PDA

View Full Version : Powdercoat prep?

68nate
08-27-2007, 06:52 PM
I'm getting ready to sandblast my subframe and get it powdercoated. Can I put something on it to keep it from rusting until it is powdercoated? Probably will be a few days after blasting before it is powdercoated.

MrQuick
08-27-2007, 08:49 PM
just keep it dry and do not touch it with bare hands.

most powder painters won't spray it unless it is fully cleaned in house.

GetMore
08-28-2007, 11:57 AM
I've dealt with a powdercoater that wouldn't coat the parts unless they blasted them. The idea was that they don't know how careful you were, and if you did get some oil on there and it peeled they didn't want the hassle.
They did charge by the hour for blasting, so doing it yourself first meant that all they had to do was a light, quick touch-up, so it could save you money.

68nate
08-31-2007, 07:59 PM
thanks guys. I talked to the powder coater yesterday. They will cleanup any surface rust and use some kind of etching compound before coating. We also discussed a high temp coating for headers, anybody done this? Does it hold up?

ctx97
10-11-2007, 09:14 PM
thanks guys. I talked to the powder coater yesterday. They will cleanup any surface rust and use some kind of etching compound before coating. We also discussed a high temp coating for headers, anybody done this? Does it hold up?

Wow, didn't think I could share some information on here already, lol

But anyways, I do some powder coating on the side as a small business. The etching compound is more then likely a iron phosphate solution which helps the powder bond and also prevents flash rusting. The high temp coating will hold, but I would have them ceramic coated which will help reduce under hood temps and help the exhaust flow.

4birdman
10-12-2007, 04:42 AM
ctx97 is right, iron phosphate is what they'd use. I also run a side business powdercoating. :)

High temp powder on headers will NOT last, you must use ceramic coating on them. The high temp powder will work fine for a show car that only gets driven from the trailer to the show spot, but if you drive it any more than that it will start to bubble up and peel.

Trust me, several local shops and I talk a lot and they have all said it won't work. I wanted them to do my headers in my 98 TA and no one would touch it for a driver car. I turn down a lot of manifolds for people who want high temp powder, it just won't work.

ctx97
10-12-2007, 08:03 PM
ctx97 is right, iron phosphate is what they'd use. I also run a side business powdercoating. :)

High temp powder on headers will NOT last, you must use ceramic coating on them. The high temp powder will work fine for a show car that only gets driven from the trailer to the show spot, but if you drive it any more than that it will start to bubble up and peel.

Trust me, several local shops and I talk a lot and they have all said it won't work. I wanted them to do my headers in my 98 TA and no one would touch it for a driver car. I turn down a lot of manifolds for people who want high temp powder, it just won't work.

I've had no issues with the high temp powder, but either way go with ceramic coating.

MonzaRacer
10-12-2007, 08:15 PM
Screw the ceramic coatings, I have had and my buddy has severral sets of coated headers and the stuff turns colors, and also doesnt last like it should.
Find someone who can plasma spray aluminum on headers. A set of alumacoat headers I sold 15-18 yrs ago still look awesome, squirt them with some good carb or brake cleaners and tada look like new even when soaked in oil gets burnt.
I am not sold on ceramic haeders anymore unless they get a thermal barrier coating inside, then it might last, but they still discolor like crazy.
Just my experience.

ctx97
10-12-2007, 10:02 PM
Screw the ceramic coatings, I have had and my buddy has severral sets of coated headers and the stuff turns colors, and also doesnt last like it should.
Find someone who can plasma spray aluminum on headers. A set of alumacoat headers I sold 15-18 yrs ago still look awesome, squirt them with some good carb or brake cleaners and tada look like new even when soaked in oil gets burnt.
I am not sold on ceramic haeders anymore unless they get a thermal barrier coating inside, then it might last, but they still discolor like crazy.
Just my experience.

Who did the coatings? If they did as you say, they were not done properly. They have to coated inside, if not it pretty much defeats the purpose.