PDA

View Full Version : Sema membership?

Samckitt
08-31-2007, 07:58 AM
Who on here has a SEMA membership but your work isn't really automotive related? Like myself I work for Siemens (Formerly UGS, the company that writes & sells the CADD system Unigraphics NX), & I would like to go to the SEMA show, but can't because I am not a member. If I remember, the membership isn't cheap.

LMDGUY
08-31-2007, 10:15 AM
If you have any friends that own a shop or evn ask any shop that you deal with to see if you can use there company name to get in.

Chucks73
08-31-2007, 10:18 AM
SEMA Membership can be a cheap as 100 buck a year I guess it depends on how many employees you have. BUT I don't believe that being a SEMA member allows you to go to the SEMA Show.

Per SEMA. "The SEMA Show is the premier automotive specialty products trade event in the world (PLEASE NOTE: THE SEMA SHOW IS NOT OPEN TO THE GENERAL PUBLIC)."

This explains it a little better.

SEMA SHOW CLAMPS DOWN ON CONSUMER ATTENDEES

Connecting businesses and buyers is the fundamental goal of the SEMA Show, and under the direction of the SEMA Board of Directors and the Show Committee, efforts have intensified to ensure the event maintains its trade-only status.

Attendees at the 2006 SEMA Show, for example, will be required to establish their trade status by providing proof of employment at an automotive-related business during the on-site registration process. Individuals will not be admitted simply for showing up with a company’s representative.

In addition, SEMA has increased attention to applications from states near or neighboring Nevada, locales within an easy drive of Las Vegas. Show Management also continues to monitor enthusiast websites for “chatter” about the Show.

For 2006, the badge and badgeholders have been updated. Last year’s badgeholder, for example, will not gain entrance to this year’s Show. Return attendees have been issued Legacy numbers to ensure their continued value to exhibitors. Finally, exhibitors or attendees can call a Show Hotline number printed on the badge to report consumers they believe may be in the Show under false pretenses.

“It’s natural that enthusiast consumers would want to visit the year’s finest collection of automotive speed and style,” says Peter MacGillivray, SEMA VP of Communications and Marketing. “But we also recognize that our primary obligation is to our members, to maximize the time, money and effort they spend at the greatest automotive show

MonzaRacer
08-31-2007, 06:22 PM
wonder if my SEMA/ASE creds count anyway?

Pro-touring towncar
08-31-2007, 09:12 PM
Well I believe it is BS that SEMA acts this way to the automotive consumer. If it was for the consumer there wouldn't be a automotive aftermarket and there wouldn't be a SEMA. The consumer made SEMA what it is today and the directors of SEMA there most likely 6 figure yearly salary.

Tim

Jim Craig
09-06-2007, 12:19 PM
If you're not directly involved in the automotive aftermarket by being either a manufacturer, a WD or a Retailer, why on earth would you want or need to go to SEMA.

Yes, it might seem like the neat thing to do, but why pay all that money, put up with Vegas (even though alot of people love going there and blowing a ton of money), deal with the sea of industry and media people to see new stuff that your retailer is supposed to be showing you (when its available).

Go to any GoodGuys show or "big" street rod show (early next year)and you'll see the same stuff and at that time be able to purchase it because now the company's have gone into production of all these prototype parts and pieces.

Now if you're going there just to "rub elbows" with all the "wheels" of this crazy industry -- well that's why they (SEMA) are becoming so strict on who or what gets in.

quickshift
09-06-2007, 12:48 PM
I wish they had a day at the very end where it would be open to the general public. There is way to mush cool stuff there to keep it all hidden

CraigMorrison
09-07-2007, 04:36 AM
Well I believe it is BS that SEMA acts this way to the automotive consumer. If it was for the consumer there wouldn't be a automotive aftermarket and there wouldn't be a SEMA. The consumer made SEMA what it is today and the directors of SEMA there most likely 6 figure yearly salary.

Tim

But the thing is that the SEMA show is not an automotive consumer show. It is a trade show for businesses to meet with manufacturers, see new products and place orders.

quickshift
09-07-2007, 06:05 AM
I agree ^^, but I think if you let the consumer see the new products it would give you a better feedback on what will be hot and what will not - plus it will drum up excitement. After all it is the consumer who is buying this stuff.

And charge at the door. I would pay to get in!

camcojb
09-07-2007, 06:21 AM
I agree ^^, but I think if you let the consumer see the new products it would give you a better feedback on what will be hot and what will not - plus it will drum up excitement. After all it is the consumer who is buying this stuff.

And charge at the door. I would pay to get in!

The place is huge, and hard to walk through now with all the people. I can't imagine if it was completely opened to the public.

Jody