PDA

View Full Version : Mig Welder - Flux core vs. Solid

rob07002
08-22-2007, 10:13 AM
I'm no welder, but I want to learn and get a small 110v for my garage.

What are your thoughts on flux vs. solid core and what do you think about the following welder.

http://www.northerntool.com/webapp/wcs/stores/servlet/product_6970_200318739_200318739

Thanks

rocketrod
08-22-2007, 04:11 PM
If you read the specs on the 125EZ it states, "No shielding gas required; cannot be converted to shielded gas". I would recommend you step up to the Hobart 140,
http://www.northerntool.com/webapp/wcs/stores/servlet/product_6970_200306073_200306073 .

I have the Hobart 140 and it is a really good welder for the $$$. I could have went with a 175 unit, or larger, but I did not want to run 220V, and I won't be welding anything over 1/4" anyways.

JMarsa
08-22-2007, 05:03 PM
IMO flux core wire offers only one advantage, no need for gas.

BUT gas provides better welds and is worth the investment. Do what I did, sign up at a local adult learning or community college welding program. You'll learn way more than you would imagine.

--JMarsa

Todds69
08-23-2007, 06:11 PM
Spend the $$$ and get gas, you'll never regret it.

brooksstls
08-25-2007, 01:01 PM
Just buy ine that can use either or...gas or not. I use flux core in mine a lot, and it works fine.

mikedc
10-12-2007, 06:13 PM
Flux core works in the mechanical sense, but I don't like using the stuff.

If you're gonna finish the surface (body/paint) of the weld in the future, then every bit of the flux residue needs to be cleaned off before the finish work can be done. That issue alone justifies the gas bottle IMHO.

PT Goat
10-13-2007, 05:54 AM
I started with a Lincoln 110v with flux core and taught myself to weld. Adding gas to the equation was too much for me to take on at once, or at least I thought so. Now I've got it down pretty well and I added gas when I was comfortable. Another reason to start with flux is that most welders come with a spool of the stuff, so you can be welding the same day. You can then buy the tank/gas and spread the cost out a little.

absintheisfun
10-13-2007, 08:11 PM
I picked up a Clarke unit from the Northern Tool in Dallas. It came with everything I needed to get going (video, wire, cart and helmet). You can convert to Gas if you choose so later. I'm not there yet, but having the option is comforting.
http://www.northerntool.com/webapp/wcs/stores/servlet/product_6970_200310825_200310825
After ripping apart a few "practice" panels, I picked up some .030 flux wire

MUCH EASIER to handle in my opinion. I finally got it down to the point where I'm not embarrassed to show the welds...

Today my .030 spool emptied so I put on the .035 that came with it....holy $#!%

It felt like I was trying to wrestle a pissed off Bull! Tomorrow I'm going to pick up another spool of .030

Who'd a thunk it----one one-hundredth of a mm makes ALL THE DIFFERENCE IN THE WORLD!

JMarsa
10-15-2007, 07:05 PM
Are you refering to the wire speed? Or running it through the gun? Sounds like you need to slow down the wire.

--JMarsa

vintageracer
10-16-2007, 04:45 AM
Virtually EVERY major city has a welding shop or used tool shop that is "the" place for used welding equipment. You may not save any money over a new "cheap" wire welder however you will get a MUCH better piece of equipment.

I have always bought "high end USED tools". Many of which I have owned over 20 years with NO problems. It's worth the time and effort to check around!

chevelle19700
05-06-2008, 06:47 PM
i say check craigslist i just picked up a lincoln 135t in the box never been opened for 275 it came with mask tank attachments and gauges as well the user guide and warranty info

ls1 nova
05-08-2008, 07:17 PM
Go with vintageracer. My garage is full of used higher end stuff. Save some money and get good stuff. Lifetime investment. Will make your life a lot easier!

rob07002
05-09-2008, 10:08 AM
I forgot all about this thread. You've convinced me to go alittle higher end and will probably look into a 110v hobart, lincoln, or miller.

Thanks

flynbrian
07-30-2008, 07:39 AM
I bought my Lincoln Weld-Pac 100 From Lowes around 1994...It was flux core...I bought a conversion kit to gas in 2000....I wish I would have bought the kit earlier....

BUT....The Flux core in the little welder would weld thicker metal better than the mig does. You have to switch the polarity in the machine to go to MIG For the lincoln that took ten minutes of switching stuff around via the manual.

For me the little lincoln was cheap and a awesome little machine. I use it all the time...I have had very little need ever yet for a bigger machine. 99% of my welding is fixing stuff and little work. Big Big work I take to the office where we have a 250 Miller.

shortrack
04-04-2009, 10:37 PM
After ripping apart a few "practice" panels, I picked up some .030 flux wire

Today my .030 spool emptied so I put on the .035 that came with it....holy $#!%

It felt like I was trying to wrestle a pissed off Bull! Tomorrow I'm going to pick up another spool of .030

Who'd a thunk it----one one-hundredth of a mm makes ALL THE DIFFERENCE IN THE WORLD!

picked up some .030 today......your right.....Big difference.

Good tip....!!!!!!

Mathius
04-05-2009, 05:26 AM
I started with a Lincoln 110v with flux core and taught myself to weld. Adding gas to the equation was too much for me to take on at once, or at least I thought so. Now I've got it down pretty well and I added gas when I was comfortable. Another reason to start with flux is that most welders come with a spool of the stuff, so you can be welding the same day. You can then buy the tank/gas and spread the cost out a little.

Yeah, but flux core also burns hotter so I could argue its harder to learn with flux core on thin metal.

Plus most of the flux core wire on the market is junk. If you don't keep it warm and dry like 7018 rod, it just goes bad. Almost every structural shop I know uses double shielding for flux core and they're finding that a lot of people who LOOK like they're putting down good welds are actually putting down crap welds that are failing..

Mathius

gto406
04-05-2009, 07:24 AM
I believe flux-core is designed for welding outside (e.g. a farmer repairing a tool like a tractor) in the field - where wind is a factor (i.e. it blows any flux-welding gas out of the path of the wire).

To me if your in 'controlled conditions' flux-shield gas is a must-have!

Best o'luck,
Brian.

shortrack
04-05-2009, 01:07 PM
I believe flux-core is designed for welding outside (e.g. a farmer repairing a tool like a tractor) in the field - where wind is a factor (i.e. it blows any flux-welding gas out of the path of the wire).

To me if your in 'controlled conditions' flux-shield gas is a must-have!

Best o'luck,
Brian.

Really eh'.......my welder can do both.....I should get a bottle set up and give it a shot.

I do know a guy who is not a pro but restores one car after another actually sold his small gas mig and bought a cheapo and uses only flux....in his words "you grind it all off smooth anyway.....so who cares (what it looks like at first)"??

I got tons of $$ into a shop and tools.....I should go down that road.

MonzaRacer
04-08-2009, 08:34 PM
Got an Astro Pneumatic 110 welder, can run gas but has flux core for now as couldnt afford gas, maybe this summer.