PDA

View Full Version : painting chrome

67BrewserSS
08-29-2007, 11:06 AM
Im planing on smoothing and painting the rear bumper of my 67 camaro. so i was wondering if it is at all possible to paint over chrome with good results? maybe scuff the chrome and use a good primer? im not very well versed in paint and body so any help would be much appreciated. also, if chrome must be striped before painting does anyone have an idea of prices for this kinda of work? thanks:bananna2:

lt1chevelle
08-30-2007, 08:00 AM
i was going to do that to by bumpers i think if you sand then good with 80 then keep working from there it will be fine. or go get them sand blasted

HILROD
08-30-2007, 10:19 AM
Most chrome shops will de-chrome parts for next to nothing. They re-use the chrome. The nickel under the chrome is easy to sand and will hold paint and primer good. It is easy to grind, or sand off too.

67BrewserSS
08-30-2007, 11:18 AM
thanks for the help! i'll check out some chrome shops in the area

CamaroAJ
08-30-2007, 05:53 PM
if you find something let me know cause i was going to do this with my car.

astroracer
08-31-2007, 02:28 AM
Scuff the chrome with an 80 grit pad on a DA. Hit it with some self-etching primer and then top that with some epoxy primer/surfacer. Block it out and you are just about ready for topcoat.
The chrome is so thin you will quickly bust through it with the DA and the self-etching primer gives a great tooth to anything that is left.
I do this all the time with no lifting or peeling issues...
Mark