PDA

View Full Version : SBC to BBC

Yeller69
01-05-2005, 10:29 AM
I have a couple of questions.. First off, I am removing my small block and installing a big block in my '69 camaro with factory a/c. Will I have to change the evaporator box. Second question, will I have to change my brake booster? Thanks

Yeller69
Bristow, OK..

Bill Howell
01-05-2005, 03:27 PM
A/C-I am not sure,non a/c cars are different
Brake Booster-Depends on which valve covers(short will work)
Don't forget the other things
A)motor mounts
B)headers or manifolds
C)front springs
D)fan shroud

Yeller69
01-05-2005, 06:00 PM
Thanks Bill.. I think it has the short valve covers and I already have a new set of hooker headers being ceramic coated for the new motor. As for the motor mounts, are you referring to the frame mounts or the block mounts. I have been told by several people that the block mounts from the skinny block will work on the big block. And for the front springs, we are going to wait until we set the bb in the car before we determine whether to change springs. The car sits a little higher in the frontend anyway. Why am I going to have to change fan shrouds? Thanks again for your input..

Garry Roberts
Bristow, OK

Bill Howell
01-05-2005, 06:30 PM
Garry,
The frame mounts are different.The big block (I think) mounts actually are higher to raise the oil pan.The motor mounts will interchange. The shroud differance as I recall will be in the depth(from rad to engine) since the bb is a tad longer than the sb.This would mean the bb shroud is slightly thinner. If you look in the Rick's parts book (or similar) they are listed as different.

BTW- investigation shows you will have to change the inner half of the a/c box

Oh I forgot in the first post. All the a/c brackets are different and the bb ones are somewhat hard to fine. The alternator top bracket is readily avalible but also different.

touring67
01-05-2005, 06:48 PM
If you are having difficulties finding any brackets or changeover parts take a look at Classic Industries they usually have everything you need.

ProdigyCustoms
01-05-2005, 06:49 PM
A/C box is different. Brake booster is the same and will work with short covers. Bill is correct on shroud and also will need a bigger radiator. As well as motor mounts (frame mounts).

68BNUT
01-06-2005, 07:46 AM
Wont he also need to change to a big block heater core?? Since the heater inlet on the firewall for s/b and b/b are different???

harshman
01-06-2005, 09:08 AM
if you have stock springs you will want to replace them regardless of ride height. you are adding a lot of weight to the nose and my car felt like a boat prior to replacing the springs.

Bill Howell
01-06-2005, 10:31 AM
Wont he also need to change to a big block heater core?? Since the heater inlet on the firewall for s/b and b/b are different???

According to Rick's all 69 heater cores with a/c are the same. It would be different if it was a non-a/c car. It looks like he will only have to change the inner half of box.

Yeller69
01-06-2005, 01:10 PM
Thanks guys for all the input. This car means alot to me. It has been a lot of fun so far and I am trying to do things to it that will make it MY car. The motor I am getting already has the alternator, steering pump and a/c brackets on it. I will look into the fan shroud and I have a 3 core rad right now and will probably change it to a new aluminum one this summer. I will order the new frame mounts through one of the camaro parts places online. I have dealt with a couple of them already. As for the frontend springs, I will probably have them changed, but after we install the bb. So, I will only have to change the "inside" section of the evaporator box? That works for me.. I'll order that with the new mounts. Thanks again guys... Anymore ideas for my car? I'm all ears...:)

MuscleRodz
01-06-2005, 02:00 PM
Make sure to use the BB frame mounts. They will move the motor foward so you do not have to dish the firewall. Unless you want to for CG reasons.

Mike

Yeller69
01-06-2005, 05:46 PM
Thanks Mike. I just finished ordering the big block mounts and also the inside portion of the evaporator box from Rick's camaros online.. I'm pretty much set for now. I am pulling the skinny this Saturday evening (I have it sold) and am also pulling the transmission with it so a buddy of mine can go through it for me to make sure it will handle all the hp this new motor will be sending to it. Probably won't be installing the bb for a week or so. That will give me time to get the engine bay cleaned and re-done before we install the bb. I can hardly wait! I never new just how much fun this was going to be.. Are all of you guys out of Texas? Do you ever get together for shows or anything? Just wondering.. Keep the ideas coming.. The more the merrier..

Garry Roberts
Bristow, OK

ProdigyCustoms
01-06-2005, 06:16 PM
Try the small block springs, you may like them. If the ride height is correct, they will be stroeing more energy, meaning they will transfer to the rear wheels better when you use that new big block power.

Yeller69
01-06-2005, 07:30 PM
Yeah, I'm going to go ahead and try the springs that are in it now just to see how it will handle and to see what the profile of the stance will look like. If I find the handling to be too heavy, then I will probably go ahead and get some beefyer coils.. I just want it to be "right" and not have to keep going back to change something that should have already been done. Know what I mean? Do it right the first time :) Thanks for all the suggestions.. Keep 'em comin'...

MuscleRodz
01-06-2005, 07:50 PM
Where are all you Okie's coming from? I used to be the only one. I am just South of Norman. Right now my car in near Enid putting someone else'd kid thru school for another month or two.

Mike

Yeller69
01-07-2005, 05:18 AM
Hey Mike... I am from Bristow, Ok.. between Tulsa and OKC just off the turnpike. I bought my camaro last Feburary from a guy I work with that restored it over nine years ago. I placed in nine car shows last year and not once did I ever see more than two or three '69 camaro's in a show. There are bunches of them on the drag strip though. I'm a member of the Oklahoma Outlaw Racing Assn out of Tulsa even though I don't race my car, I have friends that do race theirs... So, there are a few of us around Oklahoma but most must be hiding their cars in their garage somewhere :)

MuscleRodz
01-07-2005, 08:50 AM
I have been wanting to join a Fbody club around here but they are full of kids with 3rd and 4th gen cars. I do have two 4th gen V6 cars but they are just daily drivers. I think we need an eraly Camaro club here.

Mike

Yeller69
01-07-2005, 10:02 AM
Mike, I know of the Oklahoma Late Great Chevrolet Association which is made up of '55 to '72 chevy cars/trucks. They have a link which is www.tulsachevys.com (http://www.tulsachevys.com)

I know a guy from Bristow that has been a member of this club for quite a while now. He also has a '69 camaro and there are several camaros in the club. He has tried to get me to join but I am not interested in just chevys, I like to be around them all. You might try them and see if it is something you might be interested in..

Garry

Yeller69
01-10-2005, 07:00 AM
Ok... I DO have the tall valve covers on the bb I am installing in my '69 camaro... So, that means I will HAVE to change out the brake booster? Where can I get one and what size should it be? Thanks

Garry
Bristow, Ok

MuscleRodz
01-10-2005, 08:16 AM
Get a Hydroboost setup from Hydratech. You won't be disappointed.

Mike

Bill Howell
01-10-2005, 09:51 AM
The cheaper route may be to get different valve covers! That is if shorter ones clear the rockers,etc...
Also tall ones get really close to the wiper motor somtimes, so look at that too.
BTW- I just noticed a aluminum rad. for sale in the for sale section,check it out.

Yeller69
01-11-2005, 07:48 AM
Thanks for the info. I'll ck out the rad. I have a buddy of mine here in Tulsa checking on another brake booster for me.. I think his Dad owns a shop where they rebuild them.. I have to have the taller valve covers, its' a roller motor... So, change the booster.. yep yep yep...