PDA

View Full Version : Guldstrand mod + GW UCA

Stu Seitz
01-04-2005, 11:09 AM
Anyone know if it's a good idea? Just got done with talking with someone from Guldstrand inc and they said they were not shure if it was the best thing because they didn't know the true specs on the GW uppers. Thanks in advance

harshman
01-04-2005, 01:20 PM
This one has me scratchin' my arse as well. The main question is with the Guldstrand mod. why would you bolt on a set of the upper control arms for another $500-600 if the desired negative chamber (i think) is achieved? If tubular upper control arms are what you want then go buy these (http://americanracingsupply.com/catalog/product_info.php?products_id=6023&osCsid=76f2108ee2aaab33ca0b934090065202).

MoeBawlz
01-04-2005, 03:33 PM
Imnot positive on this, but i think the GW uppers are set up so that it helps with gaining camber. but i think with the guildstrand and GWs it may be to much. You might want to contact GW on that one.

79T/Aman
01-04-2005, 03:34 PM
check pro-touringf-body.com for control arms

baz67
01-04-2005, 05:29 PM
If you can wait a month or so I will be able to get you the answer you want. A few of us Vegas members are going to measure that exact camber curve and the IC location.
Brian

harshman
01-05-2005, 08:53 AM
If you can wait a month or so I will be able to get you the answer you want. A few of us Vegas members are going to measure that exact camber curve and the IC location.
Brian
I’m thinking you are referring to Tyler and Tom and what not? I’d like to know that info. I’m not saying the high dollar uca's are a waist of money; they just need to be proven and for some reason, the manufacturer has not. However, they had better out perform the Guldstrand mod for them to be worth the money.

JohnUlaszek
01-05-2005, 04:54 PM
If you look at the guldstrand mod section of my web page you might notice the numbers are a little different than typical.
The problem is that there doesn't seem to be a straight answer on the actual numbers for the guldstrand mod and I had the capablity to be precise within thosandths whereas the gusldstrand mod uses a template, Paul Ruggles used a mill to locate the holes. At the moment we have a very very straight subframe and essentially perfectly located uppermounts with respect to the centerline.

I have a very precise starting point such that I can truly tell how the numbers will relate to camber curve. Right wrong or indifferent I will post the numbers, at the very least I can serve as an example of how not to do it......

79T/Aman
01-05-2005, 05:48 PM
correct me if I'm wrong here but changing the location of the pivot point does not have anything to do with the type of control arm you have,as lowerring the cross shaft is the same as a taller spindle or taller ball joint unless you re-locate the cross shaft rear ward right?

Fuelie Fan
01-05-2005, 07:03 PM
correct me if I'm wrong here but changing the location of the pivot point does not have anything to do with the type of control arm you have,as lowerring the cross shaft is the same as a taller spindle or taller ball joint unless you re-locate the cross shaft rear ward right?

most of the aftermarket arms have additional caster built in. I think what these people are wondering is if the guldstrand mod, which shifts the mounting point rearward for additional caster, should be combined with the additional caster from the aftermarket arm.

I would venture to guess that with an aftermarket arm, you may still benefit from shifting the pickup points down, but may not need to shift them rearward. I don't have any suspension software or data to confirm this. Any of the companies that make these arms should be well aware of what the guldstrand mod is; if they aren't you probably shouldn't buy from them anyways. Call them and ask if they have tried it or recommend it.

baz67
01-06-2005, 07:51 AM
Harshman you are correct in your thinking. The problem is trying to make all of our schedules work since we are using my subframe. I will finish the measurements when I get home later this month.
Brian