PDA

View Full Version : Roll Cage

rsk68
01-05-2005, 12:38 PM
Not sure where to put this, Ralph maybe you can move it if it gets started.

does anyone have any pictures of a DSE 4 point roll cage installed, also what do you think of there cage, @ $700 plus it seems a little steep to me even if it has a removable cross bar, any help would be appreciated.

Thanks
RSK68
Rick klein

68protouring454
01-05-2005, 02:12 PM
rick, scott over at www.lateral-g.net has a dse bar and has it mocked up in is car, email him or check his car out over there, its under gulbranson
jake

quadfather
01-05-2005, 02:54 PM
you could check out competion engineering, there's is less than have of that for a bolt in 4pt. the seat brace isn't removable but the rear legs do bolt on.

TonyHuntimer
01-05-2005, 05:49 PM
I know what you mean. The price is more than the typical drag bar.

I didn't find any pics of it at Lateral-G. I've seen the bar in person. They had it in a car when I stopped by DSE after the Power Tour.

The nice thing about the DSE bar is the fact that it's a lot less "do-it-yourself" than the typical drag racing kits. It tucks up against the headliner better. It also follows the angle of the quarter window trim, so it's less visible from a side view of the car.

Don't forget. You get what you pay for.

:)
Tony Huntimer
RaceHome.com

68protouring454
01-05-2005, 06:52 PM
your right tony, scott had posted some awhile back, maybe he still has them, i figured he had them under his project, guess not, maybe he will chime in or go over there and ask him.
jake

69lt4
01-05-2005, 06:54 PM
DSE put a 6 point in my 69. I believe the bars were already bent before I took my car there. I can e-mail you pictures if there is anything in particular you want to see. The cross bar (behind front seats) is removable. They had the connectors for removing specially made. I need to buy some quick release pins for it.
Kevin

Nine Ball
01-05-2005, 07:28 PM
Rick, are you doing this cage for appearance or for your own personal safety out on the roads? Perhaps to help stiffen the chassis some as well I suppose?

If you have any plans on drag racing and running quicker than 11.49, that 4-point cage will not be legal at the track. A 5-point cage is required as a minimum, and the center bar cannot be removable.

Just a heads up!

Tony

rsk68
01-05-2005, 07:34 PM
Kevin
pics would be great if you have them, i would like to see the package tray area if you could.

Tony
i plan on fabbing up side bars for a 6 point, Kyle dosnt have them in his kit at this time, also i will run a short tube from the main hoop over to the DSE sub frame connectors, would this make it a 8 point?

Thanks
RSK68
Rick klein

JamesJ
01-05-2005, 07:59 PM
Rick, if you will, when you get the pics fost them so we all can see. Thanks

Nine Ball
01-05-2005, 08:05 PM
Traditional 8-point has two small bars that go from the joint on the cross bar and main hoop down to the tranny tunnel. 8-points are not required, it jumps to a 10 point once you have a 9-second car. So, that 5/6 point is good enough for 10 second ETs.

I see rollbars for sale all the time in magazines and such. Most of them relatively cheap for 1st gen f-bodies.

touring67
01-05-2005, 08:26 PM
Since I'm looking at making some good power in my car when it is finally done I have been looking at putting in a rollcage. I really didn't/don't want to just because of aesthetics, accessibility and negligible positive effect. I know they are required in the rules of many sanctioning bodies, but how useful are they really on the street for a TT small block with sticky fat tires, subframe connectors and a 3 link?

nancejd
01-05-2005, 08:31 PM
How safe is a roll cage on the street? If you hit your head on it without a helmet, seems like you could be severly injured. I don't know how you could hit a properly placed roll bar if you had a high back seat.

69lt4
01-06-2005, 04:48 PM
Rick,
I sent some pictures. Let me know if you need any more.
Kevin

MrQuick
01-06-2005, 11:17 PM
James, a properly constructed cage or bar is safe in that manner. Rules have the bar several inches away from ones helmet,that distance would increase without a helmet. I think if a taller person drove that same car you might have problems. The knee bar is a real pain,literaly if your belts are loose.
Tony the 2 small bars actually tie into the subframe connecters or mid frame x member,but yes why not just add the 2 front runners to the front subframe for the 10 point.

nancejd
01-07-2005, 03:02 PM
I can see the bar being not much of a problem, but if a seatbelt can stretch as much as twelve inches, I would think the halo around the top of the car could cause contact, especially in a side impact. I'm just throwing out there that I would have a safety concern in a street car running a cage. If it were me, I would just dial it back at the track if I wanted to drive my car on the street.

MrQuick
01-07-2005, 06:56 PM
Your correct the " headache bar " can get you with out the rest of the safety equiptment. I would not recommend stock belts with the use of a cage. I would use both race belts and stock belt on the street cause race belts will get you a ticket. Always cinch em tight.

PAI Racing
01-11-2005, 01:55 PM
Just a thought on this smacking your head on the cage in an accident. On my car the sheetmetal is only about 1-3/4" farther away from my head than the cage tube (the dia of the tube). It seems to me that we should have the same concern about hitting our head on the stock roof, door or pillars. Come to think of it, that stuff could be a lot closer to your head if you turn the car over without a cage in it.

As an aside, the high density foam rollcage padding does a good job of protecting the driver from incidental contact with the cage. Most race sanctioning bodies require padding wherever you can contact the cage with part of your body. It would be a good addition to a caged street car as well.

Speed Raycer
01-11-2005, 07:40 PM
To bad your not closer! I've been doing mostly full on racecars, but am trying to branch out to street cars. I can do fairly tight bends if you need them and am willing to ship ;) .
https://static1.pt-content.com/images/noimg.gif

Tight cages seem like they're not even there, but always run with padding and belts on a street car. There's some pretty trick new padding styles out there. A lot better looking than the old sticks of foam.

nancejd
01-12-2005, 06:49 PM
The sheetmetal on a car will flex a whole bunch more than the bar of a roll cage will. I guess what it boils down to is that in an impact on the street, it probably is a safety concern, if the impact is severe enough. I'll grant that you would probably be better off in a roll over incident however.