PDA

View Full Version : Front steer rack&pinion 67-69 F-body

SD495
08-30-2007, 07:20 AM
Hi,

I have a F-body with Guldstrand mod, Koni coilovers and 5" ground clearance under the engine crossmember. I need more space for headers / oil pan and would like to convert to front steer.

I think of placing the rack like this: http://www.trzmotorsports.com/suspension_overall.jpg

I would like to go with Flaming Rivers new Straight Arrow custom billet rack but need to know the correct inner tie rod pivot points.

Looking at the lower control arm pivot points I think it's around 22" apart but not sure how the upper control arm pivot points affect this.

What about vertical placement?

Another thing is I'm running 15x7" front wheels with 5.5" backspacing which means I need very short steering arms.

Any takers?

Thanks, Peter

MrQuick
08-30-2007, 10:06 PM
very tall order with 15" rims

killer69
08-31-2007, 06:56 AM
I don't think you will be able to fit the steering arm on the front side with a 15"wheel with 5.5 bs. the TRZ arms are short,somewhere arround 6" from the spindle centerline. but that is not the issue you have to have the tir rod end in the correct place for the steering (ackerman and bump steer) to not be out to lunch. and even a 1/16 of an inch can make a differance anywhere in the X,Y,Z location.
we did a rear rack conversion with 19" wheels with about 5.75 BS and had to modify the steering arm to clera the wheel