PDA

View Full Version : Welding the seams on a stock subrame?

Stu Seitz
01-05-2005, 10:45 AM
I swear I have heard this being done but is it worth it, welding the seams on a camaro subframe? I know that at the factory only 2 inch sections were welded so it seems like a good idea but are the any other sections that need to welded in order to add strenth?

Matt@RFR
01-05-2005, 11:19 AM
I've not once heard of a factory welded ANYTHING breaking from severe use. The only reason I would re-weld anything is for looks.

MrQuick
01-05-2005, 07:18 PM
actually I've seen alot of 2nd gen frames crack around the rear lower control arm mounts under auto x abuse.I've even seen the upper mount rip away completely.
1st gens will get the little rust spots around the UCA mounts. Rust dust usually indicates flexing or movement...cause for concern? maybe. I'd weld it up just to aide in anti flexing...and for looks too. Tip: before welding up the subframe, weld in supports at the front horns, UCA mounts and behind the trans crossmember if you remove it. Welding heat will caust the sections to pull in and thats bad news.

yody
01-07-2005, 08:08 PM
I have to agree with Vince, Do i want to? ...No :) I had my upper control arm mount completely break off the frame and rest against the header, the entire control arm went inboard with it. I actually drove it home very slowly like that. ON a 71 cutlass I had, one of hte lower control arm mounts broke from the frame. I couldnt' drive that!

jeffandre
01-08-2005, 12:33 PM
I have to agree with Vince, Do i want to? ...No :) I had my upper control arm mount completely break off the frame and rest against the header, the entire control arm went inboard with it. I actually drove it home very slowly like that. ON a 71 cutlass I had, one of hte lower control arm mounts broke from the frame. I couldnt' drive that!

Yody,
You're still learning to drive, us older folks don't tear our stuff up... j/k :lmao:

I agree, I will be welding up my stock sub when the time comes (mid-2005). I plan to do it an inch or so at a time, moving around, as well as adding a few extra supportive pieces in strategic locations. Then when it comes time to weld the front part of the cage in I will have the frame checked for straightness first.

ProdigyCustoms
01-08-2005, 02:36 PM
Drag racers do it. It works.

Kenova
01-08-2005, 03:25 PM
When I pulled the subframe out of my '71 Nova, the plan was to clean it up and replace the rubber bushings. When I got all of the krud off of it, I couldn't figure out what was holding it together. I don't wish to offend the visually impaired, but this thing looked like it was welded together by a blind man. There was no way I could every put any great amount of power in the car, or push it real hard in a corner, and feel confident in the subframe. I knew I had that mig welder under my bench for a reason.
Ken

JohnUlaszek
01-09-2005, 03:54 PM
The welds on my Nova subframe were absolutely terrible. Some of the welds weren't even on joints, I think the welder was drunk that day.

scogin918
01-11-2005, 05:03 AM
i welded the top and bottom of my front sub-frame. i wanted as little flex in the chassis as possible. after welding it i sandblasted it and had it powdercoated. it looks good and is resistant to whatever chemicals or rocks thrown its way.