PDA

View Full Version : 68 RS/SS PT Camaro-C4 IRS-custom subframe

Texas Hotrod
08-31-2007, 07:23 PM
I've been a member here for quite a while, and I can honestly say that it's an awesome place to hang out and check out really cool cars. People here are really respectable, it's nice not having to tolerate all the idiots and the bashing that goes on.
So, congrats to everyone.

My car is a 68 Camaro that originally came w/hide-a-way lights, making it an RS. Having the 350 engine and several other options that are SS specific, makes it a true RS/SS. Originally air conditioned and power assisted makes the package even better.

The body had been gutted and partially prepped for repainting. The body was almost rust free (a few minor issues), the rear lower quarters and the doors were perfect. It was wrecked in the front at one time, so it came with a truck load of new parts. New GM front fenders, NOS grille (non RS), NOS core support, bumper brackets, inner fenders and other boxes that I haven't even opened yet. I did find a box that included the instrument cluster, the odometer read 58K miles. Another box contained the console (in poor shape) and the horse shoe shifter (in so-so shape).

I assembled the body so I could start on the initial body work and panel alignments.
The the body is assembled, so I started on the suspension. I mounted the car to a roll-a-round dolly that I made from 4" square tubing. I knew this couldn't be built on jack stands, so my first project was to build a table suitable for the complete car. I shimmed the dolly to make it level on the floor and then leveled the car to the dolly at ride height. I took out the stock 10 bolt and started taking notes and measurements. I had a Chevy truck 12 bolt (3.73 posi) in storage, so I opted to use it. I modded the axle shafts into a car pattern, making a set of 10.5" Z06 wheels fit perfectly in the rear fenders. That was the easy part, now for the front.

I purchased a Crown Vic front suspension unit (wider trac than the Camaro's) for really cheap and spent the last few months building a custom sub frame to mount it to. Modern front geometry and rack/pinion steering will make it an awesome freeway driver. These cars (Ford cop cars) have a coil-over shock design that gives a really nice ride and aluminum construction adds to the uniqueness. I can remove 4 big bolts and the front unit drops out of the frame. Then removing the usual 6 body mount bolts, and the body comes off. It's all built with having quick disassembly/quick assembly/easy servicability in mind.

After all this effort put into the front suspension and sub frame, the low-tec axle was just out of place. So it had to go.
I am currently installing Vette IRS, which I also had in storage.
I made mounting brackets that bolt to different points of the body structure with a crossmember that was then welded to the brackets. The IRS unit is then a direct bolt in ,with nothing permanently welded to the body. It's an issue with being anal about cutting up such a clean original body. Everything is mounted with 1/2", 5/8" and 3/4" grade 8 bolts. So, basically the whole chassis can be disassembled with 3 wrenches and 2 sockets, and all the factory hardware can be bolted back on. So far I've had to drill only 4 holes in the main body structure, nothing else has been hacked on. I plan on building a twin turbo 406 with dry sump oiling, and a TH400.

I have pictures of the build up here:
http://community.webshots.com/user/mosmeyerperformance
There's caption descriptions under some of the pics, so look closely.

There's also pics of my other projects and my friend's twin turbo 1985 Camaro that I also built.
I'll post more pics as work slowly progresses.

Thanks everyone,
Gene.

ViperBlue68
08-31-2007, 07:33 PM
There's also pics of my other projects
Gene.

that jetski is nuts what is the top speed on that thing? how much heavier is it now?

Texas Hotrod
08-31-2007, 08:23 PM
Of all things. Funny you would ask about the ski.

The Toyota engine was as heavy as the Yamaha's, until I installed the header and carbs.
It's heavier than what it used to be, but I'm not sure by how much.
On a slight chop/cool water (hot summer water on the lake slows it down) it's done a best of 64 mph. And that's running around 4K RPM. If I reprop the pump and get the RPMs into the powerband, it'll run faster. It should go 70-ish with more tuning.
It was the first 4-stroke in my area. That's because the 4 bangers hadn't been produced yet.

Sweet Camaro, man. The white stripes really stand out.
My Biscayne is Viper blue too. Does the color look different than yours? I used a gold base to make the color deeper (if that makes any sense).

bdr
09-05-2007, 08:27 PM
That project is going to come out awesome.. (Gene built my Twin Turbo 85 Camaro). Its neat to see the car in original form and then transforming to what it is now. This car is going to be SICK. one-off fabrication is just awesome. it may sound like I'm a cheerleader (LOL), but I'm just amazed with all the work.

Vette rear end installed.. a few bolts and it can come right out if needed.

https://static1.pt-content.com/images/noimg.gif

Subframe connector w/link bars, passenger side.

Rear 18" Hallibrand rims

Tiger
09-06-2007, 04:16 AM
Hey Gene,

you know what I think about your cool project but I thought I'd share.

and yeah, thanks for being a friend and all the help for these years!

BADNBLK
09-06-2007, 07:59 AM
That is a real sweet project you got!! That '85 looks pretty nasty too... Did I see that in PHR? readers ride recently??

Nice work all around!

ViperBlue68
09-06-2007, 11:05 AM
Of all things. Funny you would ask about the ski.

The Toyota engine was as heavy as the Yamaha's, until I installed the header and carbs.
It's heavier than what it used to be, but I'm not sure by how much.
On a slight chop/cool water (hot summer water on the lake slows it down) it's done a best of 64 mph. And that's running around 4K RPM. If I reprop the pump and get the RPMs into the powerband, it'll run faster. It should go 70-ish with more tuning.
It was the first 4-stroke in my area. That's because the 4 bangers hadn't been produced yet.

Sweet Camaro, man. The white stripes really stand out.
My Biscayne is Viper blue too. Does the color look different than yours? I used a gold base to make the color deeper (if that makes any sense).

Your other projects are DEFINATLEY more cool than the ski it just peaked my interest because I was goin to the lake jetskiing that weekend :rolleyes: .....and the paint is different looking on your biscayne for sure....nice projects keep up the goodwork! look forward to updates...

Texas Hotrod
09-06-2007, 07:39 PM
Thanks for the ego inflation, BDR.

Good to see that you still visit here Tiger. You need to post pics of the Chevelle project, including the pic outside of the Ferrari factory.

The '85 was in the last issue of Camaro Performers, BADNBLK.

Thanks Viper.

A few pics of what I did today.

Spacers for the ladder bars at the wheel hubs:

More pics of the whole process here:
http://rides.webshots.com/album/560429995eEhdMS

bdr
09-07-2007, 05:15 AM
@BADNBLK:

no, I think you meant Camaro Performers..yes it was in readers rides.

@Gene:
Glad you have high speed internet..now I can see the progress pics sooner :)

BADNBLK
09-07-2007, 06:13 AM
My fault! With as many car rags that show up at my house I really could have said anything. I did go and re-read the article again.

Kudos!

Twin_Turbo
09-07-2007, 06:39 AM
Why did you set up the forward rods like you did? One of the nice things about a 5 bar system is the fact that you can work with the virtual swing arm created by those 2 without having to use a long swing arm for real, you defeated the whole purpose there and it will also induce a lot moer yaw into the hub assembly and therefore twist the lower camber strut bushings. You basically created a trailing arm suspension with 2 pivots to still allow the rear toe control to function properly.

Texas Hotrod
09-07-2007, 08:01 PM
Many people look at a Vette suspension unit and think "Oh, it's Corvette suspension" and don't know the nuts/bolts behind it. They don't realize that the wheels (wheel hubs) are what push the car, and in reality, doesn't create lifting forces on the body (like in a leaf spring/traction bar/straight axle set up). Engine torque is transferred from the pumpkin, through the torque arm, up to the motor mounts (no tranny crossmember).
A C3 doesn't have a torque arm, and the design of that system creates body squat when under power. I had to think about "yaw" for a minute, until it hit me. I haven't researched the C3's design, but I do know that those use swing arms. The swing arm has a fixed pivot point (aligning takes shimming) which creates yaw during suspension travel. A huge issue when road racing. Road course set-up is far different than what can be run on the street. The C4's design uses tie rods to keep toe-in in check. Caster, camber and toe-in can be easily changed on mine just with the twist of the proper link rod, same as the factory's design.

Most would be offended by someone's questionability. I'm sure most people are trying to figure out where your 4th and 5th bar is by now. You raise a really good point, it's cool to see someone that knows what'a going on (and having a legit question).

I have the luxury of rolling under my C4 Vette for any measurements that I might need, so I have studied it all at virtual ride-height. It has to be built at ride-height, or it'll all be out-a-wack when it's sitting on the springs.
The upper Vette dog bone is near horizontal, the leading end points upwards by 5* (so to speak). When the rear suspension is loaded, the upper link then traveles to/past horizontal, which creates very little spindle rotation by its self.

The lower link is longer than the top, and is closer to vertical by an additional 10*. Your avarage unequal length, unparallel 4-link. As the suspension links travel to/past horizontal (the top achieving it sooner) actually rotates the spindle considerabily. The lower link pushes away on the bottom of the spindle during it's arc. Since the top link is traveling past horizontal, it's pulling forward on the top. The two combined add up to a considerable amount. The rotation rate gets more aggressive the farther the suspension compresses. It does take some effort to rotate the spindle. The lower transverse link has rubber bushings that cause resistance. I plan to replace the stock one with an adjustable rod later on.

I made my ladder bars as long as the package would allow. The longer the the distance between the spindle and the pivot point, the less the rotation. My system will actually rotate less now, than what it would have had with the Vette dog bones. Something else to think about is the how a system will react to brake torque. The longer arm lessens the effects. At least I made my upper link adjustable for final set up. All the Camaros that I have seen with C4 units still use the stock links, not having any adjustability. You are also correct, the rod ends still allow for toe changes.

It was/is a really cherry RS/SS body, the cleanest I've ever found. I'm building everything to bolt directly to the body. Just an anal attempt in not having to hack anything in the process.

Is your '82 up and running yet???