PDA

View Full Version : 69 Firebird progress

steve g
08-27-2007, 07:07 PM
Moving along with my 69 Firebird convertible, although it pales in comparison with some on this site. I just added KRE aluminum heads and Offenhauser valve covers.

69TAPoser
08-28-2007, 03:14 AM
Very nice! :twothumbs

And nice website too. The "Red Bird" is amazingly solid. Where did you find it and how long have you had it?

What are your plans?

Phil

rohrt
08-28-2007, 05:26 AM
Nice looking valve covers.

CliffS
08-28-2007, 07:22 AM
Very nice! Got more specs on the engine?

steve g
08-28-2007, 06:26 PM
Thanks guys. I found the red bird online. It had some mechanical issues, but a pretty solid body. I've found a few areas that need attention, but nothing like the rust issues the yellow one had. The car was originally purchased by a doctor's wife and she had it until '92 and kept it garaged.

It's going to get the TA treatment in a red/black combo. Originally I wanted to do a silver-blue metallic and black, but don't have the budget to do an entire repaint. Frank at Prodigy just got me a TA hood with the steel frame so that is going on soon with his help. Haven't decided yet on the dash or console, since I have a Gennie Shifter. I think I've got it located in the right spot if I want to keep the stock console, but make it look a little like a manual. I'm up in the air about the gauges -- right now budget is the primary concern.

The engine is a 400 out of a 71 Firebird that was rebuilt in the early 90's with TRW forged pistons but stock rods and crank. It sat in my dad's garage until a couple of years ago when I acquired it. It now has KRE Aluminum heads with 74cc chambers, 2:11 and 1.77 valves, a Comp Cams XE274 cam, Comp roller tip rockers, Comp beehive valve springs, Edelbrock RPM intake, 750 Speed Demon carb, MSD billet distributor, a Flow Kooler aluminum water pump, and R.A.R.E 2 1/2 inch long branch exhaust manifolds. The tranny is a BowTie Overdrives level 2, 2004-R with a 2400 stall converter. Current rear is stock, but I hope to upgrade to a 3.73 12-bolt soon.

Future plans also include Wilwood brakes all around and 17" Coys or Torq Thrusts.