming a good machine, a 250 will weld any thickness steel, and aluminum and mag up to about 3/8" with no pre-heat.

Kempii is a very commond brand. I'm working as a mechanichal supervisor at a shipyard ( www.gmc.no (http://www.gmc.no)) Kempii is the only brand we are using. TIG, MIG/MAG and Arc.

I also have a 15 year old MIG myself and its working perfect.

Olav