PDA

View Full Version : Engine Datin

rbr4155
01-04-2005, 08:23 AM
Hey Guys,
I have a 400ci small block chevy in my 69 camaro and I am trying to figure out how to date the block...Looking for any help and suggestions I can get. Thanks!

ProdigyCustoms
01-04-2005, 08:32 AM
Small block dates are on the top of the bellhousing flange. These are cast in rough raised letters / numbers in the rough casting. If you look behind the distributor down to the bellhousing flange, it will be on the pass side a bit and look something like.

B 24 9 which would be Feb 24th, 1969

On the drivers side on the bellhousing flange, kind of under the wiper motor, would be the casting number, prolly ending in 509 or 511 for a 400. There is another casting, a 817 I believe, can't remeber (and I have it in my car, opps), that is also a 400. You are welcome to PM or e mail me your numbers.

Also, if they are still there, if they have not been decked off, there are numbers stamped in the front of the motor, on the pass side where the block extends past the cylinder head. These are stamped number in the machined smooth pad. It will be under the alternator on a 1969. There will be 2 sets of numbers, one telling assemble plant for the engine, assembly date for the engine, and vehicle installed in and CI / HP. Another set of number will be the sequential vin for the car it was born in.