PDA

View Full Version : check out this welding helmet

Steve Firebird
08-28-2007, 01:05 PM
I came across this helmet looking for a replacement for my auto dark one that is too dark even on the lightest setting for my MIG welding(its a small hobart ) looks like a great idea to me. I just ordered one. No hands needed to raise and lower visor. check out the link to the utube clip !
http://accustrike.com/

Camaro Zach
08-28-2007, 01:28 PM
looks like more parts to fail and more area for dangerous light to leak in.

How light of shade are you wanting to go? 9 would be bare minimum for me, 11-10 ideal. Eyes aren't something to mess around with imo.

TonyL
08-28-2007, 01:34 PM
I thought the same thing Zach. I'd be scared that light would leak in. Im sure that's been thought of though. Or they'd never get rated.

I'd be worried most about holding my jaw open like that. That's gotta hurt after a while.

Steve Firebird
08-28-2007, 01:55 PM
Well maybe my helmet is just not working right but I can't see a darn thing when I am welding. I talked to a couple friends that weld a lot and they tossed the auto dark ones they had a long time ago and went back to the old standard helmets. With the old helmet I use to have I could at least see were my bead was going in relation to the metal. I was just going to buy the old type helmet and saw this one and read the web site. Maybe it will not work. If it sucks I will know right away I will send it back.

Camaro Zach
08-28-2007, 03:15 PM
https://static1.pt-content.com/images/noimg.gif
Huntsman 411P ^ is what I use. Small, lightweight, durable, and inexpensive. And good for people like me who don't have a neck and have problems with hoods hitting your chest lol.

GetMore
08-28-2007, 03:37 PM
Are you turning your helmet on?
Is it light enough to see through until you strike the arc, and then too dark?
Does it have a tint setting? I had a problem with the helmet at work until I realized the tint setting was on the outside. (Didn't think it had one, and I couldn't see a thing with it dark.)

Steve Firebird
08-28-2007, 05:50 PM
It is very lightly tinted untill I strike the arc then it is too dark. I have it set on the lightest setting. Maybe its just broke. I may take it in and get it checked. Thanks

Steve Firebird
08-28-2007, 05:53 PM
https://static1.pt-content.com/images/noimg.gif
Huntsman 411P ^ is what I use. Small, lightweight, durable, and inexpensive. And good for people like me who don't have a neck and have problems with hoods hitting your chest lol.
I was going to get someting like that but thought the hands free deal would be nice. I will let every one know if it works well or is a over complex POS after I get it. I am hoping it works well

JMarsa
08-29-2007, 07:23 AM
I'll stick with my NexGen, It auto darkens for MIG/ARC/TIG and you can use it when grinding or soldering. Works great. Cost about $300. I think it's cheaper than new eyeballs. :eek:

--JMarsa

paul67
09-02-2007, 12:06 PM
I gave up using auto darkners as they were not fast enough and would still get a flashes

JMarsa
09-03-2007, 05:59 PM
Current high grade helmets have darkening speeds of 1/20,000 to 1/25,000 of a second. I think an eye "blink" is measured at 1/10 of a second.

--JMarsa

wendell
09-04-2007, 12:00 PM
Steve,
How many amps are you welding at and what is the shade setting on your helmet?
As for getting flashed because the autodark is too slow: as JMArsa said, it doesn't take too long to polarize an LCD.
I personally use a 10 year old cheap Hobart autodark for MIG and arc. It works great and is super tough. I TIG wih something a little fancier (big window elite).

StRacerDuke
09-04-2007, 12:56 PM
Hahaha, you sure can't teach someone to weld while wearing that helmat.

Steve Firebird
09-07-2007, 04:19 AM
I have the helmet and just do not see how ant light will leak in. I have not had a chance to weld with it yet but the shield moves up and down very easy. I think I am going to like it. I ordered it with # 10 shade. The lowest setting on my old helmet is 6 and I couild not see for crap at any amperage I have ever welded at. I really think it is not working right. I am going to see if I can get it check out by some one. thanks for all the comments.

Jim Nilsen
09-09-2007, 03:31 AM
after welding outside in direct sunlight a long time ago I realized that no matter what helmet you have the extra light will make it easier to see your weld. I worked with a guy who always used a 200w light bulb to light up the area he was welding and he could lay down a weld that was perfect everytime.

Everyones eyes are different ,even each eye is different so to relate your problem to someone elses isn't always the way to get the right answer but brightening up the area is the way to go. Try it outside in the sun and with a light and see what results you get!

I really love my auto on helmet and spent the extra money to get the one that doesn't need batties to change,it uses a solar cell. It does have a lithium ion battery to help it out from the start and it said it had a 7 year life but it has been 12 years and it still works great.