PDA

View Full Version : My LS1 is officially blown

streetk14
08-23-2007, 07:44 PM
After a 6 month ordeal to get the correct parts from a few different companies, my '67 is alive again and I'm quite happy about that. I still have a few problems to work out, but it's on the road and fun to drive.

Here's some info on the engine combo:

2002 LS1 motor
Mp122 intercooled Magnacharger
60 lb. injectors
Holley 90mm throttle body
Patriot Performance stage 2 CNC ported heads w/ 72cc combustion chambers & 2.02"/1.60" valves
Comp Cams XER 224/230 114lsa .590" lift
Comp Cams Hi-tech pushrods
double roller timing chain
Stainless Works 1 3/4" long tube headers

I still need to work on a belt slip problem I'm having. I'm only seeing about 6 psi right now, and I know my pulley combination should be good for more than that. I also am seeing a drop in boost at higher rpms, which is especially bad in 1st gear when the rpm increase in very quick. I have a new solid belt tensioner bracket on the way from Street & Performance that is supposed to cure this problem. I guess I'll see if that's the case next week.

No power numbers yet, but the car is supposed to go to Magnuson for some dyno time. With the belt gripping properly, I'm hoping for 550 rwhp or so. I'll be sure to keep you guys updated.

Andy

CamaroAJ
08-23-2007, 07:48 PM
stock bottom end?

SatisTraction
08-23-2007, 08:32 PM
looks sweet!!

ponjohn
08-24-2007, 03:31 AM
Real nice clean install.

What he said- stock bottom end?

John

Boulder69
08-24-2007, 06:00 AM
Super sano install. That thing should really scoot.

I make it to SB 3-4 times a year. I will send you a PM before the next time I come out.

Rybar
08-24-2007, 07:08 AM
Looks killer Andy, keep us posted with some dyno results!

pennysaver
08-24-2007, 01:12 PM
Nice car. That's my dream car....a first gen with a LSX motor in it. Maybe one day....

streetk14
08-24-2007, 04:00 PM
stock bottom end?

Yep, stock bottom end for now. My plan is to do a forged stroker short block when this one gives up. Hopefully it will be a while as long as I have a good tune. I am not expecting it to last forever, though.

Andy

formula98
08-24-2007, 10:57 PM
Great work Andy. How does it feel with 6 psi boost? I love the way a blown motor pulls. I would hope you feel a big difference.

CamaroAJ
08-25-2007, 06:41 AM
Yep, stock bottom end for now. My plan is to do a forged stroker short block when this one gives up. Hopefully it will be a while as long as I have a good tune. I am not expecting it to last forever, though.

Andy

thats what i was planing on doing as well.

trapin
08-25-2007, 11:54 AM
LOL!!! When I saw the title of this thread I had thought you blew up your LS1 or something. LOL!!! Congrats....the car looks killer and I love the engine treatments.

Nine Ball
08-25-2007, 04:23 PM
about time!!!

haha, looks great.

Tony

WS6
08-25-2007, 06:44 PM
Looks great Andy. As for the belt slippage issues a lot of people find the belts supplied by Magnacharger slip, so they change them out to Goodyear gatorbacks or Gates. We have Goodyear Gatorbacks on all our magnacharged cars with no issues. A couple are running 6.5 lbs of boost. The pulley is also heavy and doesn't grip well. Try www.pulleyboys.com for a different pulley that should grip better.

streetk14
08-25-2007, 10:25 PM
about time!!!

haha, looks great.

Tony

You're telling me! Those damn 122 cores were on backorder from Eaton for what felt like a lifetime. But really, I'm glad it's running and now I just need to work out a few kinks.

Andy

streetk14
08-25-2007, 10:35 PM
Looks great Andy. As for the belt slippage issues a lot of people find the belts supplied by Magnacharger slip, so they change them out to Goodyear gatorbacks or Gates. We have Goodyear Gatorbacks on all our magnacharged cars with no issues. A couple are running 6.5 lbs of boost. The pulley is also heavy and doesn't grip well. Try www.pulleyboys.com (http://www.pulleyboys.com) for a different pulley that should grip better.

Thanks for the info Trey,
I've been looking into the belt slip issue, and have been doing my research with the LS1GTO.com guys since a lot of them are running Magnachargers.

I did change the belt to a Gatorback, and I'm running a fairly large 3.0" front drive pulley. This is a 122 blower, and I ordered it with a 1:1 rear drive setup so that I could keep a larger front pulley on the blower for better belt contact.

From seeing a few other cars with this blower and similar pulley ratios, I feel I should be seeing 10 psi or so with this setup. Although, maybe my motor is moving more air than I thought and I'm really only going to get 6 psi with this pulley combo. I don't really think this is the case due to the boost drop at higher rpm and the excessive belt dust I'm finding on my billet brackets.

I'm probably going to start a thread about my possible belt problem in the FI forum, and maybe we can find a solution.

Andy

class67
08-28-2007, 05:52 PM
looks very nice and hopefully runs even better. Maybe next project i'll try an LS motor

streetk14
08-28-2007, 06:19 PM
looks very nice and hopefully runs even better. Maybe next project i'll try an LS motor

Thanks, if you do it you will not regret it.

Andy