PDA

View Full Version : Not disks but drums

67 caprice
01-05-2005, 12:03 PM
I know this is a disk brake post, but I need help.
I would like to change my 1967 Caprice rear drums to ALUMINUM rear drums.
It would be great if I could purchase these new. But if I need to go to salvage yard what year car, size drum, should I look for? I know some GM cars came with front and rear aluminum drums. My cars rear end is a 12 bolt posi. I have read all kinds of posts regarding rear disk brakes and the benefits just don't seam to be worth the cost. So that’s why I thought that ALUMINUM drums would be a great upgrade.

Thanks for the help
Russ

SHANE 73Z
01-05-2005, 08:00 PM
Russ,

I am running the aluminum drums on the rear of my Camaro. They were available mainly on the third gen Camaros and some early 80s G-bodys. They are for the 1 1/2" X 9" drum setup. They are easily identified because they are finned where iron ones are not. I had to open up the center bore of them to fit over the center boss of the axle.

Take care,
Shane

BRIAN
01-06-2005, 09:30 AM
They make larger ( 12"?)cast drums that may be more suited for your application. Last I saw those aluminum drums were not cheap approx $300 used as all the GN guys race them. Try Praise or MP Brakes for better performing drums. Also CH Topping in CA offers some drilled drums for heat dissipation. Yes drilled rums. Look on his webs site for more info.