PDA

View Full Version : What fluid?

tuff68
01-05-2005, 03:41 PM
I have a Viper T-56 part number tnet 1247. On the side of the case it says to only use Castrol Syntorq LT, Chrysler part number 4874459. I looked this up and it is a 75w85 GL-4 oil. Isn't this way to thick for this tranny? All the other T-56's use Dextron III ATF which is alot thinner. I called Keisler and they said to use Dextron III. I then called Tremec and they also said use Dextron III. They couldn't answer why this tranny calls for Syntorq LT and said that it would make the tranny hard to shift and the synchros sticky. Tremec said all their t-56's were designed to run with Dextron III. I am sure some of you are using the same tranny that I have. What did you use? Can anyone explain the Syntorq LT situation? Help! and thanks in advance! :hmm: :help: :dunno:

barraza
01-06-2005, 08:59 PM
You have a very interesting question, and though I dont have a definite answer, the post below may have a clue. It refers to the nv4500 five speed found in dodge and chevy full size trucks. Dodge may have spec'd the Syntorq because they thought a viper could subject the tranny to loads in excess of what the dextron could take, the same way they found that the nv4500 needed it to handle temps from high torque/high load diesels. Apparently the GL4 rating has enough ep additives to keep the gears happy without damaging any copper alloys and the synthetic handles the temp. My guess is that your tranny would be fine with dextron. I do know that the syntorq is some expensive oil, the last I bought was almost $50 per gallon!!

http://www.pirate4x4.com/forum/showthread.php?s=&threadid=102102&highlight=nv4500+AND+rebuild

TitoJones
01-07-2005, 11:07 AM
I've been using Mobil 1 synthetic ATF for years with great results.

Some may find this kooky, but a few people are using Honda ATF with excellent results.
Tyler

tuff68
01-14-2005, 09:22 PM
Hey guys. Sorry it has been so long to reply. There was bad ice storm in PA and I had to go and get the power back on. Just got home tonight and read the replies. Thanks for the input. I guess I will go with Dextron or a synthetic ATF. Time to catch up on some sleep. :sleeping:

EFI69Cam
01-16-2005, 06:09 PM
I have a Viper T-56 part number tnet 1247. On the side of the case it says to only use Castrol Syntorq LT, Chrysler part number 4874459. I looked this up and it is a 75w85 GL-4 oil. Isn't this way to thick for this tranny? All the other T-56's use Dextron III ATF which is alot thinner. I called Keisler and they said to use Dextron III. I then called Tremec and they also said use Dextron III. They couldn't answer why this tranny calls for Syntorq LT and said that it would make the tranny hard to shift and the synchros sticky. Tremec said all their t-56's were designed to run with Dextron III. I am sure some of you are using the same tranny that I have. What did you use? Can anyone explain the Syntorq LT situation? Help! and thanks in advance! :hmm: :help: :dunno:

My Keisler viper t56 (took 5 freaking months to get) also has the syntorq sticker on it. I've been wondering myself what fluid to use. The heavier fluid would cause more HP loss.
A guy on the other board said that Dodge called for the syntorq to cure a gear rattle situation the rich viper guys were whining about. He never answered me if anything was changed to run the heavier fluid.
I think I will use amsoil atf in mine.

tuff68
01-17-2005, 01:39 PM
It took about the same time to get my tranny too. I went to visit Kiesler while on a business trip to Tennessee. They were very polite and helpfull. They took the time to show me their shop and answer any questions I had. They are very small shop that has outgrown themselves. Once they started advertizing, sales went through the roof and Tremec couldn't build enough of them for Kiesler. It is all about supply and demand and Kiesler is stuck in the middle of it all. I had also talked to Tremec and they realize what is happening with the aftermarket. They are trying to find a way to increase production and come out with new products for the aftermarket. so hopefully things will get better in the future. I don't understand the deal with using gear oil instead of ATF. These trannies have alot tighter tolerances than the old Muncies and T-10s. I am going with ATF also.

MarkM66
01-18-2005, 08:21 AM
I've been using Mobil 1 synthetic ATF for years with great results.

Some may find this kooky, but a few people are using Honda ATF with excellent results.
Tyler

I don't find it kooky. Some say Honda ATF is the best ATF there is.

tommycomfort
01-23-2010, 04:54 PM
Wow, wish I had seen this old thread a day earlier. I just spent $98.44 today for four quarts from the Chrysler dealership. When I asked for a military or firefighter discount they said that was already discounted. Gosh, I wonder why the big three are in trouble!
Tom